Killing of a Sacred Deer - I need to discuss (Spoilers)

BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
So, friends told me about the movie last night and we normally have VASTLY different views on movies.  When they said it was "messed up and terrible" but insisted I watch it - I was up for the challenge.

FUCK I was not expecting this crazy ride.  It's messing with my head even to this day, and I cannot get that girl's singing out of my head.

Anybody else watch this movie and is willing to discuss?
CretanBull

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Yeah! I enjoyed it, but I'd already seen The Lobster and Dogtooth so I knew what to expect. And when I say "enjoyed" I mean I couldn't look away. It's not a movie I'm rushing out to rewatch anytime soon. 

I think it's meant to remind you of Greek myths. This mortal who is unlucky enough to attract the attention of a god. 
    CretanBullbazjenster
  • I watched it with my wife, brother in law and his partner just as it came out.. We wanted to get out of the rain and went in 'completely blind'. We all came out saying 'WTF have we just seen' and feeling annoyed about the experience but all the way home we couldn't stop talking about it and even now (6 months on) we still refer to it and try to make sense of it so I would say that as a piece of art it successfully got us to 'feel' something and provoke us into discussing it at length (even if it was through gritted teeth).. So arguably for me it is a great piece of art.. Even if it is something I do not want to experience again in a hurry!! :)
  • I enjoyed it, I had the same feeling I had as when I was watching Prisoners.  In how far someone goes when family is involved.  Did I miss it or maybe I don't remember, but was it ever explained how the boy was getting the family members ill?  
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I enjoyed it, I had the same feeling I had as when I was watching Prisoners.  In how far someone goes when family is involved.  Did I miss it or maybe I don't remember, but was it ever explained how the boy was getting the family members ill?  

You didn't miss anything, and the movie itself didn't really invite much speculation on that front. IIRC, the characters themselves didn't grapple with the how. Which is again what reminds me of Greek mythology. 

It's possible the father caused undo suffering to his family by being in denial about his lack of options for so long.