Popped Your Cherry

Which show popped your TV watching cherry.  I figure if you listen to Bald Move then you most likely care more about TV than most so which show got you hooked in to watching series.

For me I really got in to Lost after watching the first season on DVD and then watched the rest as they aired.  I watched shows here and there but (and I know this sounds cliche on here but) I watched all of Breaking Bad's seasons on Netflix and I have been an avid TV watcher since.
TravisRaiyne

Comments

• If there's really one over all the others for me I guess it's The X-Files, and it still holds up great today save for the later seasons when they go full conspiracy/lore etc. I mostly loved the first 4-5 seasons or so. There were other shows I loved too though at around the same time, such as Seinfeld, Fraiser, The Fresh Prince of Bel Air, and The Simpsons.
    Travis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Twin Peaks. I'm old.
    steph_bAntManBeehypergenesbTravisRaiyneEmmelyne
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Star Trek the Next Generation. Although, also, if I go way back, Batman the animated series and Gargoyles taught me the value of compelling serialized television.
    TravisRaiyne
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I used to watch Dallas and Miami Vice. Got me hooked!
    Travis
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    I watched ST:TNG reruns nearly every weeknight for a while, so I guess that was my first.  Wasn't able to keep up with the newer Trek series that came after when they originally aired, so my next show (which I watched religiously, or recorded it if I didn't stay home) was Buffy.

Times of changed since the old VCR days.
    Travis
  • MichaelMichael Virginia
    Growing up, my favorite night of TV was Thursday night. Cosby Show and Cheers were the top shows with Night Court, Family Ties, Different World. Then Hill Street Blues came on at 10! And the original and best late night TV The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. 
    I went into the Navy in 92-96, so not much TV. Didn't really get back into it until The Sopranos. That was MUST SEE TV!
    Life continued, started a family, but didn't get too involved with any one show until The Big Bang Theory. My wife and I are a couple of nerds, so Thursday at 8 is our date night.
    I heard all the hype about Breaking Bad when the series ended, so I binged watched it on Netflix. Then Game of Thrones. (that's when I discovered Bald Move). Got all caught up with GOT and needed more! So I moved to TWD. Binged watched last fall. 
    If I had more time, I'd get into other shows, but stupid life gets in the way. 
    TaraC73Travis
  • The Sopranos, then Rome, Deadwood, Carnivale. I only watched HBO series until Breaking Bad brought me into the world of basic cable. 

I did watch Twin Peaks and Northern Exposure in the 90s but I didnt become a big tv fan until I had a kid and settled down in 2000. Oh and I had a standing Monday dinner party with a bunch of my girlfriends for Melrose Place and Ally McBeal. 
    Travis
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Lost. I was there live for the very first episode, and I was there live for the last one. I will give it this, it was a hell of an experience!

I was too young (and sheltered) to be able to watch all those early HBO shows, but I found them soon enough ;)
    TaraC73Travis
  • Lost was pretty much my first real serialized drama. My cousin got me into Buffy around the same time I lived on my own for the first time. I quickly learned how to binge watch, and my TV obsession grew from there.

Travis
  • Yeh i'm the same Lost, due to my age was the first big show I watched from the premier to finale 

But great shout on Gargoyles & TNG both were solid staples of my pre-golden age viewing
    Travis
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    As a child of the 80s I've had cable my whole life, but TV was usually just something on while you ate dinner. I've seen every show from Diff'rent Stokes to Friends (all the 80s and 90s) but I don't think TV hit it's current "golden age" until "The Sopranos". That's the first time I ever remember everyone at work talking about something the day following, and you were shit outta luck if you missed out (so don't miss out). That was the first show of quality that had me watching TV like I would a movie (no talking, etc).
    steph_bTravis
  • Sopranos changed everything.
    ksa1001AntManBeeTravisTaraC73
  • I remember being addicted to collecting DVD box sets.  Damn you Netflix for ruining the point of my collection.  I had all seasons of Lost, 24, and the first of Prison Break.  I wasn't a fan of cable series at that point and stuck with the basic cable shows.  Now I find myself refusing to watch anything on basic.
    CoryTravis
  • edited March 2015
    Started watched X-Files with my Dad when I was 7. The year that ended we started watching The Shield together. And now we watched Justified together.

Its been a fun 20+ years of watching amazing TV with Papa Shango... yes, I call my dad Papa Shango... for anyone who gets the reference lol
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    I've always watched TV, but there were 2 shows that really got me hooked on series' The Soprano's (as has been mentioned numerous times) and The Shield (this was the first show I ever binge watched, and I was HOOKED).

[Deleted User]Travisksa1001
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    Oh, and Game Of Thrones is the first show that I got into listening to PodCast about.
    steph_bTravis
  • I'm with @Dee. It was definitely Twin Peaks for me. 
    TravisAntManBeeEmmelyne
  • I've always enjoyed TV (particularly a lot of those great 80s comedies), but the first show that I got downright obsessive over was the X-Files. I watched those episodes over and over and over again. I was late to the show (probably started watching live round about season 6. but those early box sets of  VHS tapes where they would isolate about 1/3 of the season practically got worn out in my machine, and I would watch the 2 hours of X-Files reruns and 1 hour of Millennium on FX almost every night. It was borderline unhealthy.

Thank God there is so much good tv out there now so I can spread out my sort of obsessive viewing habits.

ghm3
  • I went through a couple different stages. I always had my darling shows for a long time like Twin Peaks and The Simpsons, but it was The Sopranos that really opened my eyes to how great TV could be.

Now at that point, I was still more of a film buff. What really made me into a TV junky was The Walking Dead. After that, I started watching a whole bunch of different series. Now with Netflix and HBOGO, I barely watch movies anymore.
    TravishypergenesbCorysteph_b
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2015
    Saturday morning cartoons. The ones that come to mind are X-Men, Gargoyles (crazy underrated by the way; Gargoyles could have easily been for adults with only a few minor tweaks), and Exosquad. There are plenty other cartoons I watched, but the aforementioned are what I would consider compelling and more story driven than "bad guy of the week" character driven. As far as live action me and my brother watched all the Star Treks, but the only one that really hooked me in was Deep Space Nine.

As an adult The Wire was the first show that I really got into, and it's been all downhill since. Ha ha.
    FlashGordontrippyTravisTaraC73
  • The Shield - couldn't wait for tuesday night
    ksa1001Jeramiah
  • Oh shit, the Saturday morning cartoons thing reminded me. My answer probably should have been Nick at Night. Those old reruns of old sitcoms like the Patty Duke Show, Mr. Ed, Green Acres, My Three Sons, Laugh In (I loved Laugh In), stuff like that. I had a tv with a slider box in my room as a kid and I would fall asleep every night to Nick at Night.

• Time Tunnel!

Friday night line up was Star Trek and then if I behaved my parents would let me watch Time Tunnel.  I would love to see a remake of that show...  not sure why its not popular with the cult classic fans.
  • If we count shows from when we were little, I'm going to have to say it was the original Battlestar.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 2015
    Well I mean the first TV show I ever remember watching would have been Tom and Jerry probably. But choosing one that made TV viewing a weekly event would be the Sunday night lineup on Fox with Simpsons, Married With Children and In Living Color. I know that is not one but oh well. :)

I also have very fond memories of growing up on the Wonder Years as well. 
  • I never watched a series all the way through until my late teens for various reasons (strict parents being one of those). It started with Twin Peaks which was followed by a long dry spell. Farscape was next and that really opened the floodgates. Been a T.V. whore ever since.
  • @Emmelyne Great avatar. She's my mother's sister's girl!
    Emmelyne
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    I probably popped my cherry watching Sopranos, but I don't think I really knew what I was doing. I think I became truly comfortable with my show series watching self when I binge watched the entire Stargate series. It was my dirty little secret.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited June 2015
    I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's. The first show I think that came along and made me think and enjoy like type of shows you get on HBO and others was Hill Street Blues.
This discussion has been closed.