Episode 608 - 'The Summit'

Director: Sylvain White
Writers: Joshua Brand, Joseph Weisberg

Comments

• chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    edited May 17
    What the hell is up with Stan’s wife? Something has to be up with her, right? Can’t help but think it’s going to be pretty big. Makes sense that she’d get placed with him once he got close to the Jenningses. I feel like she there to stop him once he gets close. 

Was glad Elizabeth finally started asking some questions as that was starting to bug me. 
  • Poor Stan.  I hope he is still standing at the end of this.  Certainly seems like Renee will have a part to play in the end of this mess.

Has there been dialog between Phillip and Elizabeth re Renee?  Did they think she may have been one of theirs?
    edited May 17
    tom_g said:
    Poor Stan.  I hope he is still standing at the end of this.  Certainly seems like Renee will have a part to play in the end of this mess.

Has there been dialog between Phillip and Elizabeth re Renee?  Did they think she may have been one of theirs?
    Everything with her has been very vague as far as I can recall. I think Philip might have expressed a little extra curiosity at one point, and I want to say he mentioned her to Elizabeth very early on. With a suspicious tone. Don't recall if they asked Claudia or Gabriel about her.

I'm really surprised they've held their cards so close on that. Seems unusual for this show. There's no way she's just his wife, but they haven't even dropped direct hints as far as I can remember. Just stuff you could easily interpret as more innocent.
  • Anyone else surprised Elizabeth is defying orders?
    rkcrawf
  • Stan is due for a serious "Hank of the toilet reading Leaves of Grass" moment in the next episode, when finds out that the Jennings are spies. Then he'll go over the edge into full meltdown when he discovers his wife is also a spy.  I'm convinced Renee is a spy, just not sure if she is working for Russia or some other country.

tom_g said:
    Anyone else surprised Elizabeth is defying orders?
    I've been surprised she didn't question their source earlier. I know she's a hardliner, but without having knowledge of what's going on (Claudia aside) I think you have to at least believe the party is operating in good faith and consider that Claudia might be on the wrong side. In other words, I think it's consistent for her to blindly follow orders, but not when they appear to be working against the party leader.

The scene with the painting was interesting. In the moment I took that as a rejection of sentimentality, or a rejection of softening. Which I suppose it may still have been. I feel like you don't see that kind of double reverse of a decision very often because it's hard to make dramatically interesting, but it worked for me. You could see the wheels turning.
    KingKobra
  • tom_g said:
    Anyone else surprised Elizabeth is defying orders?
    Yes.  Though I think they did a good job showing her thought process after her talk with Philip and heard the Nesterenko tape.   I am happy she let the intern go, but was thinking he was a big idiot as he was bringing the box back to her when he knew what was in it.   What was he thinking?  I guess I can sort of see it, but I would never have gotten in the car with her with the box.  However, it was E's one successful bit of espionage all season and was kind of a dumb Boris-and-Natasha-esque plan.  Hey guy I just slept with, please put this not-at-all suspicious box that is triple sealed with plastic tape in this secret state department meeting room and bring it back to me later?

OK, enough nitpicking. Though some things are coming a bit rushed at the end of its run is still a very good show and it doesn't feel like the characters are being untrue to themselves.  Claudia is such a snake - I hope we get an Elizabeth vs Claudia showdown again.  But that is not likely.  

Still hard to predict how this will end.  Will they go back to Russia before Stan finds enough evidence against them?  Is Henry starting to have deeper suspicions and that is why he is avoiding his dad?  Will Stavros turn them in after all?  Will E and P cut a deal with the USA to save Nesterenko?  And how will Paige and Henry and Oleg make out?  And what about Mischa?  If we don't see him again that will be the most extra story line in a TV series.  2 episodes left.
    Holy shit. Mischa. That whole thing was so weird.
  • chrisk said:
    What the hell is up with Stan’s wife? Something has to be up with her, right? Can’t help but think it’s going to be pretty big. Makes sense that she’d get placed with him once he got close to the Jenningses. I feel like she there to stop him once he gets close. 

Was glad Elizabeth finally started asking some questions as that was starting to bug me. 
    That was the thought early on, but I don’t think they’d drop that this late into the game (IMO). We are getting towards the end and adding something “new” like that would be outside of what this show has done in the past (speculation is all people have and nothing on the show really points to it). 

Excellent episode, this show is closing on a high note. 
    majjam0770NervousRhino
    KingKobra said:
    chrisk said:

That was the thought early on, but I don’t think they’d drop that this late into the game (IMO). We are getting towards the end and adding something “new” like that would be outside of what this show has done in the past (speculation is all people have and nothing on the show really points to it). 

I just don't see what narrative purpose a new wife for Stan serves. The relationship isn't very compelling and they haven't put much effort into making it compelling. I don't think her trying to land an FBI job is for nothing, and I think they're trying to drop some crumbs. Just not sure how it'll land when they pay it off. 
    NervousRhino
  • chrisk said:
    KingKobra said:
    chrisk said:

I just don't see what narrative purpose a new wife for Stan serves. The relationship isn't very compelling and they haven't put much effort into making it compelling. I don't think her trying to land an FBI job is for nothing, and I think they're trying to drop some crumbs. Just not sure how it'll land when they pay it off. 
    There are 2 Episodes left, personally I just don’t see them adding that wrinkle to the story. If this show were going on, perhaps they would. The wife could just be a wife. Sometimes it’s just face value ;) 
    NervousRhino
  • They’re definitely building Renee up for something but I agree with KingKobra, it just seems too late in the game for her to be a spy. 

I guess it it could happen, maybe if she blows her cover to save someone’s ass. Or maybe they’re building her up to die? I have no idea but if I had to bet I’d say she’s probably just a normal person who’s about to get sucked into a very bad situation.
    majjam0770
  • A few things:

1) In Season 5 Episode 7, Phillip directly asks Gabriel if Renee is working for the center or is an agent and Gabriel tells him no.  Now granted, Gabriel could have been lying but this late in the game, I don't see it.  I think TV/movies always give us a reason to not trust a character but I keep going back to how people were totally on board that Pastor Tim was a USSR Spy and that was not the case at all.  At this point, so late in the game, unless you want Renee to shoot/kill Stan in a final scene (ala the movie The Departed), I'd be totally shocked and annoyed if Renee was a spy afterall.  I think they might have had some intentions initially but with 2 episodes left and her just now getting an interview, I just don't see it.

2) Elizabeth was really out of character in this episode.  For her to let the intern go was just dumb.  Second, for her to be so blatant and just have a recording device on top of the stuff for the intern to find, I just find that odd.  I figured Elizabeth was far more crafty with concealing a recording device.  So that kind of bugged me.  However, saying that, I still loved that Elizabeth actually started to think for herself and even listen to Phillip a little bit with regards to how she's given an order and expected to blindly follow it and if anything happens, it's on her.  Finally, Elizabeth is starting to awaken to the corruption around her and realize that perhaps people just don't want to change because they will lose power/importance if change actually happens.  I'm definitely looking forward to what Elizabeth is going to do next.

3) I'm really loving the dialogue between Phillip and Elizabeth these past few episodes.  Just excellent scenes.

4) Stavros isn't ratting out Phillip and Elizabeth.  I doubt we see his character again.  But it showed that perhaps people are a little more perceptive to things.

5) I was really wondering what Stan was going to do with that picture.  Great callback to Season 1, although, can't say I remember the guy that Stan talked to.  I definitely remember Gregory.  Obviously, the smoking remark is another puzzle piece for Stan.

Overall, excellent episode.  Really looking forward to these next 2 episodes and how the show is going to end.

NervousRhinomajjam0770