302 - IFF

Directed by: Breck Eisner
Writing Credits: Ty Franck & Daniel Abraham & Hallie Lambert

I don't get these credits.  IMDB seemingly lists Breck and Ty and Dan (creators of The Expanse novel series) for every episode.  Is this legit?  Or should I just credit the staff writer?
KingKobra

Comments

• edited April 19
    Not sure about every episode (or the director), but I just saw Daniel and Ty tweet that they actually wrote tonight’s episode..IFF
    Elisa
  • edited April 19
    I hate seeing these posts every Wednesday night.  The 1 day a week I work late is Wednesday nights so I can't watch it live. I know 1 person isn't going to change the popularity of a show but with a show that desperately needs the numbers I feel partially guilty not being able to watch it live.
  • Man, the Roci/Razorback stuff was fucking awesome. The show continues to use to nature of space and spaceflight to ramp up the tension. Not so keen on the introduction of this Anna character. The dialogue in those scenes was alright, but this actress looks like she doesn't know what to do with her face. I'm guessing it's supposed to be an affect, but it's very distracting. Hopefully, she'll round into round into a decent surface level foil for Errinwright.
    ElisaThe_Third_Man
  • Amazing episode...especially the Roci/Razorback battle. Can’t wait to see it again...I wonder if rewatching it online helps the overall viewership numbers at all?
    Elisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I'm glad my gaydar is working re: Anna. I loved all her scenes... and I love that this show is continuing to keep small stories going. That's something Game of Thrones stopped doing and it suffers for it.
    ShumElisaThe_Third_ManFlukes
  • ShumShum Utah
    Really enjoyed this episode.  I'm also liking Anna so far, but that might partially be due to how much I liked her character in Lost. The space battles were awesome and Amos continues to be the baddest of asses.  Excited to see more worlds collide as Bobbie and Avasarala join Holden and crew!
    Elisa
    My one negative thing:

I still don't like the child/protomolecule hybrid thing. I didn't like it last season and now it's like they're just trying again... and I think I know where it's going, where Prax will save his daughter, where her humanity (kept alive via her mutation) will respond to his humanity, and so I automatically am setting myself up to dislike that. Because this particular redemption arc is just so played out.

I was complaining about this not happening last season, and now it seems to be happening this season, but (1) I never really wanted it to have a rosy twist. I wanted it to be dark. (2) Just because you should have done it like this last time doesn't mean I'll accept it when you run the simulation through again.

... or maybe this is weird because of how the seasons are situated with the books. The 2nd half of a season is the beginning of a book, the 1st half of a season is the end of a book. So perhaps if the child/protomolecule story happened over one season I wouldn't be noticing any of this.

Bah.

Whatever the reason, it's not working for me.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles

A few thoughts...

@JaimieT hold on because The Expanse is never truly rosy. That’s all I will say for now. 

The actress who who plays Anna is not my fave. In her previous shows other than Lost, she didn’t have much range, but I am hoping read she will grow on me and the writing and story will make it work. I liked that they showed her family. They are bringing this character foward from the books like they did with Avasarala so I need to have patience. 

Two badass scenes - Bobbie and Crisjen in the Razorback and Prax and Amos during the space fight. Hot damn! 

Another great episode. 
    The_Third_Manjayneely71FlukesMelonusk
  • BTW, nice upcoming scene for episode 3 on Syfy.com...stated that it was "unlocked" after I rewatched "IFF" online.  Not sure if that's actually a prerequisite for viewing the sneak peek...it was a pretty cool scene of Bobbie and Roci crew "getting to know each other" ;-)  
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Man I wish more people would watch this show, it’s so fucking good and so underrepresented. As far as alien kids go I wouldn’t be surprised if this ends badly for Prax and Mei. 
    JaimieTFlukes
    Elisa said:

A few thoughts...

@JaimieT hold on because The Expanse is never truly rosy. That’s all I will say for now. 

The actress who who plays Anna is not my fave. In her previous shows other than Lost, she didn’t have much range, but I am hoping read she will grow on me and the writing and story will make it work. I liked that they showed her family. They are bringing this character foward from the books like they did with Avasarala so I need to have patience. 

Two badass scenes - Bobbie and Crisjen in the Razorback and Prax and Amos during the space fight. Hot damn! 

Another great episode. 

Cool. Just don't spoil it for me, okay? You cavalierly dropped a big spoiler in the Star Trek thread, so I want to clarify that while I might angst about something, that does not mean I will feel better if I am told outright. Your reply here was fine, although I do admit I was flinching while I was reading it. ;)
    ElisaFlukes
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Um I did in Star Trek Discovery????  I was watching it weekly, um ok.  :p
    edited April 19
    Elisa said:
    Um I did in Star Trek Discovery????  I was watching it weekly, um ok.  :p

Yes, and you've read books that exist in the public domain. I just want to make myself clear since I didn't complain about it then. You're right, there's a smidge of plausible deniability in your 2 word comment that happened to address my complaint. But with the Expanse, I do appreciate discretion regarding your book knowledge, and I think others would too.
    rkcrawfElisa
  • Random comment...I love how characters' names have nothing to do with what they look like. Seems to be a very positive take on the diverse and inclusive future of the system. Prejudice, while still very much present and driving the narrative antagonism, seems relegated to location and not genetics.
    FlukesElisa
    edited April 19
    Man, if Earth still had the divisions we currently have in the 23rd century during this sort of conflict, Mars would crush us. They’d have their “what’s good for Mars is good for everyone” schtick down and bomb us from orbit while we’re still arguing about border security or some shit. 
    edited April 19
    I will say I’m not certain if it’s realistic to believe Earth would eliminate racism like that even in a few centuries. 
    Elisa
    Alkaid13 said:
    I will say I’m not certain if it’s realistic to believe Earth would eliminate racism like that even in a few centuries. 

The only thing in favor of it is intermarriage and a mingling of the races. I think that could happen in America, but there are many homogenous countries out there... Like China, for instance.
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Maybe not...but this is fiction. And in this universe nationalism is no longer an issue so racism's apparent elimination seems to track. Particularly when there are other, external methods of division.
    Yeah and interstellar colonization would certainly go a long ways to reducing intraplanetary division. 
    Elisa
  • But the -isms are never likely to go away completely. If religions are still around in this time period, and seemingly thriving, anything is possible. I disagree with the writers on that bit of world-building, though. Maybe I just cannot imagine, given its current state of decline and our rate of scientific discovery, that deification would still be a thing.
  • edited April 19
    Alkaid13 said:
    Yeah and interstellar colonization would certainly go a long ways to reducing intraplanetary division. 
    yep
    I think it would be interesting if a new religion developed around the discovery of a new alien life form outside the realms of our current understandings of the laws of physics. 
    Like people have developed religions to explain natural wheather phenomena like lightning, imagine trying to explain how actual aliens work. 
    The_Third_Man
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Eh, it really only took a few hundred years for the concept of a "state" going from abstract to the default.  It's taken much less than 300 years for the United States to stop seeing themselves as a confederation of States and more as a actual nation.  What will probably happen is the continents will unite ala the EU and borders become less and less important. Maybe it's a stretch to believe it, but not nearly as big a stretch as inventing something like the Epstein Drive.
    ElisaFlukes
    I mean I’m willing to believe it in the universe of The Expanse, less so in real life but also I don’t know if our space program would be as advanced in 200 odd years as in show either. 
    Then again the internet is basically only a few decades old so who knows what space travel looks like in two centuries. 
  • Eh, it really only took a few hundred years for the concept of a "state" going from abstract to the default.  It's taken much less than 300 years for the United States to stop seeing themselves as a confederation of States and more as a actual nation.  What will probably happen is the continents will unite ala the EU and borders become less and less important. Maybe it's a stretch to believe it, but not nearly as big a stretch as inventing something like the Epstein Drive.
    Yeah the biggest leap they made -- but had to make given the distances we are talking about -- is the propulsion of the ships. Most of the rest of the tech (protomolecule aside) seems only a few generations away. Accepting the Epstein makes so much of the rest of the world-building very believable and consistent. Without the ability to get around the system as relatively quickly as they can none of this would be possible.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    @JaimieT I haven't read any Star Trek books... :o :/ :|
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 20
    Most unrealistic thing about this episode:

Distance Io to Earth: 390 million miles.

Speed of light: 186,282 miles per second

390 million / 186,282 = 2093 seconds

2093 second / 60 seconds= 34.89 minutes for light (or say..... super facetime waves) to reach Earth from Io.
  • edited April 21
    Science-ignorant question that bugged me: When Bobbi says she could do four more g's standing on her head, isn't that at odds with her Martian physiology?  She had to take serious meds to walk around under Earth's gravity, and I thought a G-Force referred to some factor OF Earth's gravity?  So even if she's in space, wouldn't it crush her bones even faster than Avisarala's?