Evil Genius- Netflix Documentary

SUPER INTERESTING new Netflix true crime doc on a pizza bomber in PA. 
NervousRhinoghm3

Comments

• MichelleMichelle California
    Like, he put bombs in pizzas?  Or he used pizzas as bombs?  :smirk:
  •  :D a pizza delivery guy delivered a pizza, had a bomb strapped to him, and was told to go on a scavenger hunt to find the keys to unlock the bomb from around his neck
  • MichelleMichelle California
    :astonished:

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Wasn’t this a movie with Lex Luthor and Danny McBride?
    Murderbear
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 17
    Hatorian said:
    Wasn’t this a movie with Lex Luthor and Danny McBride?
    That’s why this story seemed so familiar! I assume the movie was loosely based on it? If so it’s a big gross to make it a comedy. :-/ 
  • Oh I’m definitely in! Is this already released or a upcoming thing?
  • Already out!
    NervousRhino
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    It came out a week or two ago and looks fantastic.

gguenotNervousRhino
  • So...WOW! I’ve only watched one episode so far but that was fucking intense!  

I can’t believe I’ve never heard of this story before especially since I’ve always been really big into true crime. 

Anyone whos watched them all. Does it stay this engaging through all the episodes? 
  • Episode 2 keeps you just as engaged and the developments are just as weird. Just starting the 3rd episode
    NervousRhino
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 18
    We binged this past weekend. Excellent series. Not that many crazy twists, but it kept us engaged towards the end based on one person being accused of being involved and the investigation into that. I was mostly annoyed the whole time because I don't like people who clearly think that they are more intelligent than they really are, which I guess is most people, although most people don't openly brag about their intelligence.

The entire plan was so incredibly stupid.
    ghm3
  • Yeah this was an really interesting watch for those interested in true crime stuff. I very clearly remember back when this happened and how bizarre the whole thing was (not much else to say w/o "spoilers").

But yeah, @All the Chickens really hit the nail on the head with this whole case. Smarter-than-average sociopathic narcissists that are bitter and resentful over being failures in life exerting their misery upon others.

But the truly strange thing is just how utterly fucking stupid the plan was, and how mind-numbingly ignorant these "smart" people had to be to believe it could have produced their desired result. 

That said, I got angry more than once while watching the ATF idiot blather on. I cannot for the life of me fathom how that agency of imbeciles is allowed to still exist. I don't even remember the specific points anymore, but at least one of them was typical CYA BS. 

As a longer side rant, I'm pretty sure it was Jerry Clark, the lead FBI investigator, that said something very telling about why you should never talk to the police never mind take a polygraph in your defense, even if you're completely innocent. He was talking about how Rothstein or someone had taken a polygraph, and I was shocked at how utterly blasé he was revealing how he didn't care about the polygraph because the results weren't what he wanted them to be.

He unknowingly perfectly explained how law enforcement bias makes this a lose-lose proposition for a suspect. It meant nothing to him at all that he passed the poly. He literally says this almost verbatim. Yet he still wanted to administer it, so the only possible reason for this is because the test is only valid to him if it gives him the result he wants, and he completely ignores it if it doesn't.

Thank goodness these things aren't admissible in court, but they seem to do plenty of damage in investigations. Basically if you're a suspect and refuse a poly, they'll just continue to assume you're guilty but be in no better position against you. If you agree to take a poly, you're either:

-guilty and you fail and they're now fully convinced you're guilty
    -guilty and you pass and they just toss that aside since it's inconvenient for them and carry on assuming you're guilty unless an easier conviction comes along
    -innocent and you fail and they're now fully convinced you're guilty
    -innocent and you pass and they just toss that aside since it's inconvenient for them and carry on assuming you're guilty unless an easier conviction comes along
    NervousRhinoAll the Chickens
  • I’m on episode 3 and completely hooked! 
    NervousRhino
  • Finished it.   That some deep stuff, truly shocking and frustrating for the answers we’ll never get.

That was GREAT crime documentary. Thanks for suggesting it and starting the thread @gguenot
    Bellegguenot
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    closed my eyes and scrolled down to not spoil cause i plan to watch... but this thread title screamed one thing (big ups to a_ron for this reference that i will prob use alot in my future going forward).. #playdohsnakes
    Image result for evil rubbing hands together gif

Belle
  • Going to add this to my watch list. Thanks for the suggestion!
    NervousRhino
  • We need a spoiler thread for this. 
    BelleAll the Chickens
  • I’ve just finished this myself and have so many questions. A truly shocking crime but a wonderfully produced and engaging documentary series. 
    NervousRhino
  • I just finished this over the weekend and was extremely interested from the very beginning with this.  I'm not going to lie Marjorie Diehl-Armstrong scares the shit out of me.  She is the perfect mix of crazy and intelligent that makes for an amazing story.  The overall plan was incredibly stupid but the fact she didn't let things slip during interviews and questioning and constantly had some kind of side plot going on that didn't put her in the wrong was impressive. Overall this was an extremely entertaining show and I know this is probably just a one off show but it'd be extremely entertaining to have more seasons that cover different cases that are similar in nature.  Probably never going to happen but I would enjoy it.
    Belle
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I just listened to Stuff You Should Know over the weekend about the case.

Now I wish I hadn't.  Didn't know about the series and it would be good to go in without hearing the whole story.
  • aww lame, yea it was a real treat to go in blind.
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    If you ever wondered what it would be like if Elmore Leonard wrote a Batman story, here you go.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Somewhat related, Netflix just dropped the trailer for The Staircase, a true crime documentary series releasing on June 8. Looks good.

Belle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited May 23
    That is so confusing. The Staircase was released back in 2004. I saw it ages ago (and it IS fantastic, by the way.) But it is slightly disingenuous for Netflix to call it a "Netflix Original"

Edit: Ohhhh okay, so it looks like Netflix paid for three extra episodes to follow up on the case and what has happened since. Still doesn't sit right with me, but that at least makes a tad bit more sense.