HBO's Watchmen- not an adaption of the comic book series, not a sequel.

Damon Lindelof posted a long Instagram text about his respect for Alan Moore's and Dave Gibbons's Watchmen.  In it he says the original comics will serve as canon for the TV show but that the TV show will not be a sequel, it will be stories set in the Watchmen world.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I could see that working. It could give him the creative freedom to tell the stories he wants to tell while not just writing a story which has already been told in the movie/comic. He did really great work on character-heavy episodes with The Leftovers, I could see him doing the same thing here with characters from The Watchmen, and then pulling it all together for the season's finale. I guess I am not sure if I've heard confirmation if this was to be a mini-series or an on-going. I honestly could see it going either way. 
    JaimieT
  • Whatever he’s doing I’m gonna watch it. He basically has a blank check from me at this point. If he thinks it’s good I’m gonna check it out. 
    Dummy
  • edited May 23
    Hnye said:
    Whatever he’s doing I’m gonna watch it. He basically has a blank check from me at this point. If he thinks it’s good I’m gonna check it out. 
    I have the same exact thought process as you do.  Whatever he signs on to do, I'll watch and give it a shot.  Plus on top of it I think he could make a damn good Watchmen series.  Also the fact that this is an HBO show gives me that much more optimism for it.  
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    The Leftovers will be represented as Regina King has been cast in an unknown role. As has... Don Johnson.
  • The Leftovers will be represented as Regina King has been cast in an unknown role. As has... Don Johnson.
    Regina King killed it in season 2 of The Leftovers and I'm assuming Lindelof saw her talent and thought she'd be great for a role in this.  That and she's won the ever prestigious Baldie, not many actresses can say that.
    MattyWeavesaki