Who is the greatest Anti-Hero of all time?

FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
edited March 2015 in Other TV
So I love an anti-hero, clearly along with a large part of TV commissioning body, I like nothing better than a bad ass that doesn't mind, nay enjoys breaking the rules.

There's no shortage out there Rick Grimes, Jack Bauer, Don Draper, Al Swearengen, Omar Little, Vic Mackey, Frank Underwood practically every leading show has them.

The Wire or Breaking bad are the greatest shows of all time IMO, but I think the anti hero is something different, Tony Soprano is my favourite bad ass for a lot of reasons, but i'm more interested in which bad mother f*****'s style you liked most and why?

N.B I'm aware there is criticism out there about this topic, that it basically plays into middle aged white tv exec's unfulfilled fantasies at the expense  of other deserving topics. However I check alot of my real life morality at the door with most TV & Film in order to enjoy it, if I really knew Walter White in person i'd want him in prison, but I route for him in fiction none the less.

AntManBeeTaraC73

Comments

• Charles Bukowski
    hypergenesbFlashGordon
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited March 2015
    He wrote a good game, it was all Henry Chianski though, :)
    hypergenesb
  • or Hank Moody :)

Yeah, when it comes to anti-heroes in TV, I don't know how you don't pick Tony as the greatest.

What are some good anti-heroes from the pre-golden age era? I can't think of any right now. I can only come up with film characters.
    FlashGordon
  • For fictional TV characters I also vote Walt.
  • Vic Mackey for me his slide from going over the line for the greater good to the move to just all out criminality was incredible
    hypergenesbJudd BJovial_Falcon
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I think of Walt as more of a villain -- villain-protagonist, to be exact -- than an anti-hero, and Breaking Bad is his origin story.
    FlashGordon
  • Rather than trying to select a favorite I'm gonna dig deep into a 1998 episode of Millennium that I love, "Somehow, Satan Got Behind Me." Such a great Twilight Zone-esqe episode, I still think about it to this day occasionally when the mundane irritations of life crop up particularly more/worse so than usual.

Anyway the episode is about a group of four demons that get together in a diner (and look like normal old grouchy people to everyone) to revel in their evil nefarious doings to the general public:

FlashGordonTravistrippy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Definitely Tony Soprano.
    FlashGordon
    edited March 2015
    @ghm3 that's funny & depressing in about equal measure. 

@AntManBee Hanky Moody was cool he was like utopian anti-hero, no heavy stuff just good times. 

As for pre golden age there's twin peaks , dallas ,too much BBC stuff to list , but from 2000 onwards when the sopranos, west wing, wire, band of brothers & even 24 popped up, TV just upped it's games so  much, it's difficult to compare stuff before then IMO.

• pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I am deeply invested in Philip and Elizabeth Jennings on The Americans.  And will forever love Jack Bristow (SpyDaddy) on Alias.

Or maybe I just have a thing for spies.

• As for pre golden age there's twin peaks , dallas ,too much BBC stuff to list , but from 2000 onwards when the sopranos, west wing, wire, band of brothers & even 24 popped up, TV just upped it's games so  much, it's difficult to compare stuff before then IMO.

I meant pre-golden age anti-heroes. As far as I can recall, before the 2000s we had all heroes vs. villains. I haven't seen the original House of Cards, but was Francis Urquhart an anti-hero?
    edited March 2015
    @AntManBee

Yeh Francis Urquhart was kind of an anti hero, Spacey plays it with a lot more charm though, you're right it was traditional heroes vs villians,  so Urquhart felt more villainous. The closest you used to get was either a loveable rogue, or a likeable villain, which obviously isn't the same.

I've thought about it because it's a  dam good question man, I guess some of the following could be considered contenders for pre golden age anti-heroes from stuff i've actually seen, I think they'd fit into the villain or rogue category more easily, but still. 

Det. Beauregard Donald 'Beau' Felton - Homicide: Life on the Street

Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce - MASH

Sam Malone - Cheers

Sir Humphrey Appleby - Yes Minister

Doug Ross - ER,Spike - Buffy , Bart Simpson, Zack - Saved by the bell ?
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Vic Mackey all the way. Love pretty much all the shows mentioned, but Tony Soprano never had a police captain and a whole precinct on his ass damn-near uncovering his dirt at every move. That was a tip-toe that they pulled off alot and yet still kept me on the end of my seat. Bonus point for prior being known as either of these guys and becoming a bad-ass.

FlashGordonghm3
  • @FlashGordon ; Some very interesting names there. The only ones I could come up with were Twilight Zone characters, but they were just protagonists who happen to be shitty people with the purpose of dealing with their damning twist of fate.

@ksa1001 I never watched The Commish. I had no idea it had an anti-hero as the protagonist. Makes me want to check it out some time.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @AntManBee I was simply referning to his humble beginning before getting such an influential role. I honestly couldn't tell you much about either of those (besides the fact I have zero interest in seeing them)
  • @ksa1001 Oh I see! I never watched The Shield, so that went completely over my head. Duly noted.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

Not really my choice but an interesting name that keeps coming to mind is Jeff Winger (Community).

• AntManBee said:

@ksa1001 Oh I see! I never watched The Shield, so that went completely over my head. Duly noted.

Oh wow, this must be remedied asap.
    AntManBeeJovial_Falcon
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Definitely Tony Soprano.
    Andy Sipowicz from NYPD blue comes to mind, as does Dennis leary's character from rescue me.
  • ArctorArctor The Netherlands
    edited March 2015
    Benji Veniamin in Underbelly is pretty high on my list. The guy was probably a huge sociopathic piece of shit in real life but in the show he was pretty cool.