304 - Reload

Directed By: Thor Freudenthal
Written By: Robin Veith

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 3
    I was busy earlier and forgot to check if this existed, but now it does so....all good. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Bobbi and Avasarala together is everything I wanted from Tyrion and Daeny and never got. I mean, the interactions would be different; they're different characters. But it warms my heart just the same... thank you, The Expanse.
  • MrXMrX CO
    Me during that last scene:

Uh oh he has blood on his hands, that's not good ...

*camera pans down*

ElisaJaimieTken haleMelonusk
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 3
    JaimieT said:
    Bobbi and Avasarala together is everything I wanted from Tyrion and Daeny and never got. I mean, the interactions would be different; they're different characters. But it warms my heart just the same... thank you, The Expanse.

Yes they were so good this episode! Also Avasarala with the Martian soldier was fantastic. "What kind of ship is this?" haha

And Avasarala strutting around in the razorback suit cracks me up.
    Elisa
    Errinwright is such a shit weasel, man I’ll be happy when he goes out. 
    The_Third_ManElisa
    MrX said:

*camera pans down*

I thought his hands were disintigrating. They'd mentioned injecting him with biomass... I thought he was also relocating biomass... It was somehow MORE body horror in my imagination, the idea of rearranging oneself.
    MrX
    Well Mao is once again a shit weasel. 
    Elisa
  • The female Martian from the ship...terrible. Whatever she was doing acting-wise, I wasn’t feeling it. Likewise, something felt off about Dr. Vulvadove’s performance, when she got hoodwinked (bamboozled, led astray, run amuck...). Elizabeth Mitchell is usually pretty good, but I find her out of place bc her character is so naive.

The actor who places Jules-Pierre Mao somehow has found a Hollywood niche as shitty dad / secret research project lead.

Something I picked up from the Churn is that the actor for Alex wears (or wore) a fake gut for his character. Maybe it’s more pronounced in person, but it sounded like he was a bit envious that everyone else from the core crew gets to show off their physique. Me, I’d use it as an excuse to have an extra slice of pizza. 

The scene with Avasarala breaking it down for the Martian soldier-kid was awesome. 

Elisa
    I get the impression that Alex might be working off that weight a bit soon. 
    ElisaSir Farsath
  • JaimieT said:
    MrX said:

*camera pans down*

I thought his hands were disintigrating. They'd mentioned injecting him with biomass... I thought he was also relocating biomass... It was somehow MORE body horror in my imagination, the idea of rearranging oneself.
    ha...me too. I thought he was shedding and turning into the proto-thing from S2. NOPE!
    JaimieT
  • if so with Alex, that will be a long set up. 

Also, I wonder who/how someone thought of that anatomy lesson scene. That is so Hannibal Lecter stuff dropped in. 
    The_Third_ManElisa
  • rkcrawf said:
    if so with Alex, that will be a long set up. 

Also, I wonder who/how someone thought of that anatomy lesson scene. That is so Hannibal Lecter stuff dropped in. 
    A particularly gruesome way to enhance the theme of the protomolecule continuing to learn by breaking things down into their core or elemental parts (e.g., the Arboghast). 
    rkcrawfElisamanhattnikMelonusk
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 4
    Alkaid13 said:

So we're shipping Bobbie and Alex now, right? I will call them Bolex.
    rkcrawfElisaFlukesDoctor_NickSir Farsath
    JaimieT said:
    MrX said:

*camera pans down*

ha...me too. I thought he was shedding and turning into the proto-thing from S2. NOPE!

Also when he said "distance and bandwith insignificant" I thought he was talking about the people in front of him, not Venus. Because like... both their distance from him and intelligence were non-threatening.

Goddammit, totally misunderstood the whole scene FAIL. 
    ken hale
    MrX said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    So we're shipping Bobbie and Alex now, right? I will call them Bolex.

Pronounced "bollocks."
    The_Third_ManMrXJimken hale
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Food. You put it in that big hole in your face.
    MrXElisarkcrawfThe_Third_Man
  • While I'm not ruling out the shipping, I took the "sailor" term more as a military colloquialism, like Marines vs Navy or something with Alex being a Martian pilot. Rather than I guess the saucier sailor on shore leave connotation.
    Elisarkcrawf
    While I'm not ruling out the shipping, I took the "sailor" term more as a military colloquialism, like Marines vs Navy or something with Alex being a Martian pilot. Rather than I guess the saucier sailor on shore leave connotation.
    I took it the same way. He called her Gunny and she called him Sailor. I thought it was camaraderie.
    Elisa
  • Yeah. I thought she was just teasing him. I wasn't getting that vibe. It was funny that way. If she starts asking Naomi what Alex is like, I could vomit.

(Thank you for explaining the "gunny" term. Her crew called her that, and it always confused me).
    Elisa
  • I believe that's short for Gunnery Sergeant.

I also kinda got the implication that she's saying he should work out so next time he doesn't get his ass kicked by a bunch of teenagers. Might be reading a bit too much between the lines there though.
    Elisarkcrawfmanhattnik
    edited May 3
    I believe that's short for Gunnery Sergeant.

I also kinda got the implication that she's saying he should work out so next time he doesn't get his ass kicked by a bunch of teenagers. Might be reading a bit too much between the lines there though.

I think you nailed it. I intuited that she was expressing camaraderie, as opposed to last week's episode, but doing it via a call to workout didn't make sense. Now it does.

She's teasing him about starting the whole hostage crisis.
    FlukesjohnnytruantrkcrawfMelonusk
  • JaimieT said:

That was my other nit with the episode. Before the crisis started, I was thinking, "Holden, why are you leaving 3 prisoners in the same room with Alex?" Amos would be fine, but not Alex. The fact that he was armed, made it an even riskier thing to do. If this were TWD, we'd be like why would Rick leave an armed Carl in a room with unrestrained Saviors?? But I give this show a bit more latitude because  of good execution. 
    ken hale
  • I mean, there was a lot of great dramatic stuff in this episode, but all I can think about is Amos casually walking into the attempted takeover of the Roci and deadpanning "Shit. Did I miss it?". Love this show.

@Alkaid13 You guys making the threads need to stop getting your writing credits off of imdb, they've basically all been wrong this season. I've been going off the ones on the "list of episodes" page on Wikipedia; those tend to be accurate, but sometimes don't come in until after the episode has aired.
    JaimieT
    edited May 3
    IMDB letting me down yet again. Next time I’ll just check the credits. 
  • Man, my jaw literally dropped at the end of the episode.  I thought Mao was right on the verge of going full hero and stop Strickland for good, but he reverted to the villain real fast.  Like, you see all that carnage, cut to him and he's SMILING? 
    Elisa
  • You can barely hear it, but after Bobbie says "Let's wage a war on that gut", the closed captions say: [Alex whispering] "Giggidy".

Elisa
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:

That was my other nit with the episode. Before the crisis started, I was thinking, "Holden, why are you leaving 3 prisoners in the same room with Alex?" Amos would be fine, but not Alex. The fact that he was armed, made it an even riskier thing to do. If this were TWD, we'd be like why would Rick leave an armed Carl in a room with unrestrained Saviors?? But I give this show a bit more latitude because  of good execution. 

Another way Bobby is awesome. She knew that those martians wouldn't be welcoming the Roci's martians with open arms or glad to see one of their own.
    Elisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Interesting Mao instantly knows the protomolecule kid is in touch with the others. There could just as easily have been imprinted behavior in the protomolecule that is interested in disassembling things in spiral patterns. Possibly like insect hive construction or something. 
    Elisa
    Interesting Mao instantly knows the protomolecule kid is in touch with the others. There could just as easily have been imprinted behavior in the protomolecule that is interested in disassembling things in spiral patterns. Possibly like insect hive construction or something. 

Yeah, they had him talking to himself as a shortcut. "Distance and bandwith insignificant"... I thought that was referring to the people in the room, but hey, Mao magically knew it was referring to Venus. Things I forgive in an otherwise stellar show.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Yo, @A_Ron_Hubbard, you being of German extraction and since Jules-Pierre, hon hon hon, Mao amuses you to no end, the name of the composer is pronounced Vagner, not Wagner. 
    JaimieTFlukesElisaMelonusk