610 - "Trust"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Director: Adam Arkin
Writer: Benjamin Cavell

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    WOW..they aren't playing I see. Did NOT see that one coming. Being shot with your own gun is a pretty low low for any criminal.
    Travis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Ava did what she does best, shoot Crowder boys.  Boyd probably misses the good old days when he could be sassy about it:

Original_JosephTravis
    Also, I was surprised to see Andrew J. West.  Boon is too much of a creep for the writers to let him bring down Raylan.  If he were just a brash upstart who happened to get the drop on the older gunslinger, e.g., Deadwood, that would be one thing, but he's too sexually creepy to live.  I think Jonathan Tucker is doing a fine job, though.  He was also memorable in Hannibal.  I'll have to check out his other work.
    AmeliaTravis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited March 2015
    Probably wasn't the best idea to show Raylan the new identity, but who knows?

Also, no one's dumb enough to believe that there isn't a transponder in the money, right? I can't see how the writers get out of this without making one (or more) uncharacteristically stupid. Whether it be Markem for not being able to track the money, or Boyd/Ava for not thinking to check it.
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited March 2015
    I thought there were a lot of questionable decisions in this one. But I'm going to reserve judgment till I see how this plays out. Standout scene for me: Loretta's grandaunt & Markham. I was half hoping she shot Boon when he went in for the kill. Sam Elliott is money in the bank. The Boon/Hat sequence in the diner was super stilted for me. As good as he's been, this one just didn't work. Maybe it could've been tightened up. Drew out so long, it felt like he has 3 monologues. Bad guys only get one before they make a move. (See Mike Ehrmantraut for reference).
  • CoryCory New Scotland

Standout scene for me: Katherine's mom & Markham. I was half hoping she shot Boon when he went in for the kill.

That was Katherine's mother?  I thought it was Loretta's great aunt or some other distant relation?
    edited March 2015
    @Cory duh, brain fart. you are right, Loretta's grandaunt. Updated my post to fix the mistake..
    Cory
    Do we think it's still possible to have Boyd and Raylan work together, or nah?
    trippy
    Do we think it's still possible to have Boyd and Raylan work together, or nah?
    I don't see how.  They don't have a common foe or goal, unless you count Boyd hunting Ava for the money and Raylan hunting Ava because that's his job, well maybe the three of them could end up Bulletville together one last time.  I could see Raylan teaming up with Ava more than with Boyd.

I like how Boyd's nastier traits will probably be his undoing.  Ava got fed up with his violent temper and disloyalty, Earl and Carl will surely turn against him, Markham and Katherine both have a reason to hunt him down, Limehouse is finished with him, Zachariah...the list goes on.... 

As a side note, when I did a cursory check of this forum the other night and saw A.Ron's thread for "RICO," I turned on FX because this season has been RICO this and RICO that, and I was super tired and just not thinking.  Imagine my momentary confusion and anger that Justified was bizarrely pre-empted for some B-movie.  Then I realized that it was Monday, not Tuesday, the thread was for Better Call Saul, and I was a dumb.
    Travis
  • Right when I was beginning to get tired of the Ava storyline, they slapped me in the face for it with that last scene. How does she shoot him with 3 episodes left?! That's like penultimate episode stuff, happening now. I have no idea where they're going with this, but it must be good. On another note, I loved the Boon scenes. Looking forward to see what happens with him.
    Now, with only three episodes left, I'm officially predicting that Boyd will meet his end before this is over. And that Ava will get away somehow. Raylan, I honestly don't know. I guess I'll say he lives, only because usually in Elmore Leonard stories the hero lives.
    Lastly, I've got one question: do you watch the next episode preview, or not? Its not a big deal, but I'm curious. They kinda give stuff away and with only a few left to go some people don't like to watch. I rememeber Breaking Bad didn't even give any during it's final season.
  • @pavlovsbell
    Haha! That is still probably my all time favorite Boyd line. And definitely one of my favorite scenes of this show ever. I love that this season is showing Ava as a great character again; one who shoots Crowder men who do her wrong and inspires lines like that one.
    Oh god, thanks for posting that, I just got a good laugh out of it.
    pavlovsbell
  • Really loved this episode - all the conflicts give it tons of emotional punch, and I can't wait for the rest of the season.  I didn't see Ava's double-double cross coming, but it made perfect sense.  My guess is that Boyd sacrifices himself somehow to save her, but I'm only 60-40.

Everyone's emotional beats were dead on, but after a day or so, I ended up with some logical questions.

1) Vasquez is going to throw Ava in prison?   She was never convicted for killing whats his name, and I don't think they got her for any of her crimes committed while in prison, so the only sentence they have is for something they know for a fact she didn't do - stabbing Fikus.   That's cold, and frankly Ava should point it out to Raylan.

2) Why did Boyd set up Carl and Earl?   When he told Carl to run instead of helping him last week, I assumed he had some loyalty to the guy, and worse yet, I don't see how it helps him.  He could just as easily have told them to hat up, drive to the armored car, then NOT rob it, then buried $100,000 for each of them on his way out of the country.
  • edited March 2015
    @Original_Joseph
    This has been happening with most of the plot points/storylines this season. If you look too closely, you can see some pretty big holes. I mean, with some of the crazy stories this show has told throughout the years, I'm sure this is not the first time, but it's defintiely the most noticeable. Very strange. However, it doesn't really take anything away from how good this season is, so I don't really mind. They've addressed this in the podcast as well a few times I believe. I think the biggest one that doesn't make sense to me is what exactly do the Marhsals have on Ava to send her back to prison if everyone knows the guard was lying. I guess they just needed this particular storyline with Ava, not focusing too much how on the details of how it got there.
    Original_Joseph
  • JeramiahJeramiah Richmond Indiana
    Just a thought, but does anybody else think it's possible that Ava and Boyd are in on this together? 
    Evidence ...
    -Ava shoots Boyd in the upper shoulder area, a place very commonly seen as not fatal in TV/Movie plots
    -Boyd and Ava saving the "one time only" use phone for Raylan, and then them focusing on it in this episode
    -Boyd goes to the hospital (if not fatally shot), where it would be much easier to escape from than a prison
    -Boyd would have the "protection" of the marshal service from Markham and Katherine while he is in the hospital
    -Ava could have easily shot Raylan while she was escaping, but the only thing Raylan really wants is to get Boyd before he leaves Harlan. Her line says that they all know just that, "I'm giving you exactly what you want, Boyd Crowder bleeding at your feet"

I could be wrong, and it is just a guess right now, but I could see this show going off as Boyd and Ava escape to another country, Raylan thinks Boyd has suffered enough by being shot again and being betrayed by Ava, so he heads off to Florida, and some how Markham, Katherine, and Duffy all kill each other off.

ksa1001
    @Jeramiah That's an interesting theory, and lord knows I'm not ruling anything out at this point.

Listening to the cast on this episode...

The term "ofay" is not too uncommon, and has been used in Justified prior (Season 1, Episode 4) by Clarence Williams III's character.
    Travis
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard - there is no known origin to "ofay

When I was growing up in Alabama in the '70s, I heard it all the time. But you don't hear it nearly as much these days. 
    edited March 2015
    p.s This Wikipedia entry on "peckerwood" is accurate by my experience in the South, regarding rednecks. Again, these days it's just good ole slang for a jerkoff of any flavor. As in, "That peckerwood doesn't know wrasp from file. He's good for nothing."
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

@hypergenesb I'm sorry if someone else got this (I haven't listened to the cast yet and it's busy at work today so I haven't read the thread entirely), but I was thinking that "Ofay" was pig latin for Faux. That's what I was thinking Limehouse's joke is.

EDIT: Oh, I just clicked the link. Ahhh, so Limehouse was basically making their last name "Cracker" or something like that? That is kind of funny. I thought the other way was funny, but I was thinking that it required an awful lot of gymnastics to arrive at it for such a quick exchange that was obviously supposed to add up to something.

• @Jeramiah
    Wow, that sounds pretty convincing. This show is known for doing very complicated twists and turns, but that is like ten fold anything they've ever done. However, it could happen, I wouldn't rule it out. I've never been able to guess anything correctly on this show. They always surprise me. And if this show is going for a 'happy' ending (as happy as it can be on Justified), that's totally the way they would go I feel.
  • @Travis - that's right, you cracker ass cracker (said in my best Chris Rock voice).
    Travisksa1001
  • Just in case anyone is interested and hasn't seen it, there is a drawing to go see the finale of Justified where they'll fly you out and you can hang out with Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, and Joelle Carter. You basically buy entries for the drawing by donating to the Harlan County Boys and Girls Club. I know there's no chance in hell, but I had to toss in just in case.

http://www.omaze.com/experiences/justified

Jovial_FalconOriginal_Joseph