Avengers: Infinity War Spoilers and Theories

davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
edited April 26 in Movies
So I went to see the movie last night and thought overall it was great and very surprising. I wasn't expecting a number of things to happen that I will spoiler highlight just in case someone accidentally clicked on a header that read Spoilers

I went into the movie thinking it would be a Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Prt 1 type movie where we got half the story line ie Thanos only got 3 or 4 of the stones. I wasn't expecting Thanos to get all the stones so quickly, nor was I expecting the ending not including a victory for the Avengers. 
The non spoiler thread had a mention of Thanos not being a valid threat but the first scene dismisses that in my opinion 
This didn't feel like a 149 minute movie, I have been in some 90 minute movie that felt longer
Thor getting a weapon back is awesome but I'm not sure being able to summon the Bifrost was a bit much although much needed considering he needed to get back. 
I feel that this will all just be undone with the time stone but how far back do you go. Do you just undo half of the universe being vanquished or do you take it back to save Gamora, Loki and Heimdall?
If the Leftovers had 2% of the population disappear and thats what happens to society (i know a different universe) what would happen with 50%, Cap better be on the street dressed in all-white chain smoking in the next movie. 
Overall I thought this was the best of the Avengers movies and continues the heater the MCU have been on lately. 
So the post credits scene puts the SOS out to Captain Marvel, where the hell was she in the whole events before hand. That will take some serious retcon work to close that gap. Also whats to say she was part of the 50% that was vanquished

Comments

• Just got back from seeing it. Agreed on it being great. The only drawback is that it's half a film and it kind of felt like it, but I don't think there's really any other way they could have done this: too many characters and story threads to do the whole thing even in three hours. I was surprised by just how dark they were willing to go, the film sets the tone of "shit is fucked" right at the start by killing Heimdall and Loki, and basically maintains that all the way through. In fact, it's kind of astonishing that the standard MCU jokes and quips don't feel wildly out of place considering the circumstances. I'll have more to say about it later, I'm sure, but right now I'm still kind of processing everything since it was...a lot.

• NoectricNoectric North Carolina
    What a great film, this one truly felt like a comic book movie that followed a comic book.  Everyone got a balanced amount of screen time. Most of all it felt like a cohesive movie and didn't emphasize on a certain character except for Thanos of course.   
  • “Thanos will return.” Got an audible fuck you out of me. But seriously I loved how they portrayed Thanos, just so quite and introspective. It really made him that much more menacing. 

Thor and Wanda are definetly my co-MVPs, not only because how badass they were but they really killed it in the smaller moments. You could really tell that both their characters had been through the ringer for the last couple of years. 

Overall I really loved this movie, and I say that as someone who doesn’t really care for the previous two Avengers. But this really feels more like a Thanos featuring the Avengers movie. 
    stevenduran1240ken halerusskelly
  • Jim is such a bummer to listen to on these podcasts. 
    ken halenstinsonJeramiahrusskelly
  • Jim hasn’t seen the incredibles?! What the fuck
    letrbuck2006MurderbearDoubleA_Ronrusskelly
  • So they start out the spoiler portion by talking about 2 main movie threads (Spiderman and Black Panther) that die that clearly won't be killed off in the end of it.  Dr. Strange died as well did he not?  He's another one that just got introduced to the universe and had his own standalone movie and died.  I'm sure this is just oversight by the guys which is perfectly excusable given they just watched the movie and they recorded either very late at night or extremely early in the morning.  I just want to make sure I'm not making things up in my head.  
    “Thanos will return.” Got an audible fuck you out of me. But seriously I loved how they portrayed Thanos, just so quite and introspective. It really made him that much more menacing. 

Thor and Wanda are definetly my co-MVPs, not only because how badass they were but they really killed it in the smaller moments. You could really tell that both their characters had been through the ringer for the last couple of years. 

Overall I really loved this movie, and I say that as someone who doesn’t really care for the previous two Avengers. But this really feels more like a Thanos featuring the Avengers movie. 
    Agreed completely.  Thor and Wanda were clearly the 2 powerhouses of the Avengers squad in this movie.  
  • Spoiler

So I had to look up who they teased after the end credits. I'm not a huge comic book fanboy and have no idea who Captain Marvel even is. Does anybody have any theories as to what role she will play in Part 2? Is she going to be the key to fixing all this somehow in combination with the time stone? 
  • @letrbuck2006 Yeah, the biggest "yeah right, like you're actually gonna do that" part of the ending was the deaths of Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and most of the Guardians. If those characters had all lived I maybe, maybe could have bought that it wasn't going to be reversed in Avengers 4. In fact, it would have been much easier to buy if all the characters who lived died instead and vice versa, which raises some interesting possibilities for the next film.
    ghm3rkcrawfmajjam0770chrisk
  • jleav382 said:
    Spoiler

So I had to look up who they teased after the end credits. I'm not a huge comic book fanboy and have no idea who Captain Marvel even is. Does anybody have any theories as to what role she will play in Part 2? Is she going to be the key to fixing all this somehow in combination with the time stone? 
    We know that the Captain Marvel movie takes place in the 90's. So Nick Fury sent a message back in time.
    Hatorian
  • With the amount of characters they had to juggle, I thought it was a damn smart move to make Thanos the main character akin to that of a Godzilla film. By weaving the structure that way, it made it fine what little development we got with our heroes because the movie made it a point that it was Thanos vs. Everyone as opposed to Marvel vs Thanos. 

My only gripe was which characters they chose to kill off at the end.  On a self contained story level sure it works, but on a meta level it's dumb because the stakes are now lowered because we know that guys like Black Panther and Spider-Man will be back, which by default, whoever else was erased by the finger snap of doom will return and be ok in the end. If they were smart, the characters with sequels planned should've survived and perhaps the better move dramatically would've to kill off someone like Tony or Steve, then it would really made us unsure if everyone perished for good. 

MrXrkcrawfmajjam0770russkelly
  • It ended with gimpy Thanos on a farm! Adolescent version of me reading Infinity Gauntlet is super pumped about that. Does that mean he'll be kindof on the good guys side next movie?
    Murderbear
  • I'm completely with Jim about the superheroes being super overpowered yet never properly utilizing their powers for obvious plot reasons, it's super annoying. It's why I just can't like/understand the Dr. Strange character, he makes absolutely no sense for the reasons Jim mentioned on the podcast. When they introduce these characters they should have clearly set the boundaries of their powers with non-idiotic reasons, but that would make the writing more difficult so that'd never happen I guess. 

Further, so apparently all this time there's a separate stone for space, but Dr. Strange only has the Time stone? So then how is he supposed to be doing all of this teleportation with the portals? It makes absolutely no sense, he should have to have both the Space and Time stones to do that...

Anyway I went into this movie with as little information as possible, and felt super cheated at the non-ending ending. As mentioned in the podcast I knew for sure they would never kill off Black Panther or Spiderman, and thought for sure that both Steve Rogers and Tony Stark would die. That still seems likely, but in whatever sequel is to come.

Electrified Thor is definitely awesome, I wanted to see a lot more of that. And I loved the parts of him calling Rocket a rabbit a lot more than I should have. 
  • edited April 27
    Oh and can someone explain what the Soul stone is? All the rest have a self-evident ability, but I never understood what he was supposed to gain from the Soul stone, and I didn't notice any change at all in his power or abilities after he acquired it. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 27
    Hey @A_Ron_Hubbard the emblem at the end was Captain Marvel's ... Her solo movie is coming out before the next Avengers movie and is set in the 90's (hence the use of a pager), which helpfully avoids conflicts with half of the world dying. 

I think the only other Marvel movie coming out before Avengers 4 is Ant Man 2, so him being absent means they can also do some sort of self-contained story.

They got all this shit planned out, it is pretty impressive.
  • edited April 27
    @ghm3 the soul stone gives him the ability to control the living and dead to his will.  
    ghm3
  • @Aww_PHuuCk Ah okay thanks. That does still confuse me though; I don't recall ever seeing him do that, and if he has that power why not just, you know, make all of his enemies subservient to him and instantly end the conflict?
  • I also felt a bit odd about seeing Black Panther, Spiderman, Dr Strange, the Guardians disappear, but I suppose what they are doing is showing us an alternate ending to validate the sacrifice of the folks that will probably permanently die on the next one.   What better way to show why it was important for the folks that will make the ultimate sacrifice do so by showing us what would happen if they don't?

By the way, anyone notice at the very beginning of the New York fight, how Dr Strange used his magic against the flying doughnut and then winked at Tony Stark?   Does that have any significance?
  • Seeing Black Panther and Spiderman die is like watching a certain character die at the end of Season 5 GoT. All I can think is "Yeah, ok. We'll see if this sticks." 
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 28
    So who do you think will wield the Gauntlet in Avengers 4 to "set things right" (assuming that happens)? I highly doubt they're gonna bring in Adam Warlock this late in the game, so even though he had it in the comics, I'm counting him out.

Maybe Tony? Since Strange saw him as critical in the only timeline where they succeeded.

Other candidates: Cap America, Cap Marvel, Thor?
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited April 28
    Dr. Strange makes perfect sense. He tells them that out of millions of versions future, there was ONE version where they win. He then tells Tony that he HAD to give Thanos the stone.

People honestly don't think that this is all part of his plan as he saw things unfold in the one timeline where they win?

MrXrkcrawfmajjam0770
    My only question is how Tony is going to get off that planet. Maybe Captain Marvel will drop by and pick him up on her way back to Earth.
  • My only question is how Tony is going to get off that planet. Maybe Captain Marvel will drop by and pick him up on her way back to Earth.
    Didn't Nebula survive? And she has a ship (although not sure if it's usable after crash landing into Thanos).
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited April 28
    Dr. Strange makes perfect sense. He tells them that out of millions of versions future, there was ONE version where they win. He then tells Tony that he HAD to give Thanos the stone.

People honestly don't think that this is all part of his plan as he saw things unfold in the one timeline where they win?

Also Strange is the only character in the Infinity Gauntlet comics that was really involved in planning the counter to Thanos who is actually in the MCU. The others - Silver Surfer, Dr. Doom, Adam Warlock, Galactus and the other the Celestials - are either Fox properties (although soon to be owned by Disney - so maybe we'll see them soon!) or haven't been introduced, and I don't see them getting shoe-horned in for the next movie. So yes Strange is gonna be crucial moving forward ... Although at the moment he's been turned into a pile of ash.
    majjam0770
  • edited April 28

No that seemed obvious because like you said he literally tells us this. 

I went into this intentionally knowing as little about the movie as possible, but what I did hear more than once was that it was the culmination of those ten years of Marvel movies leading up to this final Avengers movie, an epic 2 1/2 hour finale that would finalize several character storylines.

Instead it was just another part one of ?? movie that, as far as I can tell, they hid from us. If it actually was known that this would just be the first part of a several-movie Avengers finale then fair enough, I just heard otherwise. These sort of movies usually have a "Part One" as a title suffix or something, so it seems like it was kept secret.

Anyway I'm trying to remember everyone that's left at the end of the movie, aren't they all older Marvel movie IP? As I recall the disappearances basically separated the newer Marvel movie IP from the old, with some secondary characters mixed in. I wouldn't be surprised if actually all of the remaining characters sacrifice themselves at the end, not just a few.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Well that was a fun movie, seems like cheap heat to make people feel sad for dead characters that will just magically return at the end of the next one but whatever. 
    Thanos was much better than I expected, like 3 or 4 in the line of Marvel villains, which I guess isn’t saying much because most of them are terrible but he was actually alright. 
    rkcrawfAww_PHuuCkphoenyx1023ken hale
  • ghm3 said:

No that seemed obvious because like you said he literally tells us this. 

I went into this intentionally knowing as little about the movie as possible, but what I did hear more than once was that it was the culmination of those ten years of Marvel movies leading up to this final Avengers movie, an epic 2 1/2 hour finale that would finalize several character storylines.

Instead it was just another part one of ?? movie that, as far as I can tell, they hid from us. If it actually was known that this would just be the first part of a several-movie Avengers finale then fair enough, I just heard otherwise. These sort of movies usually have a "Part One" as a title suffix or something, so it seems like it was kept secret.

Anyway I'm trying to remember everyone that's left at the end of the movie, aren't they all older Marvel movie IP? As I recall the disappearances basically separated the newer Marvel movie IP from the old, with some secondary characters mixed in. I wouldn't be surprised if actually all of the remaining characters sacrifice themselves at the end, not just a few.

It literally was titled "Infinity War Part 1" until they changed it for some reason a year or two ago. But even with the name change, it was pretty clear that with Avengers 4 coming out next May and filming them back to back, there would probably be a continued story arc across the two films. Plus all the actors who you'd expect to have their stories wrapped up (RDJ, Evans, Hemsworth) have contracts that go through the next film.
    Geomecghm3rkcrawf
    I think that the characters who didn’t turn to dust are actually the most likely to permanently bite it next time. Like obviously Spider-Man and Black Panther will come back but I could buy one or more of the OG Avengers bowing out in the next one. 
    rkcrawf
    They decided against calling this movie part 1 and calling Avengers 4 part 2, because they said that these movies are each complete stories in their own right.

That is true when you look at this as Thanos's movie. It's a movie about his journey. The Russo brothers said as much. And how do most movies end where Tony Stark, Captain America, or Thor is the main character? With them eventually winning the day (in some form or fashion) and riding off into the sunset.

Therefore a movie where Thanos is the main character is a complete story in itself when it ends with him achieving his goal and peacefully looking at the sunset before the credits roll.

Now, of course, from the "good guys" perspective, the story is far from over. But almost all marvel movies have major events that form the meat of the story and events of the next movie.
    Geomecghm3
  • LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    Slighhtly above average Marvel movie is slightly above average.  What a shocker.  
    These are rarely great and they are rarely bad.  
    This movie falls right in there.  
    None of the real AVENGERS die,  which shocked me,  I expected at least Steve to bite it.  

Thanos was better than he is in the comics but still just a lot of silly bullshit dialogue 
    JaimieT