Isle of Dogs review

so I just checked my local theater and we’re getting Isle of Dogs this weekend, and if we are getting it in Montana, I have to imagine it will be near the guys this weekend. Any chance for a first run Bald Movie review @Jim @A_Ron_Hubbard? No biggie if scheduling doesn’t allow, but thought I’d ask.

thanks!

Comments

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    I loved isle of dogs, amazing how emotional a claymation dog could make me.

I know it wasn't J&A's fault, but I was pretty disappointed when it got replaced with pacific rim
  • I thought it was okay, I wish they had used the other dogs in the pack more. It was mostly Chief and Atari. I liked both those characters, just missed the rest of the pack.
    johnnytruant
  • This movie was fine. The stop-motion/art was cool and at times stunning, but it seems to take priority over story and character. I've had this complaint with a lot of recent Wes Anderson and I realize I'm probably in the minority since it seems like a lot of people regard Grand Budapest as one of his best.

That said, getting to listen to Bryan Cranston do his thing for the better part of an hour is worth the price of admission.
    Doctor_Nick
  • I had similar feelings about Isle of Dogs, but definitely not Grand Budapest Hotel.johnnytruant said:
    This movie was fine. The stop-motion/art was cool and at times stunning, but it seems to take priority over story and character. I've had this complaint with a lot of recent Wes Anderson and I realize I'm probably in the minority since it seems like a lot of people regard Grand Budapest as one of his best.

That said, getting to listen to Bryan Cranston do his thing for the better part of an hour is worth the price of admission.

• I definitely enjoyed Grand Budapest a lot more, it just seemed to be trending towards where we are with Isle of Dogs. I think he's at his best when his movies focus on larger than life personalities living in a grounded, albeit twee painted world, colored with a stellar original soundtrack.

Lately, his movies rely on increasingly outlandish characters (sometimes to good effect like Gustav H), and diorama-style set dressing and action pieces. I get that this kind of comes with the territory in a stop-motion film, but I thought he was much more successful with Fantastic Mr. Fox where the characters had a lot of heart. Here they just have wet eyes.

There's certainly an aesthetic to it, and I get that people find it appealing, I just prefer the former.