204 - The Riddle of the Sphinx

Directed by Lisa Joy
Written by Gina Atwater and Jonathan Nolan 
A_Ron_Hubbard

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    SPOILERS in this link (I think, I only read the first few lines). It looks like EW has already posted their recap and review for tonight's episode and call it "the darkest and best episode yet"

I'm definitely pumped for tonight's episode now.

http://ew.com/recap/westworld-season-2-episode-4/amp/
    Well it looks like they deleted the article. Didn't take long to realize their mistake.
  • This is what happens when you let reviewers get the 1st 5 Episodes ;) time to stay off the internet for a bit. 
  • Awww yeah, Play with Fire.

cdrive
  • Shes been chained up in a cave for weeks and her hair is perfectly combed? Cmon
    Rlong2003darwinfeeshymajjam0770daniellemathiesonElisa
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 14
    Fuck me, it's the Artificial Intelligence tragic ending thing... It's the saddest.

Edit: Spoke too soon, it went to crazy town. 
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    My apologies if someone has already pointed this out (I'll just go ahead and redact this post), but...

One thing I haven’t heard discussed about the fort in episode 2-03 is its *possible* connection to the Donner Party. In the Sierra Mountains in 1846 (out West, of course), as they were trapped in the early winter snow, a small subset of the Donner Party decided to continue the journey on foot in the hopes of making it to the Sacramento Valley and putting together a rescue party. However, most of the group died of either starvation or succumbing to the elements, and the remaining survivors were reportedly the first to resort to cannibalism. The group had given themselves the name “The Forlorn Hope” (the same name as the fort).

This could easily be dismissed since "Forlorn Hope" has been used in a number of different context... but the fact that 1) the Donner Party was an important / interesting story about the settlement of the West and 2) it involves a desperate shot at survival, makes me think that this could be intentional. 

Thoughts?

Elisa
    edited May 14
    Another "best episode yet"!

This show is really good when there's no Wyatt.
    KingKobrafidozken halemajjam0770saraej319
  • edited May 14
    JaimieT said:
    Another "best episode yet"!

This show is really good when there's no Wyatt.
    I don’t know about that, but do agree on best episode yet. I guess early rumblings were at least a little bit correct, we are getting pay offs much more quickly (ie Willams daughter, Delos using human consciousness inside hosts). This episode had me wrapped inside its arms for the entire run. It also looks like they had Elsie loose weight, matching up to her getting megar rations. 
    JaimieT
  • BroRad33 said:
    Shes been chained up in a cave for weeks and her hair is perfectly combed? Cmon
    She’s also clean, so that means she’s been getting treated fairly “well”. 
  • Well, that was prettyyyyyy prettyyyyyy good. Satiated my appetite for all unanswered questions in a logical way. The recap alone at the beginning laid out a perfect red carpet of foreshadowing for this episode. 
    I cried when Elsie was alive. Her being alive felt so redemptive somehow, for Bernard too.
    majjam0770Flukes
  • This episode was great. I really wish I hadn't seen the Delos website promo with cut up Jim, cause I knew it was coming, but still an awesome scene.
    Rlong2003 said:
    Well, that was prettyyyyyy prettyyyyyy good. Satiated my appetite for all unanswered questions in a logical way. The recap alone at the beginning laid out a perfect red carpet of foreshadowing for this episode. 

Is it just me or are those recaps the worst kind of spoilers? I think I'm skipping them from now on. Without the recap, I don't think I would have known exactly what was happening in the opening scene and would have been surprised the second time, or when William dropped the transcript between them.
  • KingKobra said:
    BroRad33 said:
    Maybe she's fresh off the printing press...
  • ghm3 said:
    KingKobra said:
    BroRad33 said:
    Would a host need a bucket?
  • ghm3 said:
    KingKobra said:
    BroRad33 said:
    Well they're made to be as human-like as possible, and we know they can ingest food and drink, where do you think it goes? 

I mostly said this tongue-in-cheek but who knows, but I was pondering it the whole episode, especially when you find out she was immediately outside a lab that had the means, and Bernard kills everyone in it and immediately lies to her after agreeing to no more lies (for her own good?). Just things I was pondering as I was watching.
    Elisa
  • LannitikLannitik Milwaukee
    Really good episode... 

1. I can't believe my theory on the Ghost Nation was already confirmed this week. 
    2. MIB relaly got some love this episode. While he ultimately gave up on Delos it was pretty amazing the guy tried as many times as he did when he could of easily given up many years earlier. 

JaimieTElisa
  • ghm3 said:
    KingKobra said:
    BroRad33 said:
    If they were pretending to be a human then yes. Does Bernard need a bathroom? No, but yet he has one ;) 
    ghm3GusG
  • ghm3 said:

I mostly said this tongue-in-cheek 
    Yea, me too. But, personally, I hope she's not a host.
  • ghm3 said:

I mostly said this tongue-in-cheek 
    Yea, me too. But, personally, I hope she's not a host.
    Yeah so do I.
    johnnytruant
    I don't think Elsie has been "treated" like anything. She says that Bernard choked her out and stuck her in this cave with some rations (I assume a few days ago, just before Dolores killed Ford). We're meant to think that this is the first time anyone has checked in on her.

Bernard (rightly so) thinks that Zombie Clementine bringing him to her now was Ford's doing.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Yeah, this was the best episode yet.  Thank you for not dragging out the illicit lab/ Delos / Bernard connection over multiple episodes.
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    Opening scene gave me vibes of the Lost season 2 opener (which remains one of my favorite things to ever air on television).

MattyWeaves
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited May 14
    Lannitik said:
    Really good episode... 

1. I can't believe my theory on the Ghost Nation was already confirmed this week. 
    2. MIB relaly got some love this episode. While he ultimately gave up on Delos it was pretty amazing the guy tried as many times as he did when he could of easily given up many years earlier. 

I didn't get the impression that he was doing it for Delos. Even young William saw him as a human piece of garbage. I think he was just a convenient test subject to work through the technology and he never intended to actually let him out.

Also, did anyone else think it was a little extreme to incinerate the entire "habitat" after each round of testing? Couldn't they have just turned him off and disposed of the body without destroying the room?
    ghm3majjam0770Doctor_NickElisa
  • Hunkulese said:
    Lannitik said:
    Really good episode... 

I didn't get the impression that he was doing it for Delos. Even young William saw him as a human piece of garbage. I think he was just a convenient test subject to work through the technology and he never intended to actually let him out.

Also, did anyone else think it was a little extreme to incinerate the entire "habitat" after each round of testing? Couldn't they have just turned him off and disposed of the body without destroying the room?
    We don’t know much about what happens during the time we don’t see. Do they change surroundings? Is it real? id say that William wanted to start “fresh” and the setting needed to look a certain way. Burning everything down was not only symbolic, but ensured that the setting around Delos was set back to the way it should be. 
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    Wow - this was such a good episode!

It was good to see Elsie again - I'm glad she's ok  (for now at least).

I too was wondering about the incineration of each version of Delos that 'failed'.  But there's a part of me that thinks that's more humane than lobotomizing him and putting him in cold storage like Ford does when his robots 'fail' ...?  I don't really like either option, and have no idea what I would do.

Oh, and those big faceless robots creep. me. out.  !
  • So, if the Delos robot-clone wasn't a success, I guess that shoots down the theory that the company is ALREADY replacing people in the real world, but isn't that exactly what Ford did with Bernard?  So Ford was way ahead of William in that regard, I guess.  I wonder why Bernard was down there earlier, and killed those guys?  Did William build that facility without Ford's knowledge, but...oops, Ford knew about it anyway?  And who did Bernard make a copy of?  Did they have time to build that body or is he still carrying the brain-ball around?  Yeah, that was a really good straightforward episode.  Fairly predictable, everything that happened, but that's not always a bad thing.
    JaimieTghm3Doctor_Nick
  • edited May 14
    An interesting short tidbit. Emily and William (MIB) don’t have plans on leaving the park. Also, William seemed to be the trigger of breaking the baseline. The tech as he was leaving once said “I don’t understand, he’s been ok” ( or something like that). There was something about William that triggered Delos’s breakdown each time. Also interesting that William brought the line used by Angela round again (if you can’t tell does it really matter). Paused the scene (the second interview)that was build 31.....

@Jim they for sure aged William during the interviews. 
    JaimieT
  • edited May 14
    One question, Are we are supposed to know who the head of the Ghost Nation was/is? We know they repurpose hosts all of the time. It seems he also switched out of his role when talking to Stubbs. Probably just another red herring, but they seemed to place special emphasis on who he was. 

Man extra add: The music has been top notch. They have put specialized music not only in each world, but sometimes specialized for scenes (take a listen to the scene with Lawrence’s wife when she is forced to dance then walk out). 

Last Edit for tonight. The build Elsie and Bernard find is 149, the same build we see William have the “last” interview with and tells the tech to leave him around for a few days to observe. This might help us with timing some of the interviews since the last build was never destroyed.