201 - Journey Into Night

Just getting this started in case people want to talk about the premiere

Directed by: Richard J. Lewis
Written by: Lisa Joy, Jonathan Nolan, Roberto Patino
russkellycdriveKingKobraladylarsenApril_May_June

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Rewatching the S1 finale before this, I forgot how good the sound design was. 
    Huh, well I figured they would change the intro and I was correct. 
    edited April 23
    Hey, here’s a fun tie in, that tech who cut open the host’s brain was our old friend Leo from A Way Out, the nose knows. 
    Melonusk
  • MichelleMichelle California
    You might be right - he looks and sounds just like him!
  • Excellent premiere. Carries over last year while setting up our season. I have a feeling Delos wants to offer immortality to guests. Use their DNA to create hosts that will extend their lives as long as payments are made. Of course a more sinister plot would be to replace humans with hosts in key positions which would make Delos the de facto power in the world.   
    russkellyladylarsen
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Typical HBO premier (not a bad thing). Not super exciting like the months of anticipation, but very good overall and setting up the rest of the season.

I don't know what's going on, and I'm perfectly happy with that fact.
    ElisaMurderbearUnderwood
    edited April 23
    Yeah that DNA collection scam is super shady. Those drones better fight someone before the end of this season or I’ll be pissed, I wanna see some creepy faceless robot action. 
    ElisaUnderwoodtpelzyMelonusksaraej319
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Yeah that DNA collection scam is super shady. Those drones better fight someone before the end of this season or I’ll be pissed, I wanna see some creepy faceless robot action. 
    I literally jumped when one came up behind Arnold. Easily the creepiest thing this show has ever made IMO. They are definitely going to be fighting people (there's a shot in one of the trailers).
    saraej319
    Those were some silent hill motherfuckers. I bet they don’t go down as easily as the normal hosts. 
    ladylarsen
  • So, as I mentioned in the livechat, thought the premier was dull overall. I think Jim had it right with his initial comments in the instant cast - this episode was obligatory, and a whole lot of setup. I suppose this makes sense, but I wasn't super engaged for the whole episode.

Not horrible by any stretch, but few awesome moments. Some of those were:

- The fragment of Ford living on (briefly) in his young host. Will we see any more fragments throughout the parks?
    - What of these other parks? Ford seemed to have a special affinity for Westworld, but there seems to be a half-dozen more at least (Shogun World and others)
    - I think this is the first episode where the only nudity was the behavior guy, who fittingly enough was forced to go full-frontal on command by Maeve, who immediately lost interest heh
    - Annihilation tree-lady's plot was really weird. Secret base with worker-drone hosts? What exactly were they doing there again? Taking guest DNA? Had to get Abernathy to the mainland? What?

Elisa
    By the way I doubled checked just in case and that is in fact Fares Fares aka Leo from AWO doing that scalping. The man just has such a distinctive nose they had to include it in the game.
    ElisaJovial_Falcon
  • edited April 23
    So, as I mentioned in the livechat, thought the premier was dull overall. I think Jim had it right with his initial comments in the instant cast - this episode was obligatory, and a whole lot of setup. I suppose this makes sense, but I wasn't super engaged for the whole episode.

Not horrible by any stretch, but few awesome moments. Some of those were:

- The fragment of Ford living on (briefly) in his young host. Will we see any more fragments throughout the parks?
    - What of these other parks? Ford seemed to have a special affinity for Westworld, but there seems to be a half-dozen more at least (Shogun World and others)
    - I think this is the first episode where the only nudity was the behavior guy, who fittingly enough was forced to go full-frontal on command by Maeve, who immediately lost interest heh
    - Annihilation tree-lady's plot was really weird. Secret base with worker-drone hosts? What exactly were they doing there again? Taking guest DNA? Had to get Abernathy to the mainland? What?

It seems some of what happened last year was forgotten (Abernathy). Abernathy is hosting the data she was trying to smuggle out last season. Charlotte Hale is/was recording all user interactions AND DNA. This would be an excellent database for creating replicas (cough cough). With users revealing their “true selves” it would create an entirely real database of replication. This goes back to last season and her conversation with Lee saying he was missing the “big picture”. 

As for Maeve she didn’t lose interest (imo) it was a power play that had been done to each and every host there. She was treating him as they had been treated knowing very well that he was humiliated and powerless. 

All he above is JMHO or what I remeber from season 1 with and admittedly bad memory. 
    Elisa
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    I am glad  I watched the season one finale right before I watched the new episode. I needed to get back into the Westworld mindset. It looks like taking the DNA etc is a plot borrowed from Futureworld movie. This was an amazing episode. I am so glad to be putting TWD behind me. This is how you write a TV show 

rkcrawf
  • Is the Delos "big picture" selling immortality or something more nefarious, like a take over the world scenario? If they could replicate a human, they could potentially kill that human and replace them with their host twin. That could include the President and other world leaders, CEOs of the world's largest companies, etc. If Delos replaced all of these people with hosts under their control, they would run the world. And seeing as the rich and powerful are the core demographic of park guests, this doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possibility. 
    cbspock
    edited April 23
    Time for some intro analysis, the changes as far as I can tell are: a Buffalo is being built which then goes on rampage (maybe representing the chaos), a mother and child embrace (probably representing Maeve), a falling black hat (William), blond hair (Delores), and the host descending into water at the end (clearly the end scene of this episode). Many more direct parallels than last season’s opener. 
    ladylarsenMichelleElisaMelonuskMancMatts
  • cbspockcbspock San Antonio, Texas
    So what time periods are we seeing so far... 
    The present - the Delos rescue mission to the island
    Aftermath of the party - I forget home many days or weeks was it before the rescue mission? 
  • cbspock said:
    So what time periods are we seeing so far... 
    The present - the Delos rescue mission to the island
    Aftermath of the party - I forget home many days or weeks was it before the rescue mission? 
    Two weeks was stated in the beginning. 
  • The violence at the saloon massacre was heavy. Definitely some cognitive dissonance when compared to the violence on the hosts. Last season seemed to build up on the side of the hosts and their rebellion, but seeing it in action was pretty horrific.
    Elisa
  • GBraltaGBralta San Diego, CA
    Ford wasn't just terraforming the park. He was taking down the walls between parks. We are going to have host wandering from park to park in no time flat.
    ladylarsenElisaMurderbearMelonusk
  • Can we discuss "single biggest loss of life at a Delos property"? The fact that it even has to be stated kind of blows my mind and begs a lot of questions. I don't think this is the answer but did Ford try this already in a different park and change the host code so they can kill guests?? Otherwise, how has there been any mass casualty at a park before this? Unless they are talking about a massive accident, it seems like there could have been some kind of uprising in a park before this. 
  • I've been so excited for this show to start up again!   :)
    I admit, this episode left me very confused - I figured they're showing us at least two timelines, but beyond that ... the episode ended, and I was like 'umm ... wtf is going on?'  But in a good way!  I'm super excited to see the rest of the season, and see where this story is going!
    majjam0770
  • I fully expected the ep to wallow in the aftermath of the party, but what really jarred me is The Doloresinator.  Her self actualization took the entirety of last season, and was a slow journey.  We jump into this first episode at break neck speed, and what she spouts makes it seem that she knows much more than we were privy to - she seemed slightly fast forwarded in her awareness.

I see from the trailers and the season preview at the end of the premiere that there's more backstory this season, but her behavior felt slightly out of place.  Instead of simply being aware of her own identity, she's aware of EVERYTHING, and I thought that was a pretty hefty leap for her character arc.  Just me?

Despite that, great premiere and great to finally have the show back.  I found it slightly humorous that Teddy and Hector are both in a position of following, but are juxtaposed in disposition - Teddy seems to be unsettled by Dolores but Hector is 200% down with whatever Maeve wants to do.  Was a neat parallel-not-parallel.  Are we headed for a Dolores/Maeve clash?

Elisamajjam0770
  • Can we discuss "single biggest loss of life at a Delos property"? The fact that it even has to be stated kind of blows my mind and begs a lot of questions. I don't think this is the answer but did Ford try this already in a different park and change the host code so they can kill guests?? Otherwise, how has there been any mass casualty at a park before this? Unless they are talking about a massive accident, it seems like there could have been some kind of uprising in a park before this. 
    I think anytime a mass loss of life happens this gets stated. Think about what happens in real life when we see mass casualties, if more happen it gets sated that it’s the “biggest”. Could be anything as far as accidents goes. A train derails and 40 people die, now they have more than 100 (guessing) this event now is the biggest. Also, it doesn’t necessarily mean a host Park, just any property period. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Are we supposed to know who the last guy in the water is? I didn’t recognize him and figured there was a reason they focused on him. 
    GBralta
  • casanova said:
    I fully expected the ep to wallow in the aftermath of the party, but what really jarred me is The Doloresinator.  Her self actualization took the entirety of last season, and was a slow journey.  We jump into this first episode at break neck speed, and what she spouts makes it seem that she knows much more than we were privy to - she seemed slightly fast forwarded in her awareness.

I see from the trailers and the season preview at the end of the premiere that there's more backstory this season, but her behavior felt slightly out of place.  Instead of simply being aware of her own identity, she's aware of EVERYTHING, and I thought that was a pretty hefty leap for her character arc.  Just me?

Despite that, great premiere and great to finally have the show back.  I found it slightly humorous that Teddy and Hector are both in a position of following, but are juxtaposed in disposition - Teddy seems to be unsettled by Dolores but Hector is 200% down with whatever Maeve wants to do.  Was a neat parallel-not-parallel.  Are we headed for a Dolores/Maeve clash?

The hosts process data much differently than humans. We also have about a two week “gap”. She has high cognitive function and the ability to remember everything that she’s experienced over the last 30 or so years, it may not take that long to process ;) 
    chrisk said:
    Are we supposed to know who the last guy in the water is? I didn’t recognize him and figured there was a reason they focused on him. 
    It was Teddy.
    ElisagguenotrusskellyMelonusk
  • chrisk said:
    Neither my husband I could tell who that was, but I went onto Reddit, and the general consensus there is that it was Teddy.  Which I think really sucks if it's true.
  • chrisk said:
    Neither my husband I could tell who that was, but I went onto Reddit, and the general consensus there is that it was Teddy.  Which I think really sucks if it's true.
    I just rewatched this scene and I still can't tell. Doesn't really look like Teddy to me.
    Murderbear
    It does lend more weight to the 'two timelines' assumption though.
    Elisa