203 - Virtù e Fortuna

edited May 6 in Westworld
Directed by Richard J Lewis 
Written by Roberto Patino and Ron Fitzgerald

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Can we please be in India forever? This is a park I'd go to.
    MichelleGBraltahypergenesbnstinson
  • JamesJames southern California
    That was a pretty goddam good pre-credit sequence, for a show that rarely does them...
    johnnytruantcalebthrower
    James said:
    That was a pretty goddam good pre-credit sequence, for a show that rarely does them...

Best part in the whole episode. 
    russkelly
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    They are really cranking up the action this season and I'm loving it
  • edited May 7
    I’m calling it now. The girl that was attacked by the tiger is Emily, MIB’s daughter!!! 
    budesignsHanaHeat1tpelzyLannitikGBraltaNaugustinedarwinfeeshyJTKIIIElisaMelonuskand 3 others.
  • budesignsbudesigns Tega Cay, SC
    Armistice makes a helluva entrance!  :*
    KingKobraNaugustineElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    The link to the instant talk vid goes to instant chat but the vid that comes up is for tomorrow's live recording.  I thought it was just incorrectly titled so I was just sitting there waiting for the vid to start.  Finally figured out I had to hit the fast forward button to get to the instant talk vid.  Bummed I missed 10 minutes of it but it's all good.  :)
  • Michelle said:
    The link to the instant talk vid goes to instant chat but the vid that comes up is for tomorrow's live recording.  I thought it was just incorrectly titled so I was just sitting there waiting for the vid to start.  Finally figured out I had to hit the fast forward button to get to the instant talk vid.  Bummed I missed 10 minutes of it but it's all good.  :)
    Same. Seems to be two chats running.
    russkelly
  • LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    edited May 7
    I must say there were quite a few things that frustrated me with this episode. 

As prior service, and a guy who studied a good deal of military history; watching a military force with weapons from 1860 attempting to take on someone with our tech, let alone 2050+ military grade weapons is a bit ridiculous. I get it, they had a trick, but it was asinine in the first place. 
    Why in the world would they Delos be assaulting an entrenched position with small arms, Im sure they at minimum have M4 or better rifle weaponry that would give them much better engagement success at a further distance while the Confederates have very inaccurate much slower firing rifles in comparison. 
    I realize that we can argue that now days a freedom fighter in Afghanistan can fight off our troops, BUT that's the difference in a few decades of tech at the best, not literally 200 years! LOL 
    At times I think these have to be the SHITTIEST contractors in the world, and it seems ridiculous for a place raking in money 

I was KIND OF able to get past all that, but my GOD when they put the pin back into the grenade did I yell bullshit. 

I get it, I'm being a bit pedantic, but not just for the sake of being pedantic. 
    This is usually a very smart show, and for them to do this type of stuff, just feels action movie level 
    johnnytruantghm3JaimieTElisamajjam0770Melonuskken hale
  • In general, I thought this episode was fun in the way I enjoy 80's action sci-fi. But a lot of it seemed really dumb. It's probably hard to replicate the cerebral quality of the first season without Tony Hopkins pinch-hitting for you, but man this is starting to feel like a different show.
    Lannitikghm3Elisamajjam0770Melonusk
  • GBraltaGBralta San Diego, CA
    edited May 7
    Kristina said:
    I’m calling it now. The girl that was attacked by the tiger is Emily, MIB’s daughter!!! 
    She has to be, IMO. The way she was gaming the hosts and using tests like the rubber bullets to reveal who's human and not, is indicative. She makes it very clear that she is aware and thinks about who is human and host at all times. Same as the MIB. The cold open seems to occur right when the shit hits the fan with the hosts in Westworld. I bet that RajWorld, SamuraiWorld and the others all have their own Delores (Wyatt), Mav, Teddy and other 'woke hosts' leading a resistance 
    ElisaMurderbear
    GBralta said:
    Kristina said:
    She has to be, IMO. The way she was gaming the hosts and using tests like the rubber bullets to reveal who's human and not, is indicative. She makes it very clear that she is aware and thinks about who is human and host at all times. Same as the MIB. The cold open seems to occur right when the shit hits the fan with the hosts in Westworld. I bet that RajWorld, SamuraiWorld and the others all have their own Delores (Wyatt), Mav, Teddy and other 'woke hosts' leading a resistance 
    I REALLY hope you guys are incorrect... this becomes a bit to small of a world IMO if that's the case. 

JaimieT
  • I'm glad that they finally introduced some of the other parks even if only barely. It looks like late colonial India, 1930s-ish? Strong Temple of Doom vibes. 

There were many little things that annoyed me this episode though that added up by the end, even though they're all minor. I kinda wanna bitch about them but also don't cause it feels petty. 

I wonder if cold opens will start to be normal now.
    GBralta
  • I’ve grown pretty tired of the song Seven Nation Army but that was a pretty cool rendition of it 
    MichelleJTKIIIgguenot
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    RAJWORLD IS CONFIRMED!!!!!

watching opening credits now. What a start!
    Michelle
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I'm going to have to leave the Westworld social media groups I'm in. I'm not sure that my eyes could roll any further into the back of my head reading these people's theories. None of them make sense from a perspective of what we already know in this world, much less from a meta story-telling perspective.
    JaimieTbudesignsElisaken haleMajorMalfunction
  • Lannitik said:

As prior service, and a guy who studied a good deal of military history; watching a military force with weapons from 1860 attempting to take on someone with our tech, let alone 2050+ military grade weapons is a bit ridiculous. I get it, they had a trick, but it was asinine in the first place. 
    Why in the world would they Delos be assaulting an entrenched position with small arms, Im sure they at minimum have M4 or better rifle weaponry that would give them much better engagement success at a further distance while the Confederates have very inaccurate much slower firing rifles in comparison. 
    I realize that we can argue that now days a freedom fighter in Afghanistan can fight off our troops, BUT that's the difference in a few decades of tech at the best, not literally 200 years! LOL 
    At times I think these have to be the SHITTIEST contractors in the world, and it seems ridiculous for a place raking in money 

I was KIND OF able to get past all that, but my GOD when they put the pin back into the grenade did I yell bullshit. 

I get it, I'm being a bit pedantic, but not just for the sake of being pedantic. 
    This is usually a very smart show, and for them to do this type of stuff, just feels action movie level 
    Yeah I'm totally with you. I'm never sure how to judge my annoyances as legit vs. pedantic, but I figure most couldn't care less about most of the little problems I have. In season one I had a problem with them showing the MIB meticulously load a LeMat revolver during a dialog scene, and then immediately fire well more than the 9 + 1 rounds it's loaded with, and everyone said I was bitching about nothing. But like, they literally showed him slowly load the thing the scene before, they can't make sure he doesn't fire more rounds than possible in the next scene? Why is that pedantic?

But yeah, so far these "advanced" 2050+ weapons are just 70+ year old P90s. Those made enough sense underground in the corridors I guess, but to only have P90s? No rifles, nothing? It's really stupid. Like their idiotic advance on the fort, the "one of the best" guys sitting there in the buggy like an idiot not moving while being shot at until explicitly told to drive (which, by the way, why do they go from not even know she's human to instantly following her orders? No security force or paramilitary organization would ever work that way, it's not like she's Ford or someone they'd instantly recognize as someone running things). Even if this were a basic HRT/SWAT-like unit they'd at least have some snipers with rifles for overwatch and some M4s/futuristic upgrade. I'd have no issues with the lack of LMGs but a few would seem appropriate. But apparently a flamethrower makes sense. 

What was your problem with the grenade scene though? That scene made enough sense to me, far more than the assault on the fort.
    fidozLannitikGiovanniken hale
  • So the presumably human on human "gunplay" in Rajworld was entirely to show that "Yes, the host's are killing humans in the other parks now too", right?
    Lannitik
    ghm3 said:
    Lannitik said:

What was your problem with the grenade scene though? That scene made enough sense to me, far more than the assault on the fort.
    I suppose I watched to fast, however unpinning a grenade releasing the lever and attempting to repin it will only end with a grenade blowing in your face. 
    Perhaps the lever wasn't released 

1. Agreed with @Lannitik. I'd be annoyed at how "small world" the story is becoming if RajGirl has any connection to anyone we know.

2. I started phone surfing during the battle. There was nothing to care about and we know who will walk away.

3. I'm glad I'm not the only one bummed about the episode. Sometimes it feels like this board overlooks a lot of issues... I'm glad that's not happening here.
    Lannitikghm3fidozmajjam0770MajorMalfunction
  • Would it be that “small world” if the daughter of one of the owners visits Westworld regularly just like her father? I’m not on board with the theory yet, but it doesn’t seem like that big of a stretch to think she would be there. 
    Michelleghm3rkcrawf
  • Lannitik said:
    ghm3 said:
    Lannitik said:

I suppose I watched to fast, however unpinning a grenade releasing the lever and attempting to repin it will only end with a grenade blowing in your face. 

Yeah the spoon never moved, you can see it still in place by his chin, which was the whole point, it was a clever way to keep him from moving or yelling for help. As long as the spoon never moves then the fuse is never lit so the pin could go back in and "disarm" it (the pin is really just a safety, it doesn't actively do anything).
    Lannitik
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Lannitik said: 
    ghm3 said: 

The lever was never released. She made him keep the levee down by keeping it pressed between his chin and chest. Then when she grabbed it, she kept the lever down and put the pin in it.
  • ghm3 said:
    Lannitik said:

Yeah I'm totally with you. I'm never sure how to judge my annoyances as legit vs. pedantic, but I figure most couldn't care less about most of the little problems I have. In season one I had a problem with them showing the MIB meticulously load a LeMat revolver during a dialog scene, and then immediately fire well more than the 9 + 1 rounds it's loaded with, and everyone said I was bitching about nothing. But like, they literally showed him slowly load the thing the scene before, they can't make sure he doesn't fire more rounds than possible in the next scene? Why is that pedantic?

But yeah, so far these "advanced" 2050+ weapons are just 70+ year old P90s. Those made enough sense underground in the corridors I guess, but to only have P90s? No rifles, nothing? It's really stupid. Like their idiotic advance on the fort, the "one of the best" guys sitting there in the buggy like an idiot not moving while being shot at until explicitly told to drive (which, by the way, why do they go from not even know she's human to instantly following her orders? No security force or paramilitary organization would ever work that way, it's not like she's Ford or someone they'd instantly recognize as someone running things). Even if this were a basic HRT/SWAT-like unit they'd at least have some snipers with rifles for overwatch and some M4s/futuristic upgrade. I'd have no issues with the lack of LMGs but a few would seem appropriate. But apparently a flamethrower makes sense. 

The guy did say “it is Charlotte Hale” or “confirmed Charlotte Hale” or something like that. I thought it was clear they recognized her as someone in charge.
    Lannitik
  • MichelleMichelle California
    JaimieT said:
    Sometimes it feels like this board overlooks a lot of issues... I'm glad that's not happening here.
    Some of us might not pick up on things that others do.  It doesn't mean we're overlooking anything, just that we didn't notice or pick up on it until it was brought to attention.
  • JaimieT said:
    2. I started phone surfing during the battle. There was nothing to care about and we know who will walk away.
    Really starting to feel the low stakes of robots that are either not conscious and/or can be brought back. It's kind of a mockery of forlorn hope although maybe that's supposed to refer to the dumbass Delos goons assaulting a fort in open field with the p90s.
    JaimieTmajjam0770
  • budesignsbudesigns Tega Cay, SC
    Lannitik said:

I don't think the level was ever released. Armistice grabbed it very carefully from under Sylvester's chin.
  • @Nancylyn Yeah I saw that but I guess it just depends exactly what they are; if they're in-house security or a PMC hired by Delos then I suppose they could have orders to reasonably obey onsite executives or whatever. I'm having trouble remembering the first episode though, wasn't Delos refusing to send help until they had Abernathy securely offsite? So are these morons in dune buggies a quick reaction force staged just offsite or something? I don't remember the deal with that.
    edited May 7
    gguenot said:
    Would it be that “small world” if the daughter of one of the owners visits Westworld regularly just like her father? I’m not on board with the theory yet, but it doesn’t seem like that big of a stretch to think she would be there. 

Yes, by definition. It's not about what is possible, it's what the story prioritizes as important for us to see.
  • JaimieT said:
    1. Agreed with @Lannitik. I'd be annoyed at how "small world" the story is becoming if RajGirl has any connection to anyone we know.

3. I'm glad I'm not the only one bummed about the episode. Sometimes it feels like this board overlooks a lot of issues... I'm glad that's not happening here.
    Yeah I always want to balance my complaints about stuff cause I know of a lot of it is nit-picky and I never want to bum anyone else out into liking something less, but I still wanna vent my complaints you know? 

Like, when Bernard tweaks what's-his-face's profile he lowers aggression to zero, but he then immediately opens fire on the other hosts. What the fuck? There were several others but I'd probably have to watch it again to remember most of them.