Amazon Officially Picks Up The Expanse.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheExpanse/comments/8m7o4g/jeff_bezos_just_announced_that_they_are_picking/

Here Jeff Bezos himself personally announces "The Expanse is saved"

Thanks everyone who supported the #savetheexpanse campaign. We fucking did it!

Update: YouTube link of announcement.

KingKobraJaimieTTheEconomistjayneely71A_Ron_HubbardRenidarwinfeeshyphoenyx1023MattyWeavesghm3and 5 others.

Comments

• WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    YEAAAAH BOIIIII
  • edited May 26
    Nice! I don’t watch it (yet) but I was rooting for you guys. 

I didn’t want to start it if it was ending already but it looks like I’ll be starting from season 1 now ASAP. 

I’m not really feeling Westworld Season 2 so this is perfect timing to replace it with a show BM has coverage on. 
    JaimieT
  • GanGan
    edited May 26
    I just noticed my title typo. Dammit. edit:fixed it. 

We in there.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Nice! I don’t watch it (yet) but I was rooting for you guys. 

I didn’t want to start it if it was ending already but it looks like I’ll be starting from season 1 now ASAP. 

I’m not really feeling Westworld Season 2 so this is perfect timing to replace it with a show BM has coverage on. 

I recommend subtitles for season 1. The Belter Creole is dicey. You get used to it, but it still helps.
    NervousRhino
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Huzzah!
  • Hooooly shit yes.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I'm going to pretend the 30 extra dollars all go to this
    JaimieTKingKobra
  • Seeing this just made my night. Thank you Amazon for not letting The Expanse turn into the next Firefly. 
  • I honestly have to give props to the fandom and everyone involved that helped save this great show.
  • That's a lot of pennies.
    bazjenstertoncicaTheEconomistFlukes
  • darwinfeeshy said: That's a lot of pennies.

At least we know why he couldn't stop hoarding them now.. ;)

TheEconomist
  • edited May 26
    JaimieT said

I recommend subtitles for season 1. The Belter Creole is dicey. You get used to it, but it still helps.
    Ok, thanks :)

Anything else? I think Aron said the first season wasn’t the greatest but it was worth the build up. I can handle that, shows like Black Sails and Better Call Saul didn’t win me over until their 2nd seasons. 
  • I loved Season 1! 
    NervousRhinoGanken haleJaimieT
    JaimieT said

Ok, thanks :)

Anything else? I think Aron said the first season wasn’t the greatest but it was worth the build up. I can handle that, shows like Black Sails and Better Call Saul didn’t win me over until their 2nd seasons. 

Do you watch Game of Thrones? I think they have similar first seasons. Slow-burning mysteries with an outsider trying to suss out the players. I disagree that S1 of The Expanse isn't great... when I rewatched it, knowing the answers to the mystery, I realized how brilliant it was. BUT points knocked for it not being that good the first time, I guess.

I give one other piece of advice here, as well as how you can go about it. (http://forums.baldmove.com/discussion/comment/97557/#Comment_97557) Maybe just read my comment, which I've directly linked, because there are likely spoilers on the rest of that thread.

Things pick up around episode 8, and then you've got a fantastic S2 and a (so far) fantastic S3. Happy watching!

NervousRhinoMattyWeaves
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    This is great news! First cancelled favorite of mine that’s ever been saved.
  • @Jim & @A_Ron_Hubbard You know what this means don't you? Henceforth the Roci must now be only referred to as The Coppernante in your podcasts.
    WarpFoxksa1001Flukes
  • I really liked season 1. If I didn't I would not have watched season 2. 
    JaimieT
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    This really is sort of a game changer. First, we had Brooklyn 99 that got picked back up. But that was a network show. This is a SyFy show with a loyal fanbase... it really does set the stage for future lesser known, niche shows getting picked up after being canceled. 
    Elisa
  • Well, it'll actually be sort of a litmus test. If it shares similar success on Amazon as it did on SyFy or if it does worse. 
  • Gan said:
    I really liked season 1. If I didn't I would not have watched season 2. 
    I’m sure he was saying season 1 was good but seasons 2 and 3 are great. I just phrased it wrong. 
  • edited May 26
    Out of all the shows I watch, only two of them got cancelled this season, and both got saved, so...I am very happy with this.
  • Good stuff. Hopefully part of the deal was inserting a flashback to the brave, wealthy, bald man who pioneered space travel with his pennies.

Is there some kind of space themed lasagna recipe I can make to celebrate this Wednesday?
    JaimieT
    edited May 26
    Good stuff. Hopefully part of the deal was inserting a flashback to the brave, wealthy, bald man who pioneered space travel with his pennies.

Is there some kind of space themed lasagna recipe I can make to celebrate this Wednesday?

A vegan lasagna would probably be close... 

Or maybe find a normal lasagna, use vegan cheese, and keep the rest the same. They probably have eggs/meat in space? I think the Belter kibble involved meat of some kind...
    alexander.klassen
  • Good stuff. Hopefully part of the deal was inserting a flashback to the brave, wealthy, bald man who pioneered space travel with his pennies.

I think it'd be very similar to the stroganoff Alex made... the meat is soy, the cheese is soy... but maybe the lasagne sheets are real pasta. Yum.
    JaimieT
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I think Longmire may have started that trend. 

This really is sort of a game changer. First, we had Brooklyn 99 that got picked back up. But that was a network show. This is a SyFy show with a loyal fanbase... it really does set the stage for future lesser known, niche shows getting picked up after being canceled. 
    The thing is that no one may ever know how the Expanse does on Amazon unless it gets cancelled at some point. 

Gan said:
    Well, it'll actually be sort of a litmus test. If it shares similar success on Amazon as it did on SyFy or if it does worse. 

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I am just so fucking happy right now. Another fantastic side effect is the #SaveTheExpanse campaign has put it on a lot of people's radar. Great time to have started full coverage on BM!
    alexander.klassenthe_swedeJaimieTElisa
  • Hopefully people actually fucking watch it now. 
  • Gan said:
    Well, it'll actually be sort of a litmus test. If it shares similar success on Amazon as it did on SyFy or if it does worse. 
    I don't understand the skepticism.  I'm sure Amazon already knows how many viewers the first two seasons were getting on their platform, and it's natural to assume they'll have more now that the show won't air on television.  If they weren't already happy with the numbers, they wouldn't have picked it up.  Ironically, as people like me had to buy the latest season on Amazon in order to watch it, and already had prime, they might make less money than they did.
    ken hale said:
    Gan said:
    I don't understand the skepticism.  I'm sure Amazon already knows how many viewers the first two seasons were getting on their platform, and it's natural to assume they'll have more now that the show won't air on television.  If they weren't already happy with the numbers, they wouldn't have picked it up.  Ironically, as people like me had to buy the latest season on Amazon in order to watch it, and already had prime, they might make less money than they did.

Maybe, but they have those numbers too. For instance I'm grandfathered into my mom's Prime and get free 2-day shipping, only. No instant video. I'll be buying season 4, not Prime. Unless they make it Prime only...
  • Does anyone know Amazon's TV show format? I have prime and use the streaming service from time to time, but I've never followed one of their originals. I honestly don't know if I'd be down for a Netflix style drop it all at once and binge. Obviously, I'll take anymore Expanse I can get, but I wonder how this will change the production of the show. Having SyFy as the carrier must have been limiting.