Solo (Spoilers)

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
really enjoyed it but have so many questions about Darth Maul. He looks a lot older and he was never a leader so pretty confused by this. Not sure what to think. I know Rebels is Canon but he looked a lot older than episode 1 Darth Maul. Trying to place this movie in the timeline and I can’t. 
JoshuaHeterKingKobra

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    This can't be that long before the events of Episode 4. And doing a little googling, screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan told JJ Abrams it was about ten years before Episode 4. So twenty-ish years after Phantom Menace?

I thought the Darth Maul twist was cool. Unfortunately I clicked on this thread before seeing it last night so I was just waiting the whole movie to see him. As soon as I heard the words "Crimson Dawn" I knew he would be in charge.
    Jovial_FalconKingKobra
  • I'm really glad you guys liked it but damn I thought this movie was just real rough. If this wasn't a Star Wars movie, I think it would have been an alright space heist film, but every single time they tried to tie it to Star Wars it was just utterly cringe worthy in ways that completely undercut the original trilogy. I would point to how Han Solo got his name, how he meets Chewbacca, how he apparently is too lazy to say the 3 syllables Chewbacca so he calls him Chewy, and that's just the first 30 minutes. The whole Kessel Run was just a much worse version of the astroid field in Empire. And the Darth Maul reveal was the coup de gras of god awful fan service. The best part of Star Wars is how grand and mythological the whole world feels and bringing Darth Maul back as some stupid looking half alien half robot cartoon just makes the world feel so small. As bad as the acting and the CGI was in the prequels, they were at least ambitious and tried (albeit often times unsuccessfully) to tell a universe expanding story about a child's fall from grace. I'm interested to hear what Jim and A.Ron have to say about the movie but I thought this movie was just a giant bummer not because it was a trainwreck of a movie, but because of how superfluous and ordinary it felt. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Why is Darth Maul in this movie?
    JoshuaHeterDummyJaimieTPreservedKillick
    Are they trying to incorporate him in another side story or something? I feel like Clone Wars and Rebels basically told me all I need about Maul. 
    Jovial_Falcon
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited May 25
    Hatorian said:
    really enjoyed it but have so many questions about Darth Maul. He looks a lot older and he was never a leader so pretty confused by this. Not sure what to think. I know Rebels is Canon but he looked a lot older than episode 1 Darth Maul. Trying to place this movie in the timeline and I can’t. 
    Was definitely surprised to see him pop up. Saw some buzz about a surprise cameo, but was expecting somebody like Vader or the Emperor. Jabba would have made sense since he would be interested in eliminating any competition.

I'm figuring this is about 2-3 years before the events of Rebels. Not sure it narratively makes sense since in Rebels they find Maul just alone in a cave, and looks like he's been there a while. We know that by this point in his story, he hates essentially everybody, Empire included. Made sense in Solo that he's using his influence to sew chaos, either purposefully or inadvertently giving a major funding boost to the fledgling rebellion (X-wings can't be cheap!).

I guess at some point in the next couple years after this the Emperor/Vader notice the trouble he's causing and shut him down? Just took a look, and the first time he pops up on Rebels he's being hunted by the Emperors Inquisitors while he's looking for Sith artifacts, so a ton of stuff would have had to happen between Solo and Rebels for that to work where he goes from top crime lord with a massive criminal network to all alone rouge Sith.

• JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    So... how old is Han in this movie? How old is he when he meets Luke and Obi-wan?

This movie has to take place 20 or so years before the events of the Original Trilogy, right?

I'm not sure the math checks out.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    So... how old is Han in this movie? How old is he when he meets Luke and Obi-wan?

This movie has to take place 20 or so years before the events of the Original Trilogy, right?

I'm not sure the math checks out.

I think story-wise it's supposed to be about 10.

Strictly speaking, Harrison Ford was 35 when Star Wars came out, Alden Ehrenreich is 28, so even their actual age difference isn't too far off for that to fit.
    JoshuaHeterTheEconomistJaimieT
  • I honestly didn't hate it. I struggle to say it was good, but the action scenes were pretty entertaining. The dialogue between Han and Qi'ra was some of the worst I've heard since Attack of the Clones. I also felt like I was being nudged nonstop by the makers of this movie like "Hey hey hey, remember that line from the OT!? That's where he got it from!". I really don't want that. Lastly, why add Darth Maul? I feel like they are trying too hard to tie everything together and it feels forced. My new ranking of the Disney movies is:

1. Rogue One
    2. The Last Jedi
    3. Solo
    4. The Force Awakens 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 27
    I'm still in the haze of recency bias so I don't dare rank anything, but I enjoyed my first viewing of this movie as much as TFA. I know I need to see this again, possibly two more times, before I can suss out what's off about Han's character arc in this movie. Or maybe it's spot on, just really subtle. When this movie hits its notes, it does it in such an obvious way that it seems a little odd to have a subtle character arc for the protagonist, but it's possible I guess.

Honestly, I feel about this movie similarly to how I feel about Mamma Mia. Solo is a silly movie that sticks to its own logic and therefore kinda works. FOR ME. I certainly don't think anyone who comes along and dislikes Mamma Mia is crazy. I can sympathize with their dislike, and that seems to be the case for Solo as I'm reading everyone's criticisms. For me, the movie is a ridiculous movie with good moments.

Like the moment when Tanya does her dance number with all the boys on the beach... Whoa, wrong movie.

Like every scene with Paul Bettany, like the first gambling scene with Lando when they faked us out, like Han flirting with Qi'ra on the Falcon and there's a bed in the background that looked exactly like I'd always imagined it would (just me? yeah? okay). I thought Qi'ra and Han had real chemistry. I was totally digging all of their kisses. They were Leia/Han level kisses for me. And Alden Ehrenreich can moon with his eyes like Harrison Ford could. I mean, no one is as good as Harrison Ford is at anything, but Ehrenreich exudes the requisite amount of boyishness and ambition.

Man, what a silly movie. But what can I say, for a long time now I've liked watching Alden Ehrenreich's face. And now he looks vaguely like Han Solo, so I'm pretty goddamned content.

My infatuation with Han Solo used to confuse me, but I've heard Dan Harmon wax poetic about him too so I've decided Han Solo isn't an indicator of one's sexuality. Han Solo is a state of mind, a religion.

BULLET POINTS.

• The biggest laugh in the movie for me was Han getting his last name. I like to imagine this imperial clerk makes a hobby of this. "I'm afraid it's only Jacob sir, my mother sold me into slavery, I only just escaped last year." "Oh I see! That's very covert of you. How about... Jacob Sly." And Jeremy Jahns on YouTube pointed out that if Solo is a bullshit name and Ben was also Obi-Wan's alias, then Ben Solo has yet another reason to hate his parents.
    • Holy shit, I didn't hate the inevitable "I love you, I know" reference.
    • I've been trained to accept a lot of bullshit by Marvel and recent Star Wars fare, and other movies as well, so I know I'm being unfairly forgiving of callbacks like the dice, the "teach me how to do that" blaster spin, the close-ups of the smuggling panels, etc. Also long boring action sequences. I don't know how anyone judges an action sequence good; they all seem laborious to me, and this movie was no different.
    • The droid who went S.P.E.W. I guess if I forgive the Harry Potter series for SPEWing for 1 book, I can forgive a droid for 1 movie.
    • Donald Glover was excellent, but I didn't understand what the writers were trying to do with him and his droid. I suspect that was something that got chopped. Lando dragging a broken droid back to the Falcon felt un-Lando. Maybe I missed a scene where Lando expressed affection for the droid? I'd think the droid's observations weren't meant to be reliable evidence.
    • The origin of "Chewie"... yeah, because people announce when they're going to give people nicknames, and they come up with them during moments when your life is in danger.
    • Imperial probe droids defending a bridge from Thandie Newton... sigh. 
    • Paul Bettany doesn't get enough screen time in any movie or even his whole career.
    • I thought the Kessel run time/distance redemption attempt was clever. I'm very thankful it wasn't just made into a joke, and they wrote a valid reason someone would refer to it the way Han did in episode IV.
    • I was in fits of laughter after the movie thinking back on Darth Maul. It's so bad. But unlike the other stupid things in this movie, I could have done without this one... because I did enjoy the movie, and I wish the movie had had the conviction to stand on its own two feet and just been a goddamned Han Solo movie. Show a shadowy figure, introduce Maul in the next movie, the important part is Qi'ra is a slick liar. Instead it's the godawful Marvel scenario where the general audience is confused and lost, and the geeks get to swoop in and save the day. Geeks live for that shit. If a movie requires them to get involved, well, it's just a better movie isn't it.
    • I thought the part at the beginning where Han tries to squeeze through the gap and the cab slows to a stop and is stuck was a clever callback. If you're going to do callbacks, maybe just evoke the idea, you know? Don't recreate it?
    • The reason for my opening thought about the movie having a (possibly) subtle character arc for Han is, when Han shot Woody Harrelson, it didn't feel poignant. It should have felt poignant, right? He runs over and holds the guy while he dies. And I want to examine the whys of that. (Yes, I know it's also a reference.)
    • I like that Han goes for ambitious women who enjoy him for the fun he gives them, but they invariably need to go where he cannot follow... toward responsibilities. He's space Peter Pan.

In conclusion, I love watching Alden Ehrenreich as Han Solo, but I also love watching Daisy Ridley as Rey, so this ain't an anomaly and I don't know how everything will rank yet.

I am sad, yet again, that these movies always feel focus-grouped to death, never feel made with a specific vision in mind. One thing I can say for TLJ, if you remove all the jokey-jokes, it did its own thing. And I think if Solo had removed Darth Maul, it would have been stronger for it. It would have had a more self-contained ridiculousness. ;)

JoshuaHeterdarwinfeeshyKingKobraFlukes
  • edited May 27
    I enjoyed the movie very much. Nice origin story and I've been waiting for some more crime syndicate/mafia stuff since Clone Wars. Maul has been established as a crime lord before but I didn't expect him to show up in any live action movies. I loved the tease of him for either the next Solo film or hopefully he is part of a Bounty Hunter film of sorts.

I didn't expect Thandie and Favreua's characters to exit so quick so not having Thandie around longer was a bummer.

The only downside was I thought we were getting more Empire in this movie. They teased the Star Destoyer being built at the beginning and I thought we were going to get some Academy stuff but oh well.
    I mean I didn’t really like this movie but I also don’t begrudge people who liked it. Star Wars as a franchise has seemingly hit a point where not every movie is for everyone, maybe you’ll like a RO, or TFA, or TLJ, or even Solo, they’re not all the same basic structure anymore so everyone will probably like a different one. 
    I guess I could get into all my problems with this movie but also I’m kind of just indifferent towards this movie so I don’t really care that much. 
  • I loved seeing Disney not being afraid to use not only the Prequels but the Animated series Canon in the these new movies.

With the amount of hate that has dished out for the prequels, it was great to see them take a risk and re-introduce something from the past. I guess technically they did it already by bringing back Saw Gerrera from Clone Wars but I respect the move. I think using Maul to introduce more crime syndicate stuff in the future will work out for them.

All I need to know now is how the F did Maul end up on Malachor in a Sith Temple when we see him again in Rebels. I am looking forward to that story and journey very much. Hopefully live action but I'll take comics if I have to.
  • I was so bummed when they killed Thandie Newtons character, this woman is a legit action hero badass. A Liam Neeson/Taken type vehicle would be perfect for her
    Jovial_FalconKingKobra
    Solo had an opening weekend of $83 million. That's low for SW. I'd argue here is where you're seeing how The Last Jedi was actually received.
    JoshuaHeter
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm just not sure that people care enough about seeing a Han origin story. Personally this was the first movie of the new batch (main episodes included) that I wasn't super hype about.
    edited May 27
    @JaimieT I mean maybe but expectations for Solo were very low across the board even before TLJ aired so it seems more like people just didn’t care enough to see this movie. This movie went through a lot of very public production hell which didn’t inspire much confidence in people as to how the final product would turn out. (Personally I think it’s very evident this movie is peacemeal and the product of multiple re-writes but that’s a separate issue)
    edited May 27
    I still think if TLJ had been as good as TFA we wouldn't be seeing fatigue after 3 movies. Rogue One was superfluous too.
    So interesting how varied people's opinions are about the new additions.

At this point my ranked list is something like:

1. Empire
    2. Rogue One
    3. A New Hope
    4. Force Awakens
    5. Last Jedi
    6. Return Of The Jedi
    7. Solo
    8. Revenge Of The Sith
    9. Phantom Menace
    10. Attack Of The Clones

And honestly, that's a close call between Solo and Revenge Of The Sith.
    KingKobra
    Also, I will say that compared to all of the other 'modern' releases, the marketing and promotion for Solo here in the UK has been next to nothing. A few segments on morning TV and hardly anything else. My brother didn't even know that a Star Wars movie was coming out this year.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    This wasn't in any way a bad movie, there were some parts that were meh but ultimately this is an enjoyable movie. 

I think Solo suffers from the same issue as the prequels suffered from and no its not bad writing or directing its a lack of drama. Anytime there is any suspense that feature Lando, Han, Chewie, the falcon or basically anyone that made it to future movies you knew everything was going to be fine and it makes the scene useless. The only thing that got me in the movie is that Qi'ra made it through and that was a great twist.
    Jovial_FalconJoshuaHeter
  • edited May 28
    There's a hole in my heart from not having Jim & A. Ron's take yet :(

Curse you, Con of Thrones.
    Jovial_Falcon
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    There's a hole in my heart from not having Jim & A. Ron's take yet :(

Curse you, Con of Thrones.
    I've resorted to downloading episodes from *other* pop-culture reviewing podcasters who've covered Solo.

I feel so dirty, so ashamed.
    Jovial_FalconjhparkJaimieTdarwinfeeshy
  • I was pleasantly surprised.  I didn’t think there was any way they could pull off replicating a Han Solo, but they did as good as you could’ve hoped for, imo.  They didn’t go over the top with Star Wars humor.  They didn’t go over the top with unrealistic “getting out of a jam” moments.

the one thing I’m trying to figure out in my head is darth maul’s timeline.  Obiwan was depicted, seemingly, in his early 20’s in episode 1, right? Darth Maul was killed in episode 1.  We know from episode 4 that obiwan is an old man, perhaps in his 60s.  That’s anywhere from 30-40 years from episode 1 to episode 4.  So if Solo happened before episode 1, we should expect that the Solo from this movie is 30-40 years younger than Episode 4 Solo?  There’s no way.  Am I missing something?
    JaimieT
    edited May 28
    Darth Maul survives the Phantom Menace battle in Star Wars stuff that I think is considered canon. He now has a robotic lower half.
    JoshuaHeterKingKobra
    Yeah the random Darth Maul cameo is confusing for anyone who hasn’t seen Clone Wars or Rebels and kind of pointless for people who have. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • So is it basically confirmed that Maul will return in later films? It seems weird to set him up and not have him return later.

Maybe he will appear in the Boba Fett film?
    Jovial_Falcon
  • edited May 28
    Welp, we finally hit a new Star Wars movie that I didn’t love. I wouldn’t necessarily say it was a waste of my time, but I’m not sure I can say the same for everyone else involved in making this. 

I dont know if they ran out of their lighting budget during reshoots, but holy shit I could barely see the first act of this movie. Someone complained about it at the desk as we were walking out and the guy was like “people have been complaining since Thursday, it’s the movie.”

At times this sort of looked like a Star Wars movie and at other times it looked like an expensive YouTube fan film made by someone who really loves Han’s dice. I’ll say what I said for years leading up to this- This should have been a Lando movie with a cameo from Han and Chewie, because being overshadowed by literally every single person in this movie was not a good look. When Emilia Clarke overshadows you? *shudders*

Right now I’m ranking this one ahead of the prequels and behind everything else.
    amyja89
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Yeah the random Darth Maul cameo is confusing for anyone who hasn’t seen Clone Wars or Rebels and kind of pointless for people who have. 
    I haven’t seen either, so to me it’s absurd to wave a hand at Darth Maul being chopped in half and falling into a bottomless pit as shown in episode 1.  Are we to think episode 1 was not the “real” story?  No matter how bad episode 1 may have been, I still respect it as part of the core Star Wars saga.
    JaimieT
    I mean the explanation in universe is something something force powers robot legs whatever, it’s all very nonsensical.