The Handmaid's Tale 201 - "June"

MichelleMichelle California
It seems like we have a big enough audience that we might want a thread for each episode?  Maybe?  
What did you think after seeing this episode?

April_May_JuneElisa

Comments

• I love this show, but it's so hard to watch!

That scene in the hospital with the nurse questioning June was rough!
    russkellyMichelleElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I was on the edge of my seat from the first scene with the almost-hanging. There were such gripping moments throughout this entire episode though, but the one that really made me cringe was when she cut the tracking device from her ear at the end.  :astonished:   
    russkellyElisa
  • I am constantly amazed at that cinematography on this show. This episode especially, the color contrasts of the blood red uniforms with them in a circle in the rain, the layout of the gym/cafeteria, the lighting in many scenes...just gorgeous to watch.

Great episode, but I had some trouble getting past two things:
    1. I could not buy that it took so long for the Aunt to find out that June was pregnant. Since (Dexter's gf) saw June get taken away, has a vested interest in June's well-being, and is married to a high-ranking official, June would have been pulled out of there way before they got to the ball park. I never really bought they would pull a GoT and kill the main character while she was pregnant, so I thought the same scenes (which were really great) would have worked with June watching her friends on the scaffold. It might have been better, IMO, bc then I wouldn't be questioning whether they would really kill off the main character.
    2. I have trouble buying that June would leave the Waterford's and/or leave town, with her OG daughter still there. I'm still 50/50 on whether Mrs. Waterford is cruel enough to hurt the kid, but I can't see June just leaving her behind, especially since they featured the kid in this episodes flashbacks. Looking to see how that develops.

Solid opener though. Do we think June had to sit there and listen to every handmaid get burned? Or just the one?
    phoenyx1023Michelle
    I imagine she had to listen to every one of them, which would have taken so long given how many were in line.  :cry:

rkcrawf said:
    2. I have trouble buying that June would leave the Waterford's and/or leave town, with her OG daughter still there. I'm still 50/50 on whether Mrs. Waterford is cruel enough to hurt the kid, but I can't see June just leaving her behind, especially since they featured the kid in this episodes flashbacks. Looking to see how that develops.
    I didn't think about that, but I agree that it seems odd that she'd have left instead of staying and finding a way to get to her.  I'm betting though that she has a plan and I don't doubt that she's hell-bent to get her back.

I agree about the cinematography - the drone shot of them all standing in circles, right arms outstretched, with the rain falling, was just beautiful (sad, given their circumstances, but beautifully captured from above).   I would say that this series and The Young Pope are pretty much tied for my favorite shows in this aspect.
    russkellyElisa
  • edited April 26
    *Warning* I watched the episodes back to back and they ran together for me, I only discuss June's story line in the post below, but I forget if the episodes were completely siloed* 

I have to agree with you rkcrawf on your 1st point and the cinematography. The Gilead society has put numerous resources into the handmaid's and getting them pregnant. I find it hard to believe that Fred and Serena Waterford would not have relayed this information higher up the chain, unless you think that Fred would be angry that he was cuckolded, but we see in the OBGYN's office that he seems (at least publicly) excited about the baby.

The Boston Globe scene was incredibly powerful, especially the makeshift memorial June assembled at the end of the episode. My girlfriend and I were both crying at the end of it. I half expected to see Fake News spray painted on the firing squad wall and thought it would've been a powerful touchstone into today's political climate. It was a nice touch that the episode of Friends she watched discussed the female erogenous zones. 

On your 2nd point, I did not think the episode showed that June would leave her child. She seemed ready to take Nick's gun and truck to try to get her back before realizing it was a stupid idea. I am interested in seeing how her relationship with Nick and her husband come to a head at some point in the future.

A wonderful and powerful opener to the season.  
    MichelleElisa
  • I also hope that we get some coverage from A.Ron and Cecil again. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Just sticking my nose in to say the wife and I will probably be watching tonight and I'm definitely down for discussion threads.
    russkellyMichelleElisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    I like and watch the show but it is a tough watch. 
    Elisa
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I just finished S2E1 and that was so intense. When she "took her earring off" I was shouting STOP STOP at the screen. Also, Fenway as the backdrop for the first part of the episode really shook me. I'm a big baseball fan and Fenway is a cathedral. To see it all overgrown and used for such a purpose was really something. Tip o the cap to the persons that thought that up.
    Michelle
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Great episode. I just wanted to mention that the no Ship network crew who cover Vikings and Twin Peaks etc are covering the handmaid’s Tale again. Their podcast is called the All Flesh and they are book readers. 
    russkellyMichelle
    Elisa said:
    Great episode. I just wanted to mention that the no Ship network crew who cover Vikings and Twin Peaks etc are covering the handmaid’s Tale again. Their podcast is called the All Flesh and they are book readers. 
    Thanks for that!  ARon and Cecily are going to do a bi-weekly BaldMove TV podcast on it as well.  :)
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Oh awesome 
    Michelle
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 4
    Elisa said:
    Red All Over is really good too. Kelly who used to do "Up Yours, Downstairs" on Bald Move does it with another host. They're really funny, and book readers. Takes a little getting used to because they joke around and laugh A LOT. Which is honestly kind of nice with the subject matter. They drop a lot of references too, and I get them most of the time. 

I was mentioning Alexis Bledel in the Episode 2 thread and how good she is. They mentioned that she opens her mouth now, and that's totally the difference with her acting. I couldn't put my finger on it and it seems obvious now. I think Kelly and the other host both have acting/comedy experience.

Probably one of my favorite podcasts I've ever listened to. 

Looking forward to Cecily and ARon's. 
    Michelle
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I have listened to their peaky blinders podcast which is over the top but good fun.  They are comedy improv actors. 
    edited May 10
    chrisk said:
    Elisa said:
    Red All Over is really good too. Kelly who used to do "Up Yours, Downstairs" on Bald Move does it with another host. They're really funny, and book readers. Takes a little getting used to because they joke around and laugh A LOT. Which is honestly kind of nice with the subject matter. They drop a lot of references too, and I get them most of the time. 

I was mentioning Alexis Bledel in the Episode 2 thread and how good she is. They mentioned that she opens her mouth now, and that's totally the difference with her acting. I couldn't put my finger on it and it seems obvious now. I think Kelly and the other host both have acting/comedy experience.

Probably one of my favorite podcasts I've ever listened to. 

Looking forward to Cecily and ARon's. 
    I just started listening to Molly and Kelly's Red All Over coverage of the show, and they're hilarious.  I listened to their pod for episode 4 (this week's episode) and it was really, really good.  Plus, I find them so relatable, so it's really easy and entertaining to listen to their thoughts.  Looking forward to more!  I'm going to dive into their previous episodes too.  Thanks for the rec, @chrisk!