Andrew Lincoln (Rick Grimes) Appears to be Leaving TWD. Will only be in six episodes in season 9.

We’re hearing that, by the end of Season 9 of AMC’s hit drama series The Walking Dead, Rick Grimes himself will be walking away. That’s right TWD enthusiasts, Andrew Lincoln will be growling his way through the post-apocalyptic setting for just one more season before calling it quits. And while we won’t be spoiling just how the series’ founding character makes his exit, we do know that fans can only expect to see Lincoln in half-a-dozen episodes of the upcoming season.

If true, it could give the show a much needed refresh, or lead to its cancellation. Personally I feel like AMC should use it as an opportunity to hire some great writers and less known actors/actresses make a good story and completely go a different direction than the comics. Also I feel like they might want to make Lauren Cohan (Maggie) into the main character now, but even though she is staying for season 9 I can't see her sticking around if her new show is more popular. 


«13

Comments

  • LordByLordBy Utah
    Andy Lincoln was only sticking around for the Bald Move coverage. Now there is no point.
    gguenotGanMelonuskAlkaid13ChinaskiDeeCretanBullMurderbearWheatfieldsillmaticand 26 others.
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    This is all assuming that AMC was halfway competent. Most likely they will continue to try and half-ass their way through another season somehow without both of the main characters and then cancel the show when the ratings inevitably become so low it’s no longer worth the minimal amount of time and money they put into this show. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    This is all assuming that AMC was halfway competent. Most likely they will continue to try and half-ass their way through another season somehow without both of the main characters and then cancel the show when the ratings inevitably become so low it’s no longer worth the minimal amount of time and money they put into this show. 
    True dat. But AMC is stubborn as hell, they will milk TWD dry. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    We’re one step closer to the dream team that is TWD helmed by Eugene, Tara, and Heath. 
    BourbonQueenFlukesmichielterlouwTaraC73Travis
  • GanGan
    edited May 29
    Alkaid13 said:
    We’re one step closer to the dream team that is TWD helmed by Eugene, Tara, and Heath. 
     Turn Eugene into a zombie android and I'll watch it. 
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    Googled this and I see Lauren Cohan’s contract only covers 6eps of next season also.

    How will the remaining loyal fans deal with no Carl, no Rick, and no Maggie for the bottom half of season 9?
    JTKIIIFlukes
  • LordBy said:
    Googled this and I see Lauren Cohan’s contract only covers 6eps of next season also.

    How will the remaining loyal fans deal with no Carl, no Rick, and no Maggie for the bottom half of season 9?
    Fuck. Wow. Guess Lauren said "I'll give AMC a sympathy role but then I'm FUCKING OF HERE"

    Can't blame her though. 
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    http://collider.com/andrew-lincoln-leaving-walking-dead-season-9/

    Also says that Reedus is ringing the register to be the new star. I wonder how the genius writers room will transform him back into a multidimensional character...

    They’re going to need to bring in Guy Ferrari for sure.
    PangsKela15TaraC73DStar
  • A goldfish has more complex and nuanced emotions and motives than AMC's recent portrayal of Daryl Dixon. I don't see it working especially if they keep the same D-Tier writers. 
    MegGryffindorjessicat
  • This is just. Wow...... if this is true it's not twd anymore 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I don't know how prone I am to believe the words of a website/journalist who can't cite their source.  There is no proof of anything here. 
  • Michelle said:
    I don't know how prone I am to believe the words of a website/journalist who can't cite their source.  There is no proof of anything here. 
    This is a fair opinion. That's why I qualified with "Appears to be leaving" in the title, and "If this is true" in the opening post. 
    jessicat
  • GanGan
    edited May 29
    Michelle said:
    I don't know how prone I am to believe the words of a website/journalist who can't cite their source.  There is no proof of anything here. 


    Apparently Comicbook.com's Brandon Davis is confirming that the news is true. 

  • C'mon Watching Dead! Rise for the last six episodes!
    russkellyGanFernNYC17AxisRainsaraej319
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Gan said:
    Michelle said:
    I don't know how prone I am to believe the words of a website/journalist who can't cite their source.  There is no proof of anything here. 


    Apparently Comicbook.com's Brandon Davis is confirming that the news is true. 

    If you follow the links in the tweets, there still isn't anything concrete to cite as a source other than 'multiple sources' that aren't named, and 'it is being reported' (by who????).   To me, this is all gossipy sites being gossipy.   I won't believe anything until AMC confirms.  I'm just stubborn and skeptical that way I suppose.
  • Brandon Davis himself is a source from Comicbook.com that is personally saying it is true. Comicbook.com is a fairly reputable news source and that he is saying it  himself, personally adds a lot of legitimacy to the news, but by your own admission you say you won't believe it until AMC confirms it but you have to question why would they mention it? It is AMC's fiduciary duty to NOT mention anything about it for several reasons. 

    1. It's a big spoiler, upsetting fans that didn't want to know that Rick is either leaving the show or dying..
    2. It will negatively impact viewership greatly. A lot of people are watching entirely for Rick alone. They will stop watching if they feel they have nothing to look forward to.

    There's nothing but negatives in AMC officially announcing that their biggest star is leaving their biggest show. 
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited May 29
    I think your confirmation is the lack of a denial as this story is being repeated broadly.

    AMC is a public company (AMCX) so they’d probably be obligated to deny the rumor if it were untrue, though they probably also won’t confirm it.

    Entertainment Weekly is also reporting that they confirmed the story with a source of theirs and that AMC has declined to comment.

    Edit: Us Weekly also reporting they confirmed with multiple sources
    TaraC73jessicat
  • This show has a bright future in front of it.
    iMatty94russkelly
  • If true then end it, there's no point to it without Lincoln. 
    saraej319
  • Amc is apparently making a comment soon 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Gan said:
    Brandon Davis himself is a source from Comicbook.com that is personally saying it is true. Comicbook.com is a fairly reputable news source and that he is saying it  himself, personally adds a lot of legitimacy to the news, but by your own admission you say you won't believe it until AMC confirms it but you have to question why would they mention it? It is AMC's fiduciary duty to NOT mention anything about it for several reasons. 

    1. It's a big spoiler, upsetting fans that didn't want to know that Rick is either leaving the show or dying..
    2. It will negatively impact viewership greatly. A lot of people are watching entirely for Rick alone. They will stop watching if they feel they have nothing to look forward to.

    There's nothing but negatives in AMC officially announcing that their biggest star is leaving their biggest show. 
    I wasn't questioning *why* they were mentioning anything.  I was only saying that when you don't cite your source but only claim that you do have a source, it's not validating your words as true.  If you claim to have a source, you should cite that source.  Just my opinion.  :)
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Right now there's an opening for a revolver-toting lawman on FTWD... ;-)

    Or, maybe on TWD Negan can get out and kill Rick with a single shot: "THAT'S how it's done, smegma breath!"
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    My guess is Danai Gurira isn't going to be too far behind Andrew Lincoln and Lauren Cohan. Can't see her sticking around much longer with a massive movie career in the wings.


    FlukesTaraC73
  • At least he knows when to get off the sinking ship. It's really a shame they wasted good actors the last couple of seasons.
  • DoubleA_RonDoubleA_Ron San Diego
    Burn, baby, burn....
  • On a better show this could have been used as an opportunity to recast & flash forward. But it's Gimple's TWD so it's just a bunch of crap. 
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Looks to be official now. If there was any way to sucker me back into this show, this was it. Hoping I don’t need to catch up, I’m a few seasons back.
  • Well, this should free up a good chunk of salary expense for them to not put back into the show.
    NervousRhinoHnye
  • Looks to be official now. If there was any way to sucker me back into this show, this was it. Hoping I don’t need to catch up, I’m a few seasons back.
    Just listen to the season wrap up casts. 
  • Think of all the B actors they can slaughter now with that extra $$! 
Sign In or Register to comment.