Sinner season 2 starring Carrie Coon

edited May 14 in Other TV
Anybody else see that Carrie Coon is the new star in the second season of The Sinner?  I enjoyed the first season and now am really looking forward to the second season. Anyone else want to see a Bald Move coverage for the second season depending on what else they're covering at the time?

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/carrie-coon-the-sinner-1202797873/
ElisaReni

Comments

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 14
    Man. That first season is one of my favorite shows from last year but I don’t get how you justify a season two. But Carrie Coon though. 

I’d honestly have put Jessica Biel up against Carrie Coon for the awards. She was that good. 

Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I liked the first season but the ending really fell apart - it was kind of stupid. 

But whatever, I read a ton of trashy crime novels with stupid endings so I’m in for S2. 
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    chrisk said:
    Man. That first season is one of my favorite shows from last year but I don’t get how you justify a season two. But Carrie Coon though. 

I’d honestly have put Jessica Biel up against Carrie Coon for the awards. She was that good. 

It’s an anthology - S2 will be a different story. 
    Elisa
  • Dee said:
    I liked the first season but the ending really fell apart - it was kind of stupid. 

But whatever, I read a ton of trashy crime novels with stupid endings so I’m in for S2. 
    I agree, the ending really didn't hit home but everything leading up to that was top notch.  I really have to give a huge amount of credit to Jessica Biel for season 1 as she did amazing.  She's been decent in the things I've seen but never as a main character and she blew it out of the park in this role.  Really looking forward to what Carrie Coon can do in terms of acting.  
    DeeElisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Dee said:
    chrisk said:

It’s an anthology - S2 will be a different story. 
    I get that but the title and concept seemed kind of tied to the story and Biel’s character and family life. I guess you could also say Bill Pullman’s character is the sinner.

I thought it was really strong start to finish. Curious what issues people had with the ending. 
  • Oh wow, I'm definitely all in on this. The first season was excellent and Carrie Coon's work in The Leftovers has earnt her the right to a chance in any vehicle. Can't wait.
  • Nice! 
  • I really didn't like the detective in the first season (not the acting and not the character itself). So when I first heard rumors there may be a season 2 I was gonna pass, but goddamnit! Carrie Coon! Who's gonna say no to that?!
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Has anyone watched the first episode yet? It set up an intriguing story - no idea where it’s going, which I like. 

Bill Pullman in this, though. Ugh - he’s so twitchy and greasy. I wish they’d left him out and just let the female cop and her deputy be the mystery solvers. 
    hisdudeness915ReniElisa
  • Agreed, it's a really intriguing story. I rewatched the first ten minutes or so after the final reveal and some of the weird things made more sense, but also there's no way those people wanted to harm Julian. Looks like there were weird things going on with him at home with 'Shadow Julian' and the person in the robe, so perhaps they wanted to get him to safety? It's really too early to tell. I'm always wary when child actors play such a central role but this boy is really great so far.
    I even found Bill Pullman to be tolerable compared to last season, but then again we're only just beginning, ugh *eyeroll*
    ElisaDeeduncanpowers
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    The kid was great in Mr Robot, playing Trenton's brother that one episode.  I have some ideas what was going on, I  agree it seems like they were running away from something like a cult and trying to get Julian to safety.  But then Julian or his programming snapped.
    ReniDeehypergenesb
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited August 10
    Season 2 is good so far. The kid creeps me out, and I'm intrigued to see what kid of hypnosis Carrie Coons character is pulling to instantly flip people being into her thralls overnight. Most cults brainwash you over weeks, months, or years. Coon is luring them into a barn and seemingly casting a spell.

I think a grizzled, bearded Jeff Daniels may have been a better choice for the detective, but maybe that's because I loved him most recently in Godless. And USA may not have been able to afford him. 

*S1 SPOILER ALERT*

I really enjoyed season 1, but I was bothered by the idea that the younger sister was said to have died of her illness, yet she was dead and missing. I could MAYBE buy the crazy mom not searching desperately for her daughter who disappeared in the night (although that's a stretch given she had no idea she was dead), but the seemingly more normal father? I think he would have definitely called the police, at least after a few days. I didn't buy the explanation of why she didn't contact anyone or search for her.

Also, there was no official report made by anyone regarding her death when the parents said she died in her bed? I've never had someone living with me die, but surely there is more to it than people taking your word for it that a person is dead? Seems like that would allow people to murder someone living with them, bury the body, and just tell police that they died in their sleep with no questions asked or need for any officials to see the body.

And less believable is that the funeral home and cemetery didn't ask for the body? When they had the funeral, you could keep it a closed casket, but the funeral home or whoever is meant to prepare the body and put them in the casket would surely think it awful suspicious that the family didn't give them a body. And if they made some weird excuse about not giving them a body, surely that information would have gotten out. I don't know. I liked the idea of the twist, but I don't think that they set it up very well to make it more believable to me.
    Dee
  • Episode 2 is what really hooked me. Carrie Coon's performance is so strong, it elevates the show from just good to damn fine TV. 
    Elisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Carrie Coon is just... I don’t think I like her. Maybe it’s just because she always plays such prickly, abrasive characters, but I find her rather charmless, and if I’m truly honest (and about to get myself banished forever from the BM forums), a bit one note. 
  • Dee said:
    Carrie Coon is just... I don’t think I like her. Maybe it’s just because she always plays such prickly, abrasive characters, but I find her rather charmless, and if I’m truly honest (and about to get myself banished forever from the BM forums), a bit one note. 
    Things that will get you banned from Bald Move: 

1) being a racist, and 
    2) hating on friend of the pod Carrie Coon
    DeeElisahypergenesb