Lost In Space on Netflix

Anyone else check this out yet? I’ve only seen the first 2 episodes but it’s a hell of a lot of fun so far. It might be the most beautifully filmed show I’ve ever seen.
kingbee67ElisaJovial_Falconrustywright4GruffyWinters

Comments

• kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I’m in three or so and I like it. 
    I saw all these bad reviews and was hesitant about it. I think it’s better than a lot of stuff I’ve seen this year. 

Having the Parkster in it helps and the lady from Deadwood and House Of Cards.
    Elisa
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Somehow convinced my wife to watch the first episode and we're both hooked. Nice to have another show to watch.
  • I haven't seen it yet, but it was shot in British Columbia with a Canadian film credit...that's my tax dollars at work!
    ElisaKingKobraMajorMalfunction
  • It was decent, it’s not “great”, but I’ll be back for S2 if they do it. This is a “lightweight Sci-Fi” show that would be good for family watching. It was a delight to watch in DV as well. 
    Elisa
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    I'll probably pass on S2. I could deal with room-temperature "liquid" methane, but having the existential threat to the planet go from being sucked into a black hole to being some sort of cyclical overheating (after which the Robinsons could return?), and after showing us their mother ship pretty thoroughly destroyed, to have it show up looking hardly damaged?

Sloppy writing is all. And no need for any of it. 
    ElisaDreamRycher
  • I'll probably pass on S2. I could deal with room-temperature "liquid" methane, but having the existential threat to the planet go from being sucked into a black hole to being some sort of cyclical overheating (after which the Robinsons could return?), and after showing us their mother ship pretty thoroughly destroyed, to have it show up looking hardly damaged?

Sloppy writing is all. And no need for any of it. 
    Heavily damaged, but not destroyed. They weren’t going to get sucked into the black hole (that wasn’t the real problem). The black hole altered the orbit of the planet to Travel dangerously close to the star, which caused the effects we saw. 
  • Was finally able to binge the whole season. Liked it enough, but nothing special. Like the 'robot' character design, some of the other CG was hit and miss. Some of the sci part of the sci-fi was a bit off-putting. At one point I think somebody said they were trillions of light years of course (uhhh...), and other strange little things that seem way to advanced for a current or very near-future humanity (other than the reveal toward the end)

My biggest problem with the show was that so much of the tension was predicated on certain characters having vital information that other characters needed to know, but just didn't/couldn't/wouldn't tell them. I think my years as a BaldMove TV consumer has taught me that this is kind of a cheap trick to create drama where there really shouldn't be any. If an entire story arc can be solved by a character leaving a post-it note of information for somebody, then there's a problem with the way the story is being told.

The mystery of the robot and why & where it came from was much more interesting. By the time we got to some of those reveals and themes, the season was over and never explored. That looks to be where the future of the story is going, so that's good.

They also seemed to try to go on the fine line of campy re-boot vs gritty re-boot but I think would have been better served to go further one way or the other. Will watch again if they go for season 2, but hope there's less of the weird sit-com like manufactured drama.

Elisa
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    It's good family sci-fi. I like the "problem of the week" format, which is kind of a throw back in this golden age of television. It's a series that the wife and I could have on while the 3 year is running around the living room with us. The trade off is that it's fairly low concept sci-fi. Some of the situations and "science" behind it were pretty silly if you thought about it for more than a second.
    ElisaMsAnne
  •  The trade off is that it's fairly low concept sci-fi. Some of the situations and "science" behind it were pretty silly if you thought about it for more than a second.
    Ya. I don't know what I expected when I tried to watch it.. When they took off thier helmets, I was out. That's how far I made it lol 
    Elisa
  • I watched the first couple episodes but wasn't really impressed. I might come back if I'm bored but there is probably better stuff to watch.
    Elisa
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    I enjoyed the show. Every since Black Sails I’ve become a fan of Toby Stephans. Will reminds me of Aron’s boy Jack aka minedragon. 
    Elisa
  • I really enjoyed it, enough to put any nitpickery aside. Sometimes I find myself high-concept'ed out and just want a new popcorn-eating show; this fits the bill nicely. 
  • I guess I'm an outlier, I really liked it!  I thought some of the teen drama was a bit overdone, but they had to have them do something so why not.  It was entertaining and Dr. Smith was played really well I thought.  I'll catch Season 2 if there is one...
  • watched the first 2 episodes, beautifully filmed probably even better than The Expanse. But the politics in The Expanse makes that show much more interesting. This seems like a good show to background watch, i'll probably finish it out at some point. 
  • Parker Posey reminded me a lot of Emily Hampshire (Jennifer from 12 Monkeys)...
  • mjmullady said:
    I guess I'm an outlier, I really liked it!  I thought some of the teen drama was a bit overdone, but they had to have them do something so why not.  It was entertaining and Dr. Smith was played really well I thought.  I'll catch Season 2 if there is one...
    Yeah, as a former teen myself- I can vouche for the drama pretty much always being overdone.
    AshleyOcean
  • It was fun to binge watch (one per night).  And it won't matter if we forget the silly plots from season 1 when season 2 rolls around.