Comments

• LordByLordBy Utah
    I’m praying for Netflix. It’s a turnkey operation apparently as long as they get picked up before they need to start production of the next season at which point you risk bleeding cast/crew/writers.
    MFGElisaFlukesMelonusk
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Please oh please oh please. This last episode was amazing. I'd much rather see The Expanse get picked up than  any more seasons of Altered Carbon.
    JaimieTElisadarthcaedus1138Melonusk
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Gods damn it. Well I guess I once again no longer have a reason to watch syfy after this season. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Who do we write to at Netflix and Hulu? :D
    Elisa
  • I have more confidence in Amazon picking it up beings Amazon is currently the ones where you can stream previous seasons of The Expanse.  I'm assuming they had some kind of agreement giving them the access to stream it.  They would have the numbers on how many people have watched the show on their servers and how popular it is.  I have heard somewhere that it is one of their more popular shows that have been streamed from their servers.  Not 100% sure how accurate that is but I'm holding out hopes that someone, most likely Amazon, picks up The Expanse.  I'd be pretty upset it The Expanse becomes another Firefly.
    ElisaJaimieThypergenesbrkcrawf
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Fuuuuuuuck
    phoenyx1023
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 11
    I have more confidence in Amazon picking it up beings Amazon is currently the ones where you can stream previous seasons of The Expanse.  I'm assuming they had some kind of agreement giving them the access to stream it.  They would have the numbers on how many people have watched the show on their servers and how popular it is.  I have heard somewhere that it is one of their more popular shows that have been streamed from their servers.  Not 100% sure how accurate that is but I'm holding out hopes that someone, most likely Amazon, picks up The Expanse.  I'd be pretty upset it The Expanse becomes another Firefly.

Problem is Amazon has the U.S. rights and I believe Netflix has the international rights, so the negotiations could be complicated. But I could see Amazon fighting for this since for the most part they have been playing 3rd fiddle to Netflix and even Hulu now in terms of having flagship shows.
    Elisaletrbuck2006
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    Amazon may be spending $1billion to produce a show based on The Three Body Problem so their sci-fi budget may be tapped. If one of the premium networks like Showtime or Starz picked it up I’d also be happy. I assume HBO is out with all of the money they are already spending, but that would be sooooo good.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I mean Netflix is clearly fine with going almost bankrupt on new shows so they probably have the money. 
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    Another thing about this to annoy science fiction / fantasy fans  : SyFy is canceling the Expanse (which considering the licensing situation isn't surprising), but at the same time they're promoting their new show "Nightflyers" which is based on an old GRRM novella - GRRM seems involved to some degree so they're also actively contributing to the many distractions that he has from finishing ASoIaF!
    JaimieTalexander.klassen
  • So bummed to hear this, you can go to Netflix and request tv shows. Not sure what kind of impact that would have but did it anyway. Here's the link...
    https://help.netflix.com/en/titlerequest
    ElisaFlukes
  • JeffOatesJeffOates Philly
    A very high quality show.  I really hope it gets picked up.  It's all about ratings though.  
  • MrXMrX CO
    LordBy said:
    Amazon may be spending $1billion to produce a show based on The Three Body Problem so their sci-fi budget may be tapped. If one of the premium networks like Showtime or Starz picked it up I’d also be happy. I assume HBO is out with all of the money they are already spending, but that would be sooooo good.

Bezos has plenty of pennies to go around!

They also recently just spent a bunch of $$ co-producing Philip K Dick's Electric dreams after AMC dropped it. And remember Amazon doesn't necessarily have to shoulder the entire production budget if they did pick up The Expanse, since it's an Alcon production it would likely be some sort of licensing agreement (but perhaps with some production cost-sharing - who knows?).
  • This is why I’ve always avoided series on Syfy. There  are very few shows they’ve committed to long term. Better for The Expanse to find a new home that gives it the funding it needs. 
    Elisa
  • I’m very hopeful a streaming service like Netflix or amazon picks this up. The Expanse is honestly one is the best shows on TV right now and it would be a goddamn tragedy to see it just disappear.  As for SyFy - I had no reason to watch before the Expanse started airing and well, now I have no reason to continue watching.  Go ahead and make as many Sharknado clones as you want, I sure as hell won’t be watching them. 
    Elisa
  • I'll be shocked (and pissed) if this doesn't get picked up by Netflix or Amazon. 
    Doctor_NickElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Robb said:

"News of The Expanse cancellation broke overnight, and early speculation is that Amazon — where the series is said to do well — might be a logical place to dock the Canterbury."

I mean that's just a fucking cruel metaphor.
    ghm3Robb
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 11
    This sucks.

Netflix supposedly has decided to focus on Sci-fi for its original programming.Theyve also been more inclined to pick up old shows. Amazon hasn’t done that yet as far as I know, and I think they’ve actually said they prefer not to. I recall reading that somewhere, but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

I’m most worried about how the current rights situation muddies all this up. Amazon in the US. Netflix everywhere else. Seems like a potential mess. 
  • Fuuuuuuuck
    My thoughts exactly.
  • "Syfy’s decision not to continue The Expanse seems to come down to money. According to reports, the cabler’s deal only gives them first-run, linear rights. In this age of DVR-delayed viewing and streaming binges, that is less than ideal."
    https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-expanse-cancelled-by-syfy-season-four-to-be-shopped-elsewhere/

If the network doesn't own the show and just has first-run rights, Syfy's revenues are limited to advertising. Given the low numbers, I suspect they are having trouble making the numbers add up. 

There's no way this goes to anyone but Amazon or Netflix in the states. $20 says it goes to Netflix. They did this with Longmire, The Killing and other shows. Longmire is the closest proxy I can think of. It had a loyal audience, and Netflix kept it going for 3 seasons after it was cancelled. Plus, Netflix is digging deep into their pockets to build catalog in advance of Apple entering the game.
  • “...great vengeance and furious anger” on Syfy 
    ebuchholz
  • ebuchholzebuchholz Cleveland, OH
    Well.. I watch four shows, and three got canceled.

Maybe I have bad taste?
    Doctor_NickFlukes
  • edited May 13

James S. A. Corey on Twitter on the season finale.

Well, at least we'll have some sort of closer if the show isn't picked up by anyone.
    rkcrawf
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I hope it's not anything like Naomi's super optimistic monologue at the end of season 2, where Holden just forgets to be angry.
    The_Third_Manghm3
  • "Syfy’s decision not to continue The Expanse seems to come down to money. According to reports, the cabler’s deal only gives them first-run, linear rights. In this age of DVR-delayed viewing and streaming binges, that is less than ideal."
    https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/the-expanse-cancelled-by-syfy-season-four-to-be-shopped-elsewhere/

If the network doesn't own the show and just has first-run rights, Syfy's revenues are limited to advertising. Given the low numbers, I suspect they are having trouble making the numbers add up. 

There's no way this goes to anyone but Amazon or Netflix in the states. $20 says it goes to Netflix. They did this with Longmire, The Killing and other shows. Longmire is the closest proxy I can think of. It had a loyal audience, and Netflix kept it going for 3 seasons after it was cancelled. Plus, Netflix is digging deep into their pockets to build catalog in advance of Apple entering the game.
    The only problem is that in the US Amazon currently has the rights to The Expanse via streaming (NetFlix outside of US). It makes it much easier to take in a show that you already have the rights for and can “see” the traffic on it. It seems the company that owns/produces the show as some tight guidelines as far as ownership goes (it was an “odd” deal it seems for SyFy). I do hope it gets picked up on streaming (especially since I think this show done in 4K HDR could be amazing), but I’m less optimistic these days for sci-fi shows. 
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The more and more how they setup the deal with syfy, iTunes and amazon in the states. The less I feel confident it will get picked up.  :(
    Doctor_NickGiovanni
  • ken hale said:
    Fuuuuuuuck
    My thoughts exactly.

• We need another conduit.
    Cantomic66