Anime!

Any anime watchers out there? Currently watching My Hero Academia is it’s really good so far— funny and light hearted
ChinaskiGeomec

Comments

• ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i dunno if this counts but i always thought Ninja Scroll woulda been a bad ass video game back in the day.
    cdriveDoctor_Nick
  • Never watched it, but it counts!
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited April 22
    Been catching up on some old school anime, just finished up Cowboy Bebop and started Ghost in the Shell. Waiting on FLCL Progressive in a few months. 
    gguenot
  • Cowboy Bebop is a classic and a fav
    gguenot said:
    Never watched it, but it counts!
    dude, watch some Ninja Scroll. if i could gift it to you I would.
  • Alright for sure, I’ll check it out!
    i still have the VHS haha

gguenot
  • I don’t watch a ton of anime, but I love Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo. And of course Studio Ghibli, but I don’t know if people count them.

One of my faves that I don’t see a lot of people mention is Paranoia Agent. It was made by Satoshi Kon of Perfect Blue and Paprika fame.
  • edited April 24
    My anime shortlist:

-Cowboy Bebop -- Bounty hunters in a Western set in space with cool characters, great score, great animation, and excellent writing.

-Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -- Teeters a little too close to anime tropes sometimes, but its plot is very intriguing and presents some interesting themes. The characters are amazing, as well. (on Netflix)

-One-Punch Man -- A hilarious send-up of superheroes with awesome animation. (on Netflix)
  • If you like OPM you’d definitly like My Hero Academia 
  • Though my anime game isn't as strong as the old days, I found"Your Name" to be a pretty good movie. Also stumbled across A Silent Voice, which is long but if you have the patience is a pretty strong film
    gguenotstevenduran1240
  • I really enjoyed this - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5_Centimeters_per_Second
    (It is by the same person as "Your Name", which, I haven't actually seen)
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • Last anime I watched was Made in Abyss on Amazon Prime. Before that, Castlevania and Fate/Zero on Netflix. On Netflix, I still haven't finished (among others) Mushi-Shi or Knights of Sidonia. Not that they were bad or boring, but Squirrel! Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood are among my favorites.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Haven’t watched in a while but my 2 favourites were..

Venus Wars

and 

Grave of the Fireflies

when I was young we only had like 10 channels but one channel would show japense anime once in a great while and I caught Grave of the Fireflies. It has stuck with me ever since. 
    gguenotAww_PHuuCk
  • Does anime include movies? Cause I've got a shit-ton to add.
    Does anime include movies? Cause I've got a shit-ton to add.
    if not then disregard my Ninja Scroll ref..
  • Yeah I'm currently working my way through Clannad and When They Cry. When they cray is crazy, psycho characters like in Future Diary. Agree on FMA:B and Your Name, they are probably my favorite recent animes
    Aww_PHuuCk
  • My favorite Ghibli films are Princess Mononoke (the G.O.A.T) and Pom Poko, but 90% of Ghibli films are amazing.

Other animated films I like are Paprika (2006), Akira (1988), and The Girl Who Leapt Through Time (2006).
    gguenotAww_PHuuCkDaveyMac
  • edited April 24
    @darwinfeeshy Can I just say how refreshing it is that you didn't put Spirited Away as the best Studio Ghibli film? Seriously, it's very rare for me to find anyone to discuss Miyazaki's films with and when I do, 99% of the time they remind me how great Spirited Away is. It is indeed a really good movie and I get why people love that film but yea man I think Mononoke got incredibly underrated after SA was released. Mononoke is not my favorite (that goes to My Neighbor Totoro) but I actually prefer it over Spirited Away.

@neilfgks If you enjoyed 5CM then I highly recommend Your Name. When you do let us know what you think. I'm actually a fan of Makoto Shinkai's work, though I think alot of his movies have a nagging story issue and also he often doesn't stick the landing climactically because he loves ending his films abruptly with music montages. I really want to be careful that I don't overhype Your Name, but I found it to be his most complete film to date. 
    darwinfeeshy
    I am currently working my way through all the Ghibli movies chronologically and would recommend all of them, most people only remember the fantasy ones like Mononoke or Spirited Away but the everyday, slice of life style movies like Whisper of the Heart are really great movies as well. 
    Aww_PHuuCkDaveyMac
    As far as series go, in addition to some that have already been mentioned, I would add Psycho Pass, The Woman Named Fujiko Mine, and Michiko to Hatchin.