Season 5 Change from the books [SPOILERS]

ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
edited March 2015 in Game of Thrones

As per a lengthy Entertainment Weekly article, it has been confirmed that the Kingsmoot plotline (and the Iron Islands location) has been completely cut from the coming season.  Thoughts on this?

Comments

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited March 2015
    I liked the part of middle age history GRRM explores with the Ironborn/Kingsmoot, like rudimentary politics of  a small rebellious Anglo Saxon or Viking  type society.I'd enjoy seeing it on screen with a GOT budget.

That said it's not central to the show which is already juggling a monumental amount of plots & characters, I doubt i'll be disappointed at the end of this season without it, so whatever.
  • This was definitely my least favorite plot line in A Feast for Crows, so I'm all for cutting it.  I'd much rather have the show focus on more interesting characters like Arya, Danaerys, and even Cercei.  They all have awesome arcs that will take a good amount of ground work to be completely satisfying.  I'm less happy about having no Lady Stoneheart.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Amen with the Lady Stoneheart. They like teasing book readers with the possibility of that still occuring. I was damn-near crushed when it didn't happen at the end of last season. That was about the only negative thing I could say about an amazing season that deserved at least the Golden Globe, if not the Emmy also (The Affair was crap, sorry)
  • According to Elio and Linda they are also leaving Aegon completely out of the show as well as killing Mance for real.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    They are changing alot of things which is to be expected including Cersei's and Varys' motives and background information.  I am fine with it because for me the TV and books are two parallel universes.
  • I posted the link to the Elio & Linda video in the tinfoil thread a few days ago.
    Finished that article, no Lady Stoneheart they say...
  • KenzieKenzie Sanger, Tx
    I never really liked/cared for the Greyjoys and everything that happens on the Iron Islands. The only one I care about is Theon, although I guess I'm kind of interested in what happens with Asha.
    The Kingsmoot storyline was boring as hell. Fell asleep multiple times during those chapters while listening to the audio books. Don't care what happens to any of those characters. And the whole idea that there was this whole society of viking/pirate characters who distained gold and talked about this 'iron price' was a whole lot cooler than it turned out to be.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I totally loved Feast but I understand the need to edit and Dorne is way more sexy for HBO. I am so eager to see what will transpire this season including all the spoilers. Bring it!
    @Elisa It should be interesting seeing Jaime go to Dorne instead. They've changed enough to keep me on my toes.
    Elisa
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Kenzie said:

I never really liked/cared for the Greyjoys and everything that happens on the Iron Islands. The only one I care about is Theon, although I guess I'm kind of interested in what happens with Asha.
    The Kingsmoot storyline was boring as hell. Fell asleep multiple times during those chapters while listening to the audio books. Don't care what happens to any of those characters. And the whole idea that there was this whole society of viking/pirate characters who distained gold and talked about this 'iron price' was a whole lot cooler than it turned out to be.

Same here. It makes no sense that Robert, Ned and others would have allowed them to exist as they do. If they don't pay the gold price what have they been doing since bending the knee? Seems like either they're pirating in secret (which seems impossible) or they've moved on to other things. The islanders would have softened. On the show I got the feeling that Balon had been sitting in that chair stewing for 15 years or however long it was, waiting for a plot development to get him out.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I personally love the Greyjoys...Asha was one of my faves, ofc Theon's redemption, Victarion the idiot, Aeron the zealot, and Euron the psycho crazy evil persona who just might be a failed pupil of BloodRaven.  That said never liked Balon but I was fascinated by this family, culture, and religion.  C'mon The Deep Ones totally make sense.  

That said, the show already has way to many people/families/tribes/bloodlines/cultures so I am not that upset with the choice to cut them out.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'm deeply skeptical of them omitting LSH.  I won't believe it until we make it through the season without seeing her.  I've said on the podcasts enough that I don't particularly care if we see the Kingsmoot, as I am not a big Iron Islander fan.  I think Victarion is cool enough, but so far his plot seems fairly insignificant.  There is no way he ends up being one of Dany's husbands, the way I see it, and other than Theon I don't see a lot of the II's figuring into the plot.

Kinda curious what they're going to do with Jamie by merging his plot with the Arys Oakheart / Balon Swann plotlines.  Very curious what they end up doing with Brienne...
    ElisaBrett
  • I don't care about the Greyjoys but I really want to see Euron and his crew.