William/The Man in Black theory

edited April 30 in Westworld

Forgive me if this has already come up. I’m sure I could test this theory on friend in my circle who are also watching the show, but I wanted to create some kid of record just in case this wild idea actually turns out to be true. I hope I’m proven wrong, but it would be wild if this is what the game reveals.

William/The Man in Black is the Host protagonist of season two

Here’s why:

• Season one opening credit featured a pair of female hands playing the player piano. Season two’s hand are distinctly more masculine. In season one we followed Delores’s journey to self-discovery, in season two we follow William’s.
  • Similarly, in season one the game was for Delores, in season two the game is for William.
  • Arnold implanted the maze into Delores for self-discovery. When the game was finished and ready for play, Delores killed Arnold. Ford created the game for William, which his death set into motion.
  • In S2E2, William finds and repairs his hand with a kit similar to the one Maeve used on Hector in S2E1.

Perhaps he was host all along? Implanted by Ford to insinuate himself into the Delos family and “run” the asylum. Obviously, the evidence is thin. But this would be a major long-con reveal by Ford. I wonder if the end/beginning to which young Ford referred was the moment when young Willian agreed to give up his life to become some kind of android/human hybrid that would become The Man in Black. This could explain the distinct difference in appearance of old William to young William, some kind of left over vanity?

russkelly

Comments

• I’d be pretty annoyed if it turned out William/MIB was a host 
    MichelleMurderbear
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited April 30
    Unless the MIB's words have all been script and narrative, I don't think he's a host - I keep going back to his "I've been coming to this park for 30 years...", although it could be script.  I just don't think he is one.

If that's not solid reasoning I don't know what is.  lol
    (I'm on 2 1/2 hrs of sleep & too tired to dive deeper.  Yay insomnia!)   *sleepy noises*
    This is probably going to be me later:

Elisa
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    It's possible the Man in Black is now a host, but hasn't been one this whole time. There's a strong implication that Delos is using DNA and guest experiences to either control real people or to build hosts who can convincingly replace them. I wouldn't be surprised if the MiB was replaced with a host right around the time he was knocked unconscious and woke up with a noose around his neck tied to a horse.
  • I was thinking the same thing about the MIB host theory when I seen him repair his hand or wrist whatever it was. It almost seems too obvious like maybe they want us to believe that but it’s just a diversion?    Idk if I’m enjoying this whole confusing chess game it feels weird, hopefully it starts paying off soon. 
  • I was thinking the same thing about the MIB host theory when I seen him repair his hand or wrist whatever it was. It almost seems too obvious like maybe they want us to believe that but it’s just a diversion?    Idk if I’m enjoying this whole confusing chess game it feels weird, hopefully it starts paying off soon. 
    We saw Sylvester repaired last year, so that tool works for humans as well. 
    NervousRhino
  • They already did the "human discovers he's a host" thing last season with Bernard.
    Elisalengmo
  • KingKobra said:
    We saw Sylvester repaired last year, so that tool works for humans as well. 
    Good call. I forgot about that.

It does still seem like there was something weird going on with that wound though. I only watched it once but it seemed like the focus on it was kind of shifty.. like they didn’t put too much focus on it right after it happened but then at the bar they put a suspicious amount of focus on it like they were throwing some breadcrumbs at us and it will play an important part later. 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    There are ways around this in this world, but he has children or at least one. Unless there is a way for hosts to have children with the right parts.