Sound Issues With Show (not the podcast, the TV Show). Does it Get Better?

Hi Everybody.
My wife and I have started watching the Expanse from the beginning and it's super intriguing but I have one big hang-up (and the show has already lost my wife largely, I think, due to the issue). I can't understand what the characters are saying half of the time. This isn't about them speaking in the other language and those sorts of things (though that doesn't help), but it's the way the sound is done. It's like it's poorly compressed or something. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it one of those "early stages of the show" things and it gets better with time? It's a bummer, because I'm interested in what is going on, but I don't really like watching TV with subtitles and I fear this may be a show that sort of requires it.

Anyhoo, just curious if anyone else had this issue and if it gets better. Thanks!

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Travis said:
    Hi Everybody.
    My wife and I have started watching the Expanse from the beginning and it's super intriguing but I have one big hang-up (and the show has already lost my wife largely, I think, due to the issue). I can't understand what the characters are saying half of the time. This isn't about them speaking in the other language and those sorts of things (though that doesn't help), but it's the way the sound is done. It's like it's poorly compressed or something. Did anyone else have this problem? Is it one of those "early stages of the show" things and it gets better with time? It's a bummer, because I'm interested in what is going on, but I don't really like watching TV with subtitles and I fear this may be a show that sort of requires it.

Anyhoo, just curious if anyone else had this issue and if it gets better. Thanks!

Turn on the subtitles for season 1. You'll pick out slang too. For me, it was often the problem of slang + mumbling. 

You won't need it after season 1 or toward the end.

I read plot recaps too... that helped for the episodes I didn't have subtitles.

Stick with it. It's just season 1.
    Travis
  • Thanks @JaimieT. That's what I was hoping. I really appreciate it! You're right. So much mumbling. I have a pretty decent threshold for that kind of thing, but it's brutal on this show.
    JaimieT
  • Yeah Miller was damn near incomprehensible at times because of his mumbling.  That and when he does it it's very quiet as well so that doesn't help at all.
    JaimieTTravis
  • Yeah, I had to watch with subtitles. The dialogue is quiet relative to the music and action sounds, and I got tired of my eardrums being blasted after I'd turn up the volume. The mumbling isn't as bad as True Detective season 2.
    Travis