Avengers: Infinity War non-spoiler thoughts from critics

All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
edited April 25 in Movies
Avengers: Infinity War non-spoiler thoughts from critics are coming out from critics that have watched the premiere. Very few negative comments so far. Seems like the biggest complaint is that it really is a "Part 1" of the 2 part infinity war series.

https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/avengers-infinity-war-buzz-its-thrilling-but-its-a-lot-of-movie/

Here are a few:

Holy Hell. Avengers: Infinity War is the real deal. Was left breathless sitting in the theater. Real consequences, stunning moments, awesome character interaction, and some BIG and often devastating surprises.
– Eric Eisenberg, CinemaBlend

After 10 years of investment in this series and these characters, boy does Avengers: Infinity War knock you on your ass.
– Perri Nemiroff, Collider

Wow. Just…WOW! I was NOT expecting THIS! What a ballsy movie! Blown away! See this NOW! Do not get spoiled! Can’t believe what I just saw!!!!”
– Jenna Busch, Legion of Leia

Avengers: Infinity War is next level bonkers. One of the single most emotional, intense, and visceral experiences of my life. Marvel or otherwise.
– Conner Schwerdtfeger, CinemaBlend

Avengers: Infinity War puts all the stakes on the table.  It could be the Empire Strikes Backof superhero films.– Clayton Davis, Awards Circuit
There are actual stakes this time around. Kevin Feige is not f—ing around with this one.– Nigel M. Smith, Guardian
Puts it all on the table and wipes it off. Stress-inducing, full of dread, darker than usual… Blockbuster noise? Yes, but with emotional stakes attached.– Rodrigo Perez, The Playlist
I liked it a lot, and there’s so much that works, but it definitely is ‘Part 1.’– Terri Schwartz, IGN
Thanos is terrifying and amazing.– Eric Eisenberg, CinemaBlend
Thanos just dethroned Killmonger as the champion of villains.– Kristian Harloff, Schmoes Know
Thanos is a good, sad villain.– Bilge Ebiri, Village Voice
By MCU standards, Thanos is a reasonably compelling antagonist. He’s not going to singlehandedly change views on Marvel’s villain problem, but for yet another alien with a destroy-ey McGuffin, he’s not bad.– Tasha Robinson, The Verge
Avengers Infinity War is a lot.– Gregory Ellwood, The Playlist

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    But how many post credits scenes does it have?
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Alkaid13 said:
    But how many post credits scenes does it have?
    Infinity? You never leave the theater.
    Freddy

Avengers Infinity War is a colossal high impact action movie with lots of great humor and a spectacularly unpredictable ending. Brolin is excellent. Avoid spoilers.

1:28 AM - 24 Apr 2018
    BREAKING NEWS: KEVIN SMITH LOVED A COMIC BOOK MOVIE

I am overwhelmed. The movie is epic beyond compare. LOVED it. My legs are still shaking. It’s a gigantic @Marvel masterpiece. So much to say but I’ll stay Silent Bob til Monday so as not to slip in spoilers. Suffice to say it’s gonna be a looooong year until @Avengers 4...

90% on Rotten Tomatoes. Around what I figured it would get.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but were Jim and A.Ron going to do a bald movie podcast for the movie?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but were Jim and A.Ron going to do a bald movie podcast for the movie?
    I assume they will this Thursday night. Monday night was the Hollywood premiere. I'm doubting they were able to make it.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    First rule of Marvel Cinematic Universe: Sell people more Marvel Cinematic Universe!
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited April 25
    When it comes to super hero movies, I treat percentage ratings like a shit sandwich. How much fecal matter do you have to swap for regular sandwich ingredients before you stop calling it a shit sandwich? 

Seriously though, 90% percent for a Marvel movie means realistically its a 55-65% in terms on cinema. Even in context of genre.
    edited April 25
    Freddy said:
    First rule of Marvel Cinematic Universe: Sell people more Marvel Cinematic Universe!
    For sure.

And, I mean, knowing that we were getting Avengers 3 and Avengers 4 in back to back years as the culmination and the end of the past decade of the MCU as we know it, aaand that they filmed much of Avengers 4 while simultaneously filming Infinity War should have been the first hint that this movie was going to lead into the next and final Avengers movie. 

Then again, there is a debate among some reviewers I've watched who say that Infinity War really is a complete story on it's own, but they can't really explain why without going into spoilers on the ending.
    edited April 25
    Freddy said:
    When it comes to super hero movies, I treat percentage ratings like a shit sandwich. How much fecal matter do you have to swap for regular sandwich ingredients before you stop calling it a shit sandwich? 

Seriously though, 90% percent for a Marvel movie means realistically its a 55-65% in terms on cinema. Even in context of genre.
    The biggest problem with really any movie score on RT is that it's based on a 0 or 100 score. If someone is just "Meh" about a movie, but thought that it was entertaining, that could be counted as a rotten score. Similarly,  if someone thought it was OK but had a lot of problems, then that could get a fresh score. There are plenty of reviews counted as rotten where I'm reading it and wondering exactly what part was used to count it in the "rotten" column. 

I remain not all that excited about what seems like a way too crowded movie with a subpar villain. 
    edited April 25
    Some have said that he's the best villain in the MCU so far, and that this is a movie about Thanos. Some have said that he is a good villain, but that it's not enough to completely wash away the problem that the MCU has had with villains. Haven't heard or read anything negative yet on Thanos yet. Seems that Brolin stole the show for many.

But you could be right. i'm trying not to go in with any big expectations of what I want to see.

I'm not as worried about how many characters there are as it seems a few critics are, because aside from the villain(s) in this movie, we have had 10 years and 18 movies to get to know these characters and their motivations hammered into our brains. I don't really need concentration on any specific heroes' storyline. I only need to know what they are doing and why they are doing it in context of the overall plot. That's it. In fact, I'd be fine with many of them mostly just running around doing things in the background and only seeing some of them during the big battle scenes. 
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    edited April 25
    I saw it last night and can only stress please don't look at spoilers if you are spoiler adverse.

For those wondering about post credits there is only 1 at the very end.

Enjoy the movie when you get a chance i thought it was great, its a long run time that flew by.
    letrbuck2006
    Who on this earth has said that purple Josh Brolin is a better villain than both Loki and Killmonger and were they literally high? I think I just have superhero fatigue at this point so I’m somewhat curmudgeonly, also I wasn’t really a fan of Avengers 2.