Solo: A Star Wars Story reactions from premiere seem... really good

All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
edited May 11 in Movies
Maybe it's good that most people had low expectations going in. I've seen multiple critics and people in the business say that Alden Ehrenreich is impressive as Han Solo.

Here are a lot of the early reactions in the Variety article:

http://variety.com/2018/film/news/solo-a-star-wars-story-first-reactions-1202806823/

Angie J. Han
Alden Ehrenreich is the real deal, Thandie Newton is who I want to be when I grow up, and Phoebe Waller-Bridge’s L3... well we’ll talk about that later.

John Campea
Solo: pure wonderful adventure. Alden IS Han. Glover IS Lando. Great palet cleanser after heavier TLJ and Rogue One. A true summer adventure. Not best film of the year or anything, but prepare to have a really good time.
12:39 AM - 11 May 2018

Kevin Polowy
 #SoloAStarWarsStory is reaaaaalllly good. Fun as hell. It’s a straight intergalactic heist movie, kind of refreshing to see a Star Wars movie w/o a Death Star or the rebellion’s fate at stake. Alden Ehrenreich is super impressive as Han, but L3 might be my favorite new character.
11:52 PM - May 10, 2018 · Los Angeles, CA

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL

So, I was REALLY worried about #SoloAStarWarsStory but those concerns are totally laid to rest. A movie for fans AND those totally fresh to the Star Wars franchise. Heart, humor and a Falcon full of top notch action. From a worry to a favorite. Very, very happy!

• MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    The only problem is, I read and heard tons of people gushing all over Rogue One and I haven't been able to sit through a second viewing.

Except the last 8 or so minutes.
    JaimieT
    The only problem is, I read and heard tons of people gushing all over Rogue One and I haven't been able to sit through a second viewing.

I think that the small difference is that people/critics went into that movie wanting and expecting to enjoy it. The exact opposite expectation and even the desire to enjoy is flipped due to the production issues and some people simply not liking who they picked to play Han. 

Many of those people seemed to overwhelmingly admit that they thoroughly enjoyed it and were surprised despite those expectations and reservations.

But yes, I've seen movies get good early reactions and then have mixed reviews on opening weekend. It happens for sure. And of course, as the saying goes "No one hates Star Wars movie like Star Wars fans do"
    MattyWeaves
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 11
    I fucking love Alden Ehrenreich in Beautiful Creatures... he holds his own against Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson and Viola Davis. It's a stupid YA paranormal movie that has no right to be entertaining but is entertaining because... it just feels real, and as the protagonist he certainly plays a role in that. 

So, I'm glad for him.
    edited May 11

Yep, keeping my expectations very low. Regardless, I'm thrilled if Ehrenreich gets a career bump from this.

Also did you see this fan edit of Rogue One? You might like it; it just shows the ending stuff, and rearranges it so it's more cohesive. I LOVE their Hobbit fan edit, so I'll be watching this eventually.

Otherwise the only way I ever rewatched Rogue One was with this commentary track. Looking forward to rewatching TLJ the same way...
    MattyWeaves
    JaimieT said:
    I fucking love Alden Ehrenreich in Beautiful Creatures... he holds his own against Jeremy Irons, Emma Thompson and Viola Davis. It's a stupid YA paranormal movie that has no right to be entertaining but is entertaining because... it just feels real, and as the protagonist he certainly plays a role in that. 

So, I'm glad for him.

John Campea in his Youtube videos this morning is just raving about Alden's performance in this movie.

From the sounds of it, the Solo is just a stark contrast from the last two movies (Rogue One and TLJ) that had much darker, serious tones to them. So there could be a Thor: Ragnarok effect where people are just relieved to have a more fun adventure flick version of star wars, much like they were with Ragnarok in contrast to Thor: The Dark World that could not have taken itself more seriously or been much darker in tone.
    JaimieT
    JaimieT said:

So, I'm glad for him.

John Campea in his Youtube videos this morning is just raving about Alden's performance in this movie.

From the sounds of it, the Solo is just a stark contrast from the last two movies (Rogue One and TLJ) that had much darker, serious tones to them. So there could be a Thor: Ragnarok effect where people are just relieved to have a more fun adventure flick version of star wars, much like they were with Ragnarok in contrast to Thor: The Dark World that could not have taken itself more seriously or been much darker in tone.

Yep, another TFA. :)
    edited May 11
    Speaking of TFA, I wonder what the % of fans who hated TLJ but really enjoyed TFA are? In John Campea's live stream this morning, he was asked about how people who hated TLJ will react to the Solo movie. He noted that he had very few friends who didn't like TLJ, but he said that a producer friend of his who HATED TLJ and also saw the SOLO premiere last night was just glowing in praise about Solo in their discussion after the premiere. 

Of course, I'm guessing it just depends on exactly what each persons gripes were with TLJ. And, oh god, I don't want this to be a nerd fight about TLJ, so maybe I shouldn't have even brought that up.
    KingKobra
    edited May 11
    Speaking of TFA, I wonder what the % of fans who hated TLJ but really enjoyed TFA are? In John Campea's live stream this morning, he was asked about how people who hated TLJ will react to the Solo movie. He noted that he had very few friends who didn't like TLJ, but he said that a producer friend of his who HATED TLJ and also saw the SOLO premiere last night was just glowing in praise about Solo in their discussion after the premiere. 

Of course, I'm guessing it just depends on exactly what each persons gripes were with TLJ. And, oh god, I don't want this to be a nerd fight about TLJ, so maybe I shouldn't have even brought that up.

Yeah, I drove off to lunch thinking this isn't quite analogous to Thor: Ragnarok, since Marvel hadn't had a fun movie... ever? I guess it followed a dark movie, as you said. But my complaint about TLJ and RO was never that they weren't fun enough, just that they were bad. My favorite Star Wars movie is the dark one, ESB.

I think that bad light movies are probably more palatable than bad dark ones. Also I think the 2010s movie style lends itself to light movies. Like a 1980s?

(But I'm only knowledgeable enough in film history to formulate probably wrong impressions, not to make solid arguments, so grain of salt when I'm comparing decades.)
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Yes, there’s such interesting divisions one could mine in the Star Wars fandom now. Like, who are the people, like me, who think the Disney Star Wars rankings are:
    1. Rogue One (liked it)
    2. TFA (not particularly impressed)
    3. TLJ (quite disliked)
    Chinaskiken hale
    This is the part where @KingKobra tells you not to get me started.
    KingKobra
  • JaimieT said:
    This is the part where @KingKobra tells you not to get me started.
    Was trying to stay out of it for once :p 
    JaimieT
  • 1. TLJ(amazing)
    2. TFA(fun but too safe)
    3. Rogue One(boring)
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    really wish it was 'Lando: A Star Wars Story' directed by not Ron Howard that was coming out in a few weeks instead.
    Elisa
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 11
    Still have low expectations but if it’s like a more fun, more coherent version of Rogue One then it could be good. Rogue One is kind of the only nuSW that I don’t care for much so I’m somewhat biased against these spin offs already. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    Chinaski said:
    really wish it was 'Lando: A Star Wars Story' directed by not Ron Howard that was coming out in a few weeks instead.

Directed by Hiro Murai please.
    ChinaskiDoctor_NickElisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    With a really uncomfortable hazing ritual in Jabba’s palace set to Lollipop. 

MrX said:
    Chinaski said:

Directed by Hiro Murai please.

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Chinaski said:
    ... recently listened to the Stranger Things podcast and Aron had a solid idea: give the Lando movie to the Duffer brothers. That seems like a near impossibility, but oh if could be so.
    I really wish it was 'Chewy: Uuuuuu Ahhhhrr Uhrr Ahhhrrrr Aaaarhg'

ChinaskiFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited May 14
    I really wish it was 'Chewy: Uuuuuu Ahhhhrr Uhrr Ahhhrrrr Aaaarhg'

All the Chickens wins the thread. His prize is two whole chickens and one of those dough eyed birds Chewy killed in The Last Jedi.
    All the Chickens
  • Remember all the rave reviews for The Last Jedi? 

I remember.
    JaimieT
  • Remember all the rave reviews for The Last Jedi? 

I remember.
    Please, not this again.....
    Chinaskidarwinfeeshy
    KingKobra said:
    Remember all the rave reviews for The Last Jedi? 

I remember.
    Please, not this again.....

Blah blah blaah blah blaaaaaaaaaah
    KingKobra
  • JaimieT said:
    Yeah, I drove off to lunch thinking this isn't quite analogous to Thor: Ragnarok, since Marvel hadn't had a fun movie... ever? 

Image result for annoyed peter quill
    KingKobrarkcrawf
  • edited May 15
    @gguenot careful, are you sure you want to start a rumble with Lady Death :D 
    ChinaskigguenotJaimieT
  • haha she knows I'm playin'.. i hope 
    JaimieTKingKobra
    I'm not going to argue GOTG was not a fun movie! I just forgot it was Marvel. What the hell is a ruble, besides Russian currency?
    gguenotKingKobra
  • JaimieT said:
    I'm not going to argue GOTG was not a fun movie! I just forgot it was Marvel. What the hell is a ruble, besides Russian currency?
    It doesn’t look like anything to me :p
    JaimieT
    edited May 15

I remember.
    Remember? It's still sitting at 91% fresh on RT, as rated by professional critics.

>:) 
    TaraC73Aww_PHuuCk
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH

I remember.
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    darwinfeeshymajjam0770JoshuaHeterpicorock80