306 - Immolation

Written By: Alan DiFiore
Directed By: Jeff Woolnough

Comments

• Another great episode...Just makes me angrier at SyFy.

One thing I didn't get. I thought someone said the hybrid missiles were launched at every ship except the Agatha King. Was that a mistake, or did I mishear?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I believe Nguyen did indeed launch some of the missles at the other ships in the battle as well as Mars because he was in burn it all to the ground mode. 
  • Right. But why did he really launch against the ship he was in? I thought he had control of the ship at that point. And I thought they said he didn't launch against the Agatha King? Maybe they got hit by accident...

Rewatch in store
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    He didn’t launch at the ship he was in personally, one of the pods got knocked off course into it during the crossfire. 
    rkcrawfFlukes
  • Two more questions:
    1. Was Coytar referring to Chrisjen's son in his closing monologue?
    2. What was the monster looking at when he stopped attacking Bobby? Venus? Or some other power source, since the battle suit was low on power?
    I liked that they killed Strickland, even though he might have been useful since he knows how the proto molecule works. Too dangerous. 

What was that thing coming out of Venus? A ship?

• Say what you will about his moral compass, Errinwright can lay down a sick burn.
    rkcrawfShumThe_Third_ManMelonusk
  • Excellent episode, I really do hope someone decides to pick this show up. 
  • ShumShum Utah
    I'm assuming this marks the end of book 2, which means this season will probably end in a cliff hanger.  I'm almost tempted to stop watching now, since this is probably the most satisfying conclusion we're likely to get.  But I'm definitely not strong enough to follow through with that...
  • RIP Firefly II
  • Shum said:
    I'm assuming this marks the end of book 2, which means this season will probably end in a cliff hanger.  I'm almost tempted to stop watching now, since this is probably the most satisfying conclusion we're likely to get.  But I'm definitely not strong enough to follow through with that...

Don't stop!...things are just getting started. There are amazing moments just around the doors and corners. And the show will find a new home.

But this was definitely the climax of this particular arc. Errinwright, Mao, Strickland, Nguyen...all disposed of and off the board. And with the protomolecule leaving Venus all of the focus is likely to shift with new characters introduced. I thought S2 really worked having the mid-season climax so I have the confidence they'll pull it off again. But it's defintely a risk.
  • Say what you will about his moral compass, Errinwright can lay down a sick burn.
    He was spot-on with his take down of the SG. Damn.
    Flukes
  • rkcrawf said:
    Two more questions:
    2. What was the monster looking at when he stopped attacking Bobby? Venus? Or some other power source, since the battle suit was low on power?
    I liked that they killed Strickland, even though he might have been useful since he knows how the proto molecule works. Too dangerous. 

1. Not exactly sure but that's a good guess. He seemed resigned to doing something selfless and beneficial with his final acts, whether that was an atonement or just a man resigned to his fate.
    2. I read it as the Katoa hybrid still having a little of Katoa in there and not necessarily wanting to just kill Bobbie. It was an extremely sad moment to me. But also and perhaps more so, that Katoa is wired-in to what the protomolecule was completing on Venus and maybe saw killing Bobbie as unecessary because the "work" was wrapping up.

Re. Strickland...remember that Cortizar was kidnapped by the Belt/Anderson Dawes in S2 and is still at large.
    Re. Venus/Protomolecule...you'll have your answer in the next episode or two.
  • rkcrawf said:
    Two more questions:

1. Not exactly sure but that's a good guess. He seemed resigned to doing something selfless and beneficial with his final acts, whether that was an atonement or just a man resigned to his fate.
    2. I read it as the Katoa hybrid still having a little of Katoa in there and not necessarily wanting to just kill Bobbie. It was an extremely sad moment to me. But also and perhaps more so, that Katoa is wired-in to what the protomolecule was completing on Venus and maybe saw killing Bobbie as unecessary because the "work" was wrapping up.

Re. Strickland...remember that Cortizar was kidnapped by the Belt/Anderson Dawes in S2 and is still at large.
    Re. Venus/Protomolecule...you'll have your answer in the next episode or two.
    I think @Jim explained this well on the cast. The destruction of some/all the hybrid torpedoes caught Katoa's attention, and awoke Venus, since they are a hive mind.
  • edited May 17
    rkcrawf said:
    I think @Jim explained this well on the cast. The destruction of some/all the hybrid torpedoes caught Katoa's attention, and awoke Venus, since they are a hive mind.
    That's for sure not wrong and definitely an interpretation, albeit a cold and emotionless one. There's no doubt he is plugged-in to the 'hive mind' and probably affected in some way by the destruction of some of the pods and the work on Venus. It's just hard for me to divorce myself from the fact this was a kid just mere hours before. A kid who is standing outside on Io, and a kid who is likely in awe and afraid. Note, he didn't attack or chase Bobbie until she shot him repeatedly. And really seemed to still be figuring things out. Without that emotional context, imo, the scene would fall flat. 
    rkcrawfJaimieT
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Did anyone else have a problem with Prax sending his daughter off with Amos, and Amos *immediately* abandoning her? I don't buy that she would allow herself to be left behind so easily. (for Amos to go kill Strickland) 

Also I was really pulling for Prax to be the one to kill Strickland. He was talking a big enough game. 
    alexander.klassen
  • rkcrawf said:
    What was the monster looking at when he stopped attacking Bobby? Venus? Or some other power source, since the battle suit was low on power?
    I assumed it was that billowing mushroom cloud thing in the background. What was that?
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 17
    rkcrawf said:
    What was the monster looking at when he stopped attacking Bobby? Venus? Or some other power source, since the battle suit was low on power?
    I assumed it was that billowing mushroom cloud thing in the background. What was that?

Io has a bunch of volcanoes, so assuming it was an ash plume.
    telephoneofmadness
  • Ajas said:
    Did anyone else have a problem with Prax sending his daughter off with Amos, and Amos *immediately* abandoning her? I don't buy that she would allow herself to be left behind so easily. (for Amos to go kill Strickland) 

Also I was really pulling for Prax to be the one to kill Strickland. He was talking a big enough game. 
    Maybe if they knew she had already seen a human disassembled to its core components they would have been ok with blasting him on the spot. But, really, I think it was just a way of visualizing some inner monologue stuff for Prax, that got a little clunky.
  • It was nice to see Errinwright get his comeuppance, although I feel like this isn't the end of him.

When Prax reached into Mei's bag, I really thought that he was going to pull out a blob of protomolecule, and then Mei would start glowing blue, etc.. Then I seemed to remember that there actually is a blob of protomolecule somewhere under the floor panels of the Roci.
    Flukes
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Best moment of the whole series, "I am that guy"?

This was a great episode, someone needs to pick this show up for next season....
  • Ajas said:

Im guessing the missing dialogue was “I am going to get your father, wait here”. She was with the other Children as well. I didn’t have an issue with it as it was very close proximity and he sent her father out almost immediately after he showed up. They set the scene up fine with Prax telling her that Amos was his best friend. It’s not like he was miles away, just around the corner and behind a door. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Best moment of the whole series, "I am that guy"?

This was a great episode, someone needs to pick this show up for next season....
    For sure. They way that whole scene was built up all season, whew.  This show can't fucking die. I can't wait to see how Bobby and Amos interact together. There has got to be a scene where they just destroy all comers in a bar on Tycho or where ever in our futures, and I can't not see it. It's unjust to contemplate.
    Doctor_NickThe_Third_ManJaimieTFlukes
  • edited May 18
    "...destroy all comers" or each other! Amos will have to put down the wrench first, though.

Wonder if Bobbie becomes a permanent member of the crew now with Naomi "leaving" and Avasarala likely headed to Earth or Luna or anywhere that is not space. Or maybe she replaces Cotyar as Chrisjen's personal security chief.
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Kind of liked the look Amos gave Bobbie when she mowed down the first set of guards. I read it as admiration bleeding into resentment.
    The_Third_Man
    edited May 18
    I like how they made the Secretary General not just some schlub, they showed he has serious political chops.  When Anna and Erinwright go in on him, it sounds like he's a totally weak fool, but then when Anna comes up to him after he has Erinwright taken away, he's all like "Legacy assured, scapegoat found, *fistpump*, at least I'm not stuck with this."
    JaimieT
  • hahaha...there's a reason Avasarala calls him "the Bobblehead"...that dude is weak. Selfserving, yes, but pathetic. No way he lasts.
  • I like how they made the Secretary General not just some schlub, they showed he has serious political chops.  When Anna and Erinwright go in on him, it sounds like he's a totally weak fool, but then when Anna comes up to him after he has Erinwright taken away, he's all like "Legacy assured, scapegoat found, *fistpump*, at least I'm not stuck with this."

I'm not sure about "serious political chops". It just seems like the classic bad manager strategy:

1. Randomly choose to do something a subordinate suggests.
    2. If the suggestion works, take all the credit.
    3. If the suggestion doesn't work, place all blame on the subordinate.

He seems to have no convictions or ideas of his own. I actually find Errinwright to be more a sympathetic character, because he does at least seem to have a political goal beyond "save my career".
    Erinwirght has the savior/messiah/realpolitik complex, but I think it was realistic that they made the Secretary General appear extremely ambitious and able to maneuver, because one doesn't accidentally become global leader.

• Erinwirght has the savior/messiah/realpolitik complex, but I think it was realistic that they made the Secretary General appear extremely ambitious and able to maneuver, because one doesn't accidentally become global leader. 
    Yes, I think it's now clear that the Secretary General is a callous opportunist when it comes to improving his public image. I think he's the sort of person who passively rises to power by appointing talented assistants, deflecting blame, and exploiting chance events, i.e. he is only ever reacting to circumstances. Whereas Errinwright is proactive and is poisoning people's scotch and carrying out a sophisticated protomolecule conspiracy to further his agenda, which seems to be Earth-nationalism. Or maybe Errinwright doesn't really care about Earth, and ultimately just wants power and a legacy, too. I'm not sure if he and Mao are heroes or villains at this point. This show has some complex characters.