SNL - Donald Glover

ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
anyone else catch? one of the more entertaining episodes from beginning to end in some time. Raz P. Berry!
JoshuaHeterElisa

Comments

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    ... it was really good. I cannot remember the last time I liked two episodes back to back this much.

I thought for sure John Boyega was going to show up during the Lando sketch, but it was still solid.
    MurderbearElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    his new music video is pretty epic. dude is firing on all cylinders right now. ATL, Solo, solid music, SNL 
    MurderbearMrXElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    For those who haven’t seen the video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

Seems most people find it powerful and shoe in for video of the year. Others calling it cheap.

im in the powerful category but also have made it very clear on my gun violence stance and my feelings on the lack of any real change to our poor socio-economic systems.

lots of subtle great things to catch in the video but there’s better analyse out there then me trying to explain so reccomend taking a look around. 
    MrXElisa
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    For whatever reason I actively watch SNL every week. Usually I record it so I can fast forward most of it.

This was one of the best episodes they've had in years. Nearly every sketch was top notch. Usually after weekend update it trails down hill fast, but I was cracking up until the end.
    ChinaskiElisaDoctor_Nick
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    that talkin dirty in bed sketch was pretty damn funny. that girls voice cracks me up.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I watched a few skits, they post them on YouTube. The cold open was nuts. I Wiki’d Glover very interesting career. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, Glover killed SNL, and the musical numbers.  I know the first one I'm going to be blasting on the river all summer long, and the second one is powerful.  On the way into the studio the Keep It! podcast broke down their thoughts that were pretty mixed/divided.  I respect their viewpoint, but disagreed with a lot of it. I think it's understood that the DongLover has a whiter than average audience given the genres he's playing in, and the stuff he's doing on Atlanta and in "This is America" definitely is a challenge to that audience.  He started as a deeply ironic blerd rapper, and Awaken! was a huge departure from that, but I'm digging it. I can't wait to hear the full album.  The guy just seems like he can do anything he puts his mind too.

Even after The Wire, I guess I was shocked/surprised about the sheer amount of fear and terror that inner cities just live with as a day to day baseline. You don't have to be a banger or dealer to feel or experience it. How that fear is passed down through generations as a survival mechanism, and how it changes how you view life, family, community, money, possessions. Between Kendricks, Damn, Coates' Between the World and Me, and this "Robbin' season" of Atlanta, I have a new found appreciation for how lucky you can be just to be born in one neighborhood vs another in the same damn city in the last year.
    MurderbearMrX
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 9
    I haven't watched yet, but I'm definitely going to. The topic makes me think of this conversation I had with my wife when she first saw the Solo trailer. She is convinced that Donald Glover can't exist. He's simply too talented. He must be a fake person (not in the social sense, but he can't be real) because it is simply impossible that the same dude could be as insanely accomplished as he is. I mean, fuck. That resume. It was a fun conversation because she didn't know about Childish Gambino until that same conversation and her mind was so blown between the trailer and my playing her a song, and hearing about how successful his rap career was in addition to what she already knew about him that she was more or less caught in a loop. "No, no one can be that talented. It's just not real."

Piggy-backing on her thoughts, I am now convinced that he is a set of identical triplets. One is the writer, one is the actor, and one is the rapper. Even with that in mind, each one of them would be pretty crazy talented on their own. My wife is right, Donald Glover can't exist. Maybe he is some crazy, next level AI.
    ChinaskiOliviaDMrX
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    edited May 9
    Travis said:
     "No, no one can be that talented. It's just not real."
    My husband said “fuck that guy. He’s too talented”. He needs to share of it with us non talented people ha ha. We’ve been big fans of his for awhile now. I’m excited for him to voice Simba in the live action The Lion King movie. 
    TravisA_Ron_Hubbard
  • I'm with your husband. Share the wealth, man. Maybe this should be reframed and we should all acknowledge that Glover is kind of a dick. Hoarding all that talent. He may just be holding up the cure for cancer, or at least the hover board. Fuck that guy, indeed!
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    wait till you watch this ep @Travis. his opening is on how 'he can do anything'. :D
    Travis
  • Chinaski said:
    wait till you watch this ep @Travis. his opening is on how 'he can do anything'. :D
    Ha! That's awesome. My wife mentioned it too when it popped up on Hulu. I'll pitch it for tomorrow night.
  • Travis said:
    She is convinced that Donald Glover can't exist. He's simply too talented. He must be a fake person (not in the social sense, but he can't be real) because it is simply impossible that the same dude could be as insanely accomplished as he is. I mean, fuck. That resume.
    On a complete tangent, did anyone ever watch that movie "Mystery Team?" It was on Netflix for a while.  Aubrey Plaza's in it, too.  It's funny, but it's also kind of like Pauly Shore humor.  But, anyway, yeah, it's absolutely incredible what Donald Glover has done in the last decade.
  • This is always a classic.