The Handmaid's Tale 202 - "Unwomen"

MichelleMichelle California
Just starting this for anyone who wants to talk about the second episode of this amazing series!
April_May_JuneElisarusskelly

Comments

• It really hit me hard when I saw that the where she was was the former Boston newspaper office.  I admit that I teared up a bit when June made the memorial.

And to see the colonies ... yikes!  I was totally shocked when Emily poisoned the woman who used to be a wife.  
    MichelleElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I have a feeling that Emily and Janine are going to team up somehow to try to escape.  I don't think we've seen the last of the women that Emily will kill.

That scene in the Boston Globe office was so harrowing.  I teared up also, but it was when she realized what the cement/stone wall had been used for and then saw the nooses.  :cry:   

Elisa
    Has anyone else seen episode 2 yet?  It’s so powerful.  Also, a shout out to John Carroll Lynch, who has played so many great roles but is maybe best known around here as Twisty the Clown in American Horror Story and as Eastman in The Walking Dead.
    Elisarusskelly
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    That was such an intense episode and so hard to watch. Working the colonies in that toxic waste dump is painful. All the women have some sort of radiation poisoning going on. Their  treatment, the hate and  misogyny is so graphic. Damn I need a drink. 
    phoenyx1023
    Not just radiation poisoning, but remember Emily telling the woman that the water was full of E. Coli?  It's just a disease-ridden wasteland that they're forced to work until they literally drop dead.  I really hope she and Janine are able to escape.
    Elisa
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Just finished it. That airport scene was brutal. Wow, I'm listening to the World Series call during the credits. That is Amazing. This show is top notch.
    MichelleElisa
  • russkelly said:
    Just finished it. That airport scene was brutal. Wow, I'm listening to the World Series call during the credits. That is Amazing. This show is top notch.
    Maybe I missed something during the episode (also, I am not an American), can someone explain please what the significance was of the World Series call during the credits? Thanks!
    edited April 29
    MFG said:
    russkelly said:
    Maybe I missed something during the episode (also, I am not an American), can someone explain please what the significance was of the World Series call during the credits? Thanks!
    Yeah, that was the sports announcer's call when the Boston Redsox won the World Seies AT Fenway Park in 2013. I'm not a Boston sports fan, but aside from when the Redsox won the World Series in 2004 (which happened in St. Louis) (or 2007 in denver(?) for that matter) it's got to be one of the greatest moments in Boston Sports history. And of course back drop that history with what the outfield of Fenway is used for in the present day of the show, it was a great contrast, IMO.
  • @russkelly Of course, that makes sense, thanks a lot.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    It's so hard for me to accept a male dominated society that intentionally gets rid of pro sports. I'm a Cardinals fan, and I'm just trying to imagine a situation where people in St. Louis willingly concede baseball. Same for Boston. Or basketball here in Indiana. 

On another note, I can't believe how good and authentic Alexis Bledel is on this show. I was a huge Gilmore Girls fan, and while I always liked her I never thought she quite kept up with Lauren Graham, and I wasn't super impressed with her on Mad Men. She's amazing in this though, and now I feel like she could be in anything. 
    rkcrawfElisarusskelly
  • I felt like the June stuff from this episode could have / should have been put into the last episode. While the setting changed, it felt like a rehash of her getting back together with Nick. It seemed unnecessarily drawn out.

I liked the Emily pieces of this episode a lot. Having her story as a stand alone would have been nice, bc to me, the June stuff didn't fit in thematically. 

Nothing against Ms. Moss, but what does a show do when a supporting character is killing it??
  • edited May 1
    I loved the first two episodes of this season. Dark, chilling and totally engrossing. Very emotional scenes ... the ball park, the handmaid tied to a pole, the slaughter house and the colony. LOVE IT.  This is now my favorite active show on TV! 
    Elisarusskelly
    I loved the first two episodes of this season. Dark, chilling and totally engrossing. Very emotional scenes ... the ball park, the handmaid tied to a pole, the slaughter house and the colony. LOVE IT.  This is now my favorite active show on TV! 
    Me too. Don't tell anyone else in the club, but the first two eps of HMT are way better than the first two of Westworld, in my humble opinion. They are really putting together something great.
    ElisaMFGTheRealDeFo