Best "Cat and Mouse" Stories

ShumShum Utah
I recently watched "Heat" for the first time and realized one of my favorite things in fiction is watching two really intelligent adversaries go head to head.  Maybe "cat and mouse" is too specific a term for this type of story, but it's the closest thing I could think of.  Here are some of my favorites:

1. Hell and High Water
2. Death Note (original anime series)
3. Breaking Bad (Walt vs Gus, Walt vs Hank)
4. The Wire (McNulty vs Stringer Bell, Lester vs Marlo)
5. The Departed

What are everyone else's favorites/recommendations?

ChinaskiTravisMurderbear

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    No Country for Old Men
    ShumcdrivegguenotMurderbearDee
  • The French Connection, Catch Me if You Can, The Hunt for Red October, Zodiac
    ShumKingKobraJaimieT
  • ShumShum Utah
    All great pics.  I really need to get around to watching The French Connection.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Don Draper vs. the head of McCann-Erickson in Mad Men.  *long drawn out whisper* Cocaaaaaa- Coooooolaaaaa.....

JaimieT
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    @Shum

I watched French Conection last month, they had it on HBOGO. It was great, I mean real great. I love that late sixties/early seventies New York.

as far as cat and mouse I think the spy movies based on John Le Carre books. 
    seen and liked
    The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Smiley's People

ShumDoctor_Nick
  • Would Alien/Aliens count? 
    Leon The Professional? 
    Silence of the Lambs? 
    The Killing (season 1 &2)
    Natural Born Killers? 
    Point Break (Keanu/Swayze)
    Jason Bourne movies? 

gguenot
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited April 19
    "There is a mole at the very top of the Circus, Jim"
    " He's less pleased though, with our progress with our American cousins. You see, in their eyes... You're still a leaky ship."

The Smiley miniseries and the books are excellent as well.

kingbee67 said:
    @Shum

I watched French Conection last month, they had it on HBOGO. It was great, I mean real great. I love that late sixties/early seventies New York.

as far as cat and mouse I think the spy movies based on John Le Carre books. 
    seen and liked
    The Spy Who Came In From The Cold
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
    Smiley's People

Oh, right in this genre and very sad is The Lives of Others.

majjam0770

• Oh, right in this genre and very sad is The Lives of Others.
    Such a great movie!
    Doctor_Nickmajjam0770
  • Best cat and mouse game I’ve ever read was “Rogue Male” by Geffory Household. It’s a movie as well, which is pretty good, but the book is amazing.
    i got 3 where 'the hunted becomes the hunter'..

Rambo First Blood
    Surviving the Game
    Apocalypto
  • The Fugitive?

MrXKingKobra
  • edited April 20
    Almost forgot Predator movies. Also the major Horror franchises (Halloween, Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street). 
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 2
    @KingKobra oh snap! Predator. The first two overwhelm you so much with the crazy action and side stories that its easy to forget that you're watching the baddest cats in the galaxy stalk the baddest mice on Earth.
    Doctor_Nick
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    tom_g said:
    The Fugitive?

Underrated and overrated. Love it.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2
    I always thought Death Note and Breaking Bad were very similar. Now that you mention it, this is my jam too.

Movies I own that haven't been mentioned yet...

There Will Be Blood
    3:10 to Yuma
    Whiplash
    The Bridge on the River Kwai 
    The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence

Some romance versions: The Remains of the Day, You've Got Mail, Much Ado About Nothing (Kenneth Branagh), The King and I (musical), My Fair Lady (musical)

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell is a period fantasy novel, my favorite novel, and it fits the bill although it's long. There's a BBC miniseries that's decent enough, but the competition element feels toned down. It's there, there's just less of it.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2
    Oh, and anime! While Death Note is my favorite anime, Fate/Zero comes close for me. It's not 2 main characters standing off, but there's a lot of stand offs. It's got a Game of Thrones vibe...

Fate/Stay Night is shonen tripe; don't confuse the two. 
  • There was a murder movie with Anthony Hopkins where he killed his wife, but was brilliant enough to make it where he couldn’t be convicted vs the detective who was having an affair with his wife. 

It it was amazing. 
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 2

Doctor_Nick
  • I looked it up, the movie is call "Fractured."  Anthony Hopkins' character literally confesses to the murder, and then Ryan Gosling's character has to deal with the trial (it doesn't go as easily as you imagine).

Hopkins is puppeteering everyone in the universe the entire movie.  It was very, very good.
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Killing Eve has been outstanding in its first season on BBC America.
    how bout The Revenant?

• Fargo season 1:    

Lorne Malvo vs Lester 

• seanrayseanray Texas
    @cdrive’s movie is Speilberg’s Duel. One of my favorite films, written by the same guy who wrote “I am Legend.”
  • Se7en and Ronin come to mind.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    The Dark Knight
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Les Miserables - Jean Valjean vs. Javert
    Shum
  • Counterpart: Howard Prime vs Baldwin

If those 2 were to ever team up... God have mercy on whoever they go after and whoever gets in the way. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    I’ve gone too far down this thread without seeing Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

”who are those guys?”
    Chinaski