307 - Delta-V

Directed By: Ken Fink
Written By: Naren Shankar

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 2018
    More Science facts: Delta-V stands for change in velocity and is used in spatial flight dynamics to measures things such as the change in velocity due to fuel burn. 
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 2018
    Re: the initial reaction in the podcast...

I LOVE time jumps, so I was all about this episode. Time jumps fast-track character development and give the show much more content in that department than it would otherwise have. Mad Men always did it to great effect. 

If we'd stayed with the Rocinante through all the crew changes, I'm sure the writers could have written plenty of interesting events, but we wouldn't have had one entire episode devoted to learning more about these people. With the time jump, these still moments felt charged. The documentary angle added conflict too, but we were as hungry as the filmmakers were. 

More thoughts tomorrow.
    ken hale
  • edited May 2018
    OK, best episode yet. David Straithairn as a stand-in for Dawes is perfect. Documentary crew was a good way to insert levity and make exposition more natural. Naomi has the right accent; better late than never. And the bookends with the slingshotter were hilarious, added texture to the world, and concluded in the most epic way possible.

It's really annoying that this show keeps getting better after announcing its cancellation.
    The_Third_ManMelonuskPangs
  • Agree with the previous posts, this was a great episode. This season has been knocking it out of the park. 
    The_Third_Man
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 2018
    @JaimieT I also love time jumps ... I get downright giddy when a show I like unexpectedly does one. No exception here!

The Bobbie-Alex flame is alive, he's officially single ... "you can fly me anytime" lol

Anyone else read "Seveneves"? That's one of the best recent depictions I can think of where very technical details about delta-v and orbital mechanics was a big part of the plot and done really well.

The final scene of this episode certainly paid off the title in a disgusting way.
    JaimieT
  • OK, best episode yet. David Straithairn as a stand-in for Dawes is perfect. Documentary crew was a good way to insert levity and make exposition more natural. Naomi has the right accent; better late than never. And the bookends with the slingshotter were hilarious, added texture to the world, and concluded in the most epic way possible.

It's really annoying that this show keeps getting better after announcing its cancellation.
    That guy's had a busy year.  He was in Billions and McMafia this season, as well.  Fine with me, he's a good actor.  But I thought something about his Belter accent was a little off, though.  Might just be that distinctive voice doesn't really fit the slang language.
    About Naomi's accent...

I have a friend who speaks perfect American English, but when I stayed with her in Singapore for 3 weeks, where she was from, she slipped right into Singlish around her friends. Singlish, or Singaporean English, is categorized as a Creole language, and one I could understand with practice. Heck I even started leaning into it myself by week 3. I think it's a case of When in Rome.
    The_Third_ManPangsDemic
  • Fantastic episode as everybody has mentioned.  I was kind of bummed when I saw in the opening credits that Thomas Jane would be back this episode.  Only because that spoiled that he would later be in the episode BUT that by no means ruined the episode in any way.  I love the jump forward in time, it leaves you with a bunch of questions on how did they get to this point that they can slowly let you in on.

Mr. X you nailed it with the Bobbi quote to Alex, as soon as she said that I thought the same exact thing.  But I really don't see her being with anybody relationship wise.  That would just be something that she would see as a distraction I would think.  

The scene of inside the Slingshot racer when he went through the circle (I still think they are idiots and it's a Halo ring) was downright beautiful in a disturbing way.  He was an idiot but very comical and enjoyable to watch.   

Yeah @letrbuck2006, I got spoiled on Miller last Friday or something. So by last night I'd forgotten all about it lol. Too much excitement about the ring.
    So did the protomolecule on the Roci get into Holden's pot of coffee and now he's hallucinating Miller?

DEAD MAN'S BREW
    The_Third_ManA_Ron_HubbardAlkaid13Melonusk
  • JaimieT said:
    About Naomi's accent...

I have a friend who speaks perfect American English, but when I stayed with her in Singapore for 3 weeks, where she was from, she slipped right into Singlish around her friends. Singlish, or Singaporean English, is categorized as a Creole language, and one I could understand with practice. Heck I even started leaning into it myself by week 3. I think it's a case of When in Rome.
    right on...and she's been back with the Belters for six months, more or less, so it seemed quite appropriate. also a conscious way for her to try and fit in.
  • edited May 2018
    I’m having a hard time reconciling how bummed out I am about this episode, particularly the huge time jump.

I really gassed myself up for some great political intrigue, negotiations, and machinations between Earth, Mars, and The Belt with the Roci in the middle of it all that was all going to lead up to The Belt maneuvering themselves into independence. 

Instead the show was just like, fuck all that really interesting shit because it already happened when you weren’t looking, so here’s a documentary crew instead. I legitimately spent 20 or so minutes thinking that SyFy was airing the wrong episode. Maybe it’s my fault for imagining all these big scale galactic sit-downs between Johnson, Dawes, Avasarala, and whoever the heavy hitters for the Martian government are, or maybe that kind of shit is just boring to everyone except for me. Once it blows over I’ll go back and rewatch the episode, but right now I’m really disappointed. 
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    @RyanReeseman - It's very rare that it's the audience's fault they don't like something. What you said seems reasonable, and that sucks.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I’m having a hard time reconciling how bummed out I am about this episode, particularly the huge time jump.

I really gassed myself up for some great political intrigue, negotiations, and machinations between Earth, Mars, and The Belt with the Roci in the middle of it all that was all going to lead up to The Belt maneuvering themselves into independence. 

Instead the show was just like, fuck all that really interesting shit because it already happened when you weren’t looking, so here’s a documentary crew instead. I legitimately spent 20 or so minutes thinking that SyFy was airing the wrong episode. Maybe it’s my fault for imagining all these big scale galactic sit-downs between Johnson, Dawes, Avasarala, and whoever the heavy hitters for the Martian government are, or maybe that kind of shit is just boring to everyone except for me. Once it blows over I’ll go back and rewatch the episode, but right now I’m really disappointed. 
    Totally the same, the only difference is I can only assume that, as interesting as the intrigue of winding down the Mars / Earth war was, maybe it's not as interesting as we thought it would be?  After all, Erinwright is arrested, they have hard proof of his treachery that can be presumably verified, Mars can verify their Defense Minister's involvement, and Earth took the hardest punch in the war so they're in the "forgiveness" driver's seat. Then, the PM squid shooting out of Venus combined with the belters suddenly having the biggest warship in the system would probably sober everybody up. Seems like a lot of diplomacy to arrive at a forgone conclusion.

I still am a bit raw about the character arcs we got "yadda'd" through, but I guess I have faith this team will catch us up on the stuff we need caught up on and keep things interesting.  They've kind of earned it a bit at this point.  It's tough having the natural climax of the story hit at the mid point of the season, we'll see how the rest plays out.
    KingKobraRyanReeseman
  • Yeah I suppose, I’d still rather see that stuff than be told about it. I’m also a real sucker for political maneuvering and meetings, especially when it involves big time personalities that we haven’t seen together before talking about massively important shit.
    Yeah I suppose, I’d still rather see that stuff than be told about it. I’m also a real sucker for political maneuvering and meetings, especially when it involves big time personalities that we haven’t seen together before talking about massively important shit.

See, I don't think we were told about much... 

I think we'll get the details slowly, sort of like how you'd get them if you went linearly. And we'll simultaneously be getting new stuff. 
  • JaimieT said:
    Yeah I suppose, I’d still rather see that stuff than be told about it. I’m also a real sucker for political maneuvering and meetings, especially when it involves big time personalities that we haven’t seen together before talking about massively important shit.

I think we'll get the details slowly, sort of like how you'd get them if you went linearly. And we'll simultaneously be getting new stuff. 
    https://youtu.be/Pqsy7V0wphI
    JaimieT
    KingKobra said:
    JaimieT said:

https://youtu.be/Pqsy7V0wphI

Stop last-jediing this poor man. 
    KingKobra
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard
    Good pod, by the by don’t use IMBD for the writing credits, as you might notice they just reuse the same credits for every episode and while I’m sure Ty and Daniel have writing credits for the series probably they don’t write literally every episode. I usually just wait to check the credits after the episode airs. 
  • I don’t know what The Last Jedi thing means, but my hope is that they will be backtracking and showing us some of the high points of the political stuff that I was looking forward to. I at least want to know why Sorrento-Gillis stepped down.
  • I liked the time jump.  Every character is in a place, physically or metaphorically, that makes sense for them based on the previous episodes, and the universe is more or less in a holding pattern waiting and trying to figure out what the protomolecule's done.  The war and political aspect of the story ended with the Mao/Erlenrichwhatever conspiracy, for now, and the focus has shifted, so there was no point dwelling on the political fallout.
  • I hope that what Cameraguy was "seeing" on the Roci's terminal was some sort of alert about the leftover protomolecule. That it hasn't assimilated the entire ship after 6 months of steady radiation exposure is preposterous.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 2018
    Even if I didn't know this was based on a book series, I would think we just started a new book.  That time skip and Mister, Doctor and Captain Plot Expositions in the early to mid parts of the episode were a little brutal.

I don't think Erinwright just goes meekly to jail because one tight beam to Jules-Pierre Mao ended up in the wrong hands, skipping past the return of Avasarala and the fall of Erinwright seems a little hasty.  Also, if Erinwright thought he was going down for that tight beam, his immediate owning up to it was pretty silly.

Also gotta think that anyone who went to the trouble to erase his past like Amos did isn't going to be around for some documentary crew to broadcast his name and likeness to the 4 corners of the galaxy, and now that they've done deep background work on him, well that's double plus ungood.

Also, Chekov's Protomolecule should have really gone off by now.....
    KingMob said:
    I hope that what Cameraguy was "seeing" on the Roci's terminal was some sort of alert about the leftover protomolecule. That it hasn't assimilated the entire ship after 6 months of steady radiation exposure is preposterous.

Maybe Miller recognizes the ship? That seems far-fetched yeah, but the protomolecule is still an unknown. 
    awookiee
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    JaimieT said:
    KingMob said:
    I hope that what Cameraguy was "seeing" on the Roci's terminal was some sort of alert about the leftover protomolecule. That it hasn't assimilated the entire ship after 6 months of steady radiation exposure is preposterous.

Maybe Miller recognizes the ship? That seems far-fetched yeah, but the protomolecule is still an unknown. 
    Ooh, I like that.
  • Having read the first three books the time jumps didn't really bother me, in fact I was pretty excited to see all the new faces. However, it seems like they omitted one of the POV characters, Bull, entirely. He was one of my favorite characters and if he didn't show up now, I doubt he will later and they already gave some of his stuff to Drummer. I'm really bummed out about it :(

I'm not worried about the protomolecule on the Roci. The protomolecule can do so much stuff and what it did to the people on Eros and on the Agatha King is just one of those things. It can make a hybrid monster, it can disassemble, it can build, it can communicate... who knows what it's going to do on the Roci?
  • JaimieT said:
    KingMob said:

Yeah, that’s a good take. Didn’t even think about it, that little leftover protomolecule is how Miller is beaming in. 
  • Re: Naomi’s Belter accent — I’m from Texas but my accent isn’t that bad (or so I think, haha). But when I’m with relatives who have strong West Texas accents, my accent definitely changes. I have to detox myself after a long weekend with family to get rid of that Texas twang! So I thought it was a very realistic depiction of “coming home” in a way. 

I’m so sad Bobbie isn’t on the Roci anymore.
    Melonuskken hale
    trex said:
    Re: Naomi’s Belter accent — I’m from Texas but my accent isn’t that bad (or so I think, haha). But when I’m with relatives who have strong West Texas accents, my accent definitely changes. I have to detox myself after a long weekend with family to get rid of that Texas twang! So I thought it was a very realistic depiction of “coming home” in a way. 

I’m so sad Bobbie isn’t on the Roci anymore.

Hey, welcome to the board! I'm from TX too. :)
  • JaimieT said:
    About Naomi's accent...

The thing is, prior to this she wasn't blending in at all. She was speaking in some posh British accent that no one else uses. 

Though generally I'm willing to give the show a pass on accents because it's so difficult with SciFi. Probably everyone on Earth should be speaking in a more cosmopolitan blend of English/Spanish/Mandarin/Hindi/etc., but that would be a massive writing/directing/acting challenge. So we have Avasarala speaking only in English but with a heavy accent. But since they do go to to the effort of trying to make a distinct belter accent, Naomi stuck out and (not having read the books) I don't know of of that's an intentional choice to reflect that she came from a part of the belt colonized by exiled British royalty, or just the actress using her default voice.
    ken hale