308 - It Reaches Out

Directed By: Ken Fink
Written By: Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 2018
    Fun fact: The draft title for this episode was “The Investigator”. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Alkaid13 said:
    Fun fact: The draft title for this episode was “The Investigator”. 

Ooooooooooh 
  • Unless Amazon wants to screw syfy over and release the episode early I have to wait til tomorrow :/
    Melba is not great at cleaning up the bodies of people she’s murdered. I guess if the ship explodes that might become a bit a null issue though. 
  • Apologies if this has already been posted re: merchandise, but you can find unlicensed clothes/gear for this show at Redbubble.com, though I don’t believe a penny of it goes to the show. Fingers crossed that Amazon pulls some sweet merchandising once they fully take the baton.  
    Godamn Camera man is a plant! He’s very committed to his sabotage though if he’s willing to get blown up. 
    Welp, looks like a slow motion missle heist next week, should be fun. 
  • Whoa. First thought is I’m reminded of Varys’ GOT quote about power. Holden is not the captain. Amos is the captain. Holden is asking Amos for trust, Alex is looking to Amos for permission. 

Love the the flip and burn at the end. Good effect where they slowed it down to emphasize the deceleration. 
    They're gonna need to charge that camera.
  • Anytime they even say the words flip and burn I get all giddy.  Loved the episode.  That damn male reported is creepy as all hell.  I was only able to watch the episode once but did I miss something that Miller said to Holden regarding what they needed to do next???  Can't wait till next episode and now that it's saved I can't wait for many more seasons.  bthibode said:
    Apologies if this has already been posted re: merchandise, but you can find unlicensed clothes/gear for this show at Redbubble.com, though I don’t believe a penny of it goes to the show. Fingers crossed that Amazon pulls some sweet merchandising once they fully take the baton.  
    Some of those shirts on that site are awesome.  I may have to buy a shirt to hold me off until Amazon hopefully puts out some awesome merch.
    JaimieT
    edited May 2018
    That conversation between Amos and Alex is probably one of my favorite conversations on the whole damn show. The camera work really elevated it too. 

Does anyone else think of Alex as space Robert Downey Jr?
    He doesn’t have the same type of charm or smarminess but yeah I can see that. 
    JaimieT
    Alkaid13 said:
    He doesn’t have the same type of charm or smarminess but yeah I can see that. 

It's in the eyes.
    edited May 2018
    Also apparently the reporters are named Monica and Cohen. Now I can stop calling them that fucking traitor reporter guy and that female reporter who’s super dedicated to her job, I’ll still probably use disparaging titles though. 
  • Anytime they even say the words flip and burn I get all giddy.  Loved the episode.  That damn male reported is creepy as all hell.  I was only able to watch the episode once but did I miss something that Miller said to Holden regarding what they needed to do next???  Can't wait till next episode and now that it's saved I can't wait for many more seasons.  bthibode said:
    Apologies if this has already been posted re: merchandise, but you can find unlicensed clothes/gear for this show at Redbubble.com, though I don’t believe a penny of it goes to the show. Fingers crossed that Amazon pulls some sweet merchandising once they fully take the baton.  
    Some of those shirts on that site are awesome.  I may have to buy a shirt to hold me off until Amazon hopefully puts out some awesome merch.
    go into a room too fast kid, and the room eats you...doors and corner, doors and corners
    letrbuck2006MelonuskElisa
    Yeah he was definitely attmepting to convey to Holden how the slow down function of the ring works. It seems like the protomolecule can only speak through Miller using words and phrases that the original human knew and used, it can’t spontaneously create new sentences. 
    JaimieTrkcrawfFlukesDemicalexander.klassenMelonuskElisa
  • The intelligence behind it is what's fascinating. In previous forms, it was malevolent mostly (except in Julie). Now, through Miller, it's helpful. Keeping the Roci from destroying itself in the Ring. Keeping Holden from touching Miller. 

Any thoughts whether Miller's appearance is related to the protomolecule remanent that was left on the ship (even though the rock-hopper ship crossing into The Ring was the trigger)?
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    rkcrawf said:
    The intelligence behind it is what's fascinating. In previous forms, it was malevolent mostly (except in Julie). Now, through Miller, it's helpful. Keeping the Roci from destroying itself in the Ring. Keeping Holden from touching Miller. 

Any thoughts whether Miller's appearance is related to the protomolecule remanent that was left on the ship (even though the rock-hopper ship crossing into The Ring was the trigger)?
    I was wondering the same thing. It's really strange for this show to leave a thread like that dangling for so long.
    edited May 2018
    Alkaid13 said:
    Yeah he was definitely attmepting to convey to Holden how the slow down function of the ring works. It seems like the protomolecule can only speak through Miller using words and phrases that the original human knew and used, it can’t spontaneously create new sentences. 

Which is brilliant. It's communicating through a metaphor, which is what language essentially is... connecting this thing to that thing. (The ST:TNG "Darmok" comes to mind.) This isn't a theory as much as a thought experiment: perhaps the protomolecule doesn't even have a concept of speed, and doesn't quite understand what we humans did wrong, so is telling us "hey, this is complicated, think about it first" in the hopes that we figure out what we did wrong. Miller expressed such a sentiment at one point, and it finds that match and regurgitates the words. Hell, maybe the protomolecule only used Miller's likeness incidentally, and the sentiment match was the priority. You know? Love it.
    Flukes said:
    rkcrawf said:
    The intelligence behind it is what's fascinating. In previous forms, it was malevolent mostly (except in Julie). Now, through Miller, it's helpful. Keeping the Roci from destroying itself in the Ring. Keeping Holden from touching Miller. 

I was wondering the same thing. It's really strange for this show to leave a thread like that dangling for so long.

Weren't those two things directly correlated this episode? I'm 99% certain they were, with one shot right after the other. So yes, I think the show is implying causation.
    Melonusk
  • JaimieT said:
    Flukes said:
    rkcrawf said:

Weren't those two things directly correlated this episode? I'm 99% certain they were, with one shot right after the other. So yes, I think the show is implying causation.
    I second this.  I took them showing the leftover protomolecule on the ship and Miller as a link between the two.  Obviously none of this is proven but I think it is a fair assumption.
    Elisa
  • JaimieT said:
    Flukes said:
    rkcrawf said:

I second this.  I took them showing the leftover protomolecule on the ship and Miller as a link between the two.  Obviously none of this is proven but I think it is a fair assumption.
    I need to rewatch...When did they come back to the leftover protomolecule? If they cut to that and mentioned it in the previously on (which I don't watch), I clearly missed it.
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    Flukes said:
    rkcrawf said:

I need to rewatch...When did they come back to the leftover protomolecule? If they cut to that and mentioned it in the previously on (which I don't watch), I clearly missed it.

I don't watch previously on's either.

But yeah, 99% sure they cut to the leftover protomolecule, and the 1% reservation is just the general uncertainty I feel about all life. Do I even exist? 
  • JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    Flukes said:
    rkcrawf said:

But yeah, 99% sure they cut to the leftover protomolecule, and the 1% reservation is just the general uncertainty I feel about all life. Do I even exist? 
    Nope. You're in the Forumworld Cr4-DLE.
    JaimieT
  • edited May 2018
    JaimieT said:
    rkcrawf said:
    JaimieT said:
    Flukes said:
    rkcrawf said:

I've been talking to a computer this whole time???  You definitely pass the Turing test with flying colors....  On a more serious note, they 100% show a brief scene of the leftover protomolecule.  
    JaimieTrkcrawfElisa
    Yeah they absolutely have a brief cutaway to the proto-amoeba as I’m calling it. 
    JaimieTrkcrawf
    I think using context from the overal show as well as previous sci-fi experience we can begin to put together the how and why of what’s happening with the protomolecule. As presented in episode it needs two things: someone to find and relay answers and someone to guide and transport the former. First it needs someone to find answers so using it's assimilated knowledge it determines that Miller, a former detective, is the best fit, then using the piece it has on the Roci it connects Miller with someone it knows he had contact with previously, aka Holden, who it also knows via Miller’s memories to be the captain of a ship. 
    The_Third_ManrkcrawfMelonuskElisa
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I think using context from the overal show as well as previous sci-fi experience we can begin to put together the how and why of what’s happening with the protomolecule. As presented in episode it needs two things: someone to find and relay answers and someone to guide and transport the former. First it needs someone to find answers so using it's assimilated knowledge it determines that Miller, a former detective, is the best fit, then using the piece it has on the Roci it connects Miller with someone it knows he had contact with previously, aka Holden, who it also knows via Miller’s memories to be the captain of a ship. 

I think proto-Miller even says something close to that, right? We're all tools...I'm a tool that finds things and you're a tool that goes places (paraphrasing obviously). So I think you nailed it.
    rkcrawfElisa
  • edited May 2018

Happens at 38:27

JaimieTrkcrawfFlukes
  • Man, I completely forgot about how bummed I was by the last episode. This one was fantastic. I care way more about this than political maneuvering right now. I had no idea we were fucking with The Ring this early and with our crew, nonetheless. 

The whole control room sequence between Drummer, Naomi, and Ashford was so well acted that I just sat up on the couch and nearly jumped up when she said fire. 

Everybody was right in that moment, and that’s how you conflict. 
    JaimieTFlukesElisa