I'm mad about Roseanne

Let me preface this by saying that I think, after Roseanne's latest comments on Twitter, it is correct to cancel this show.  I'm not defending anything Roseanne has said (or will say) and I'm as disgusted as anyone else.  It is good that the network isn't tolerating this severe of a line crossing.

But I'm not happy about it.  I saw this reboot as an opportunity to show someone who was wrong, but with her heart in the right place.  Say what you want about the actress, the character Roseanne always loved her family and was willing to fight for them and that is very redeeming. 

Having Roseanne balanced against Jackie and her own daughter Darlene, I thought it was a chance to show how families can communicate and continue being families despite all the toxic sewage in politics right now.  Even when one person of the family is supporting someone most people heavily disagree with, families can continue to carry forward with love and compassion for one another.

Now the show is canceled, the amazing work by John Goodman, Laurie Metcalf and the rest is just wasted and the opportunity has been pissed away.

Here are the things I really wanted to see more about:

1. Roseanne's burgeoning pill addiction, and the health system in America's failure in preventing it
  2. Dan's efforts to afford a surgery to try and head off his wife's addiction
  3. Mark's journey as a young boy who likes to wear girls' clothing, and the challenges he has to deal with.  The family working out how to help him deal with with it
  4.  Darlene's scraping her way from demeaning waitress (not that being a waitress in demeaning, the job she took to support her kids looks pretty rough) and her gaining a respect for how her parents took every menial job they had to in order to take care of her and her siblings
  5. Becky and Darlene finally understanding each other as adults
  6. Jackie gaining some confidence in being a grown woman who can have her own ideas.  The premier had her and Roseanne not having spoken in 5 months.  I wanted to see her gain some personal power
  7. Dan Finally getting a break
  8. More about DJ!  He was a soldier, he has a mixed race daughter, and his wife is still serving over-seas.  I would have loved to have gotten more about that situation and seeing how he copes as an (essentially) single dad.  Also, its an inversion of the typical army wife story line, so I would have thought there was interesting meat on those bones.
So that is why I'm mad.  I hate seeing the family I grew up with get shut down because of one trashy person's opinions.  Its really unfortunate that she is the star, because I think there was a lot of potential that is now in the garbage heap. I don't see a way it could have been saved, because I don't think you can disentangle Roseanne from Roseanne.  But it sucks and I'm very disappointed.
russkellyDeemajjam0770DummyChiefPizza

Comments

• russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    Why was it cancelled? I thought it was doing well ratings wise.
  • I'm sorry to break it to you.  The actress said something utterly disgusting on Twitter and the show was canceled.  
    russkellyBourbonQueenmajjam0770
  • Turned out she said some racist shit on Twitter. Racists gonna racist 
    BourbonQueen
  • No part of me is defending her attitude or comments, I just think it sucks that she made that choice and destroyed something that had some real potential.
    BourbonQueenmajjam0770
  • russkelly said:
    Why was it cancelled? I thought it was doing well ratings wise.
    Oh it was. It was actually the MOST-WATCHED show on basic Television. And AMC had just renewed it for two new seasons after I think only the first few episodes aired. But Roseanne is a bad person and supports white supremacists and neo-nazis, she kept making foolish comments and after he latest she just pushed it too far.

I think it's pretty commendable that AMC decided to cancel their biggest money maker and the most watched show on tv but it is also very questionable that they hired her in the first place if they knew of her behavior before hand. Anyway, her talent agency also fired her today, good riddance to her I say. 
    majjam0770
  • BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    @russkelly She made a racist Twitter comment against a black woman. 

@gjulleen If her name wasn’t the damn show and was The Conner Family, I’m sure they could have gone on - but she was the center of the show. It would need a full reboot and spin-off to achieve anything like that, and those tend to fail. 

I knew she she was a hot mess that wouldn’t or couldn’t keep her mouth shut and ppl on the right sympathizing this just need to stop. She chose to be this way. They should be directing their anger at her and not ABC. 
    gjulleenDee

• I think it's pretty commendable that AMC decided to cancel their biggest money maker and the most watched show on tv but it is also very questionable that they hired her in the first place if they knew of her behavior before hand. Anyway, her talent agency also fired her today, good riddance to her I say. 
    I said this on the other thread, but I wish the show was "Darlene" and it picked up after Roseanne's passing with Darlene as the center of the story.  They could have left almost everything else exactly the same.  Maybe even have Dan to have been the Trump supporter.  I'm not saying the opinion is right but having him connect with Trump over promises of saving jobs etc. would have made some sense for someone who has spent his entire life barely scraping by.

I think Dan and Darlene always respected each other a lot, so it would have been a really cool lens to see how modern families are dealing with this shit when no one is an actual racist, fascist or monster.  
    majjam0770blacksunrise7
  • @BourbonQueen
    I agree a million percent, I wish they had named it anything else.  I think maybe "Darlene" might have had some traction (she was the one I was interested in when I was a kid), but that chance is smoke now.
    majjam0770
  • The most infuriating thing is that Barr has made *tons* of comments like this, but ABC didn't give a shit until it got too big to ignore. They were perfectly happy having a virulent racist working for them as long as she was making them money, and as long as she wasn't *too* racist, *too* publicly.
    GanBourbonQueenasmallcatDeephoenyx1023majjam0770CretanBull
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    edited May 29
    Jesus. Yeah, she needs to be fired. You know, I despise Roseanne and the reboot is a dumpster fire, but I kept watching basically for the reasons @gjulleen said. It really sucks when horrible trash people are put in charge of good things. Any ideas on how we can get Disney to fire Trump?
    majjam0770ChiefPizza
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I agree. I have a very strong attachment to the original series - I identified with both Becky and Darlene at various times, and my Mum was a toned down version of Roseanne (sadly these days she still is - the racist shit that comes out of her mouth, smh). 

The reboot had so much potential - the story of Roseanne’s pill addiction was so realistic and interesting and then... nothing. Next episode it wasn’t mentioned. The worry of affording an important medical procedure is a very real part of life in the US and I wish it had been explored more. Same with Mark. It is very rare to have a gender-nonconforming character on TV who doesn’t identify as trans. I wanted to know more about that, but again we got one episode and one throwaway comment about him dealing with things at school and that was it. The killing off of unions in the US (and increasingly here in Oz) impacts so many people - I wish we had seen more about that too, but hey, there was a flood and now we get government money, problem solved! 

Just so many lost opportunities to make something groundbreaking again. And what really gets me is that Roseanne (the actress) is very clearly an intelligent person who can see that these issues are nuanced, and yet she spouts such ignorant bullshit. I know she likes attention, but what a way to go about getting it. 
    majjam0770russkellyCretanBull
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I didn't watch, but based on what Bald Movers are saying, it sounds like they were already wasting the opportunity before Roseanne blew it to Kingdom Come.
    CretanBull
  • I was optimistic that some ground work was being laid for future episodes and seasons, and that we would see these issues grow organically.  

Dan was going non-union to get some money to pay for Roseanne's knee surgery, because of the pill popping.  I think we would have seen more about Mark's clothing and the consequences as the show went on.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, and it sounds like some of the actors wouldn't have been willing to come back, but I wish they would have had the character of Roseanne die off screen and focus on the younger generation.

Sort of a more relevant Fuller House.  (I know, the adults didn't die, but they're basically gone).
  • Can I sue her now that she’s ruined a part of my childhood? 
    russkellygjulleenChiefPizza
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    The part I find to really suck is that all the people who depended on her are up shit creek. Your boss is a nut now your unemployed. They cut the reruns on a lot of channels. There goes the checks for that. It’s like when Jerry Garcia died all the behind the scenes people got walking papers.

I liked the new show she was like the new Archie Bunker. She could be a racist pig but she would get hers in the end. Now she really got hers, I guess. She will probably sue and walk away with a huge pay out. While DJ start working a real dry wall job. “I don’t know the contracting biz but I played a guy who did on TV.
    russkellygjulleenGan
  • I really liked the original but I couldn't bring myself to watch it this time around. It's too bad that she ruined it for everyone involved in the show though. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Thats the real tragedy here. Everyone else, cast, crew, directors, everyone else is now looking for a new job. It has to be a gut punch after they were renewed for two more seasons. They were probably really excited to have some job stability. 
    ElisaGan
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited May 30
    So why is what she said any worse than what Colbert says every week on “our cartoon President?”

opps. Sorry I forgot, it’s okay when people shit on Trump and his supporters, never mind.
    nstinson
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited May 30
    seanray said:
    So why is what she said any worse than what Colbert says every week on “our cartoon President?”

opps. Sorry I forgot, it’s okay when people shit on Trump and his supporters, never mind.
    Oh, for god’s sake. There had to be one. If you don’t know the difference by now, then you’re either wilfully ignorant or trolling. 
    ElisaGandarwinfeeshyphoenyx1023asmallcatrusskellybudesignshisdudeness915GondwanalandiaKela15and 2 others.
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    edited May 30
    seanray said:

I'm not sure this merits a response, but here goes.

Many of the things Colbert has said are (in my view) bad or over "the line". While I'm no fan of Trump, I'm not yet ready to give up respecting *the office*, despite the manner in which the man who currently holds it conducts himself.

That said, what Rosanne said was worse. Comparing another human being to an Ape in the way that she did, and with the history of that sort of thing being what it is, is entirely unacceptable. It goes beyond being politically incorrect, edgy, or just rude. It is literally dehumanizing. Beyond that, it's not like this fact is front page news. Everyone knows this; no one is shocked.
    JaimieTElisabudesignsBourbonQueen
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited May 30
    seanray said:

Well, she was racist. So it's less cool to prop up the thing that harms people based on aspects they can't control. As opposed to criticizing people for their choices.

Also, Colbert has been deemed commercially viable. Fundamentally it's not a moral issue.

Soon enough the people who are racist because they don't educate themselves and the people who are racist because they want to be will figure out that this isn't a free speech issue but a funding one. I'm sure we'll get plenty of conservative programming in the future. 

Capitalism doesn't address racism, unfortunately.
    JoshuaHeter
  • seanrayseanray Texas
    edited May 30
    @JaimieT @JoshuaHeter, I can see a point that they canceled it because she said that on Twitter instead of sarcasticly on a show like Colbert did, where on a personal twitter feed, it can be taken as a personal belief instead of sarcasm. But honestly, doesn’t South Park say worst things on a weekly basis? I can name dozens of things racist, sexists, homophobic, etc. South Park has said, but maybe it’s okay because it’s on the show, and doesn’t reflect their personal views?
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    The cancelled the show because of something she said on twitter? That's just stupid. I'm not supporting anything she may have said but when I'm watching a tv show I don't give a shit if the characters are good people in real life or not .
  • seanray said:
    South Park has said, but maybe it’s okay because it’s on the show, and doesn’t reflect their personal views?
    Yeah I think that’s it exactly. South Park is a comedy that aims to offend everyone equally and tries to have a moral lining by the end, as in the racist person(s) involved usually get their comeuppance by the end of the episode. 

I think if Matt or Trey were to post something like that on social media the fallout would be equal these days. 

I do think the racist rant that Dog the bounty hunter went on was way worse though and if I’m not mistaken his show still airs but I guess that’s the sign of different times. Times have changed since even that rant some people just got grandfathered in. 
  • @seanray If you can't tell the difference between Colbert mocking the POTUS and Roseanne calling a black woman an ape, then I don't know what to tell you, bud.
    DeeJaimieTasmallcatphoenyx1023voodooratFlukeshisdudeness915blacksunrise7Kela15MegGryffindorand 2 others.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    She said this gem yesterday morning too:  (This tweet is still up by the way)
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited May 30
    She said this gem yesterday morning too:(This tweet is still up by the way)
    Damn, Roseanne's agent needs to make her delete her twitter ASAP.

This is some hardcore, far-right shit.

This BaldMove comment paid for by Soros Industries (TM)
    Murderbear
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @darwinfeeshy Her management dumped her today too. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited May 30
    @Dee Never have I seen someone's career have a meteoric resurgence quickly followed by a complete implosion.
    DeeChiefPizza