What’s everyone reading at the moment?

DeeDee Adelaide
We haven’t had a book discussion for a while. I have just started reading The Outsider by Stephen King. It’s pretty good so far, though I’m not that far in yet. 

I wanted to try to read more non-fiction this year - I say this every year, and I collect a ton of them, but then I end up just ploughing through dozens of brainless but page-turning thrillers and crime novels. I do plan to read Michelle McNamara’s book when I finish the King one, as my friend has it too and wants us to read it together. Maybe I need a mini book club for all my non-fictions to motivate me! 

Whats everyone else reading? What’s it about? Do you recommend it?
russkellyMsAnne

Comments

• seanrayseanray Texas
    edited June 3
    Listening to Stephen King’s “the Stand” on audiobook. Some parts I like, others I’m wondering what’s the point and wishing he’d get the fuck on with it. This is my 3rd King Novel, I’ve read “the Shining” and also “IT”
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Foundation and Empire: Classic of science fiction, second in the series. my first time reading it.  About halfway through and it's kinda just ok after I reread the first one and thought it also was fine but not super monumental.  Time may have moved on for Asimov for me, I'll have to reread The Caves of Steel which I remember really liking when I was much younger and see what I think about it.  Also makes me curious to reread the Heinlein books I liked as a teen like Starship Troopers The Puppet Masters and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
    Dee
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    A World Undone: The Story Of The Great War by G. J. Meyer
    Dee
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    I'm currently reading I'll Be Gone In The Dark, about the search for the Golden State Killer.

It's terrifying, as they go into horrible crimes this man committed over 3 decades. 
    It's also unique in that the author (the wife of actor Patten Oswald) passed away before the book was finished, so it was completed by two other people from her notes.  While I'm very glad her work was completed, and think the book is very good (and that they just recently caught the guy!!!!!!  :) ), the narrative kind of jumps from time period to time period, and there were so many victims, over such a long period of time, that I think it would flow better if the story was told in a bit more linear fashion.  Having said that, I can hardly put this book down!
    Deeamhatch
  • MrXMrX CO
    Been slowly making my way through "Oathbringer," the 3rd book in Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archives series. Enjoying it, but not finding myself as motivated to burn through it as I was with the previous volumes. 
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    seanray said:
    Listening to Stephen King’s “the Stand” on audiobook. Some parts I like, others I’m wondering what’s the point and wishing he’d get the fuck on with it. This is my 3rd King Novel, I’ve read “the Shining” and also “IT”
    I’ve never been a huge fan of The Stand - I know it’s a lot of people’s favourite King novel but I find it way too rambly, even for him. I do like The Shining, though I haven’t read it in years, and It is one of my favourite novels ever - I read it every couple of years. But yeah, he does go on. 
    seanray
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I'm currently reading I'll Be Gone In The Dark, about the search for the Golden State Killer.

It's terrifying, as they go into horrible crimes this man committed over 3 decades. 
    It's also unique in that the author (the wife of actor Patten Oswald) passed away before the book was finished, so it was completed by two other people from her notes.  While I'm very glad her work was completed, and think the book is very good (and that they just recently caught the guy!!!!!!  :) ), the narrative kind of jumps from time period to time period, and there were so many victims, over such a long period of time, that I think it would flow better if the story was told in a bit more linear fashion.  Having said that, I can hardly put this book down!
    Yeah, that’s the one I’ve got to read next with my friend. I don’t normally like true crime things, but I’ve heard so many good things about this one. 
    April_May_June
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I'm about to start the final chapter of my first audio book, The Martian. I loved the movie, and it always comes up as a recommendation.

It's been an excellent experience so far, but I have that sad feeling because it's about to end.

I have one more credit to use and I have zero idea which direction to go.
    DeeDrCynPiz
    edited June 3
    Dee said:

Yeah, that’s the one I’ve got to read next with my friend. I don’t normally like true crime things, but I’ve heard so many good things about this one. 
    I'm a *huge* True Crime fan, and I'll be honest, as good as it is, it's rough, as The Golden State Killer was especially horrible.  

And @seanray and @Dee ; - Stephen King is one of my favorite authors.  I've read a ton of his books.  My favorites are the Dark Tower series, and 11.22.63.  Misery was the first book of his that i ever read, so i'll alway have a special affinity for that one too.  I read The Stand, and I agree with both of you - it's ok, but it's waaay down on my list of his books. 

• DeeDee Adelaide
    @April_May_June I think my first King book was Salem’s Lot - I remember my aunt had a few and when I was bored at her house I would raid her bookshelf. I was probably about 12 or 13 and I was hooked instantly. I did give up reading his books for about ten years because he went through a period where they were pretty bad (Dreamcatcher, Gerald’s Game etc), but from about Revival on I’ve been back in. Weirdly, I’ve never read The Dark Tower series - it’s always seemed a bit too sci fi for my taste. 
  • The Churn
    The Terror
    Caliban's War
    The Clown-Forest Murders
    DeeApril_May_JuneAlkaid13Melonusk
    Dee said:
    @April_May_June I think my first King book was Salem’s Lot - I remember my aunt had a few and when I was bored at her house I would raid her bookshelf. I was probably about 12 or 13 and I was hooked instantly. I did give up reading his books for about ten years because he went through a period where they were pretty bad (Dreamcatcher, Gerald’s Game etc), but from about Revival on I’ve been back in. Weirdly, I’ve never read The Dark Tower series - it’s always seemed a bit too sci fi for my taste. 
    Haha - that's how old I was when I read Misery!  As soon as I was done I rode my bike to the library and checked out as many Stephan King books as I could, lol.

One thing I thought was cool about his 'meh period' was that he would kind of tie his books together.  Like there's a part in Gerald's Game where the main character 'sees' the character in Delores Clayborne, and in Dolores Clayborne, the girl 'sees' the woman from Gerald's Game.  It's only briefly mentioned, like a paragraph in each book, and it's never explained or mentioned again, but it's definetly there and on purpose.

I haven't read Mr. Mercedes yet, but a friend of mine keeps telling me it's really good, so I'll probably read that next.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @April_May_June Oh, he’s always done that. There’s a passing reference to Cujo in one of his other books (Needful Things, maybe?), for example. I like that about him - a lot of his books take place within the same universe. 

I liked the Mr Mercedes trilogy a lot. I was disappointed by the TV series, though - good actors, but very flat. I had the same problem with the TV version of 11.22.63.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I've really liked Steinbeck in the last few years and have been working my way through his novels. Currently I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath. It's slow going since lately I've been needing mindless entertainment and reading is so mindful.
    DeeApril_May_Junetom_gDaveyMac
    As much as I love SK's books, they unfortunately don't seem to translate to film (tv or movies) very well.  Don't even get me started on the travesty and heartbreak the recent Dark Tower movie was.  They had *so much* amazing material to work from, and the movie barely scratched the surface of any of it. 

I think Carrie, The Shining, and Misery are the only movies they made that I think measured up to his books.  I do think HULU did a pretty ok job when they made 11.22.63 a series, but the book is SO GOOD!  As good as the show was, they left a lot of story and context from the book out (which I can totally understand, considering how much story and context he puts into his books, lol).  If you enjoyed the series, you will love the book!

I know he's created a universe in his books, and that the town of Castle Rock appears often, and sometimes characters mentioned in one book will show up in another, but the Gerald's Game/Delores Cayborne thing seemed different than his usual world building.  There seemed to be sort of supernatural connection (there was also a solar eclipe involved), but again, all of that was only alluded to.  It was also the first time I noticed it. (Cujo was one of those books I checked out of the library as a kid, and I've read Needful Things but don't remember how old I was, so I must have missed the connections.)

It's so nice to chat with a fellow SK fan!  I will definitely check out Mr. Mercedes when I'm done with I'll Be Gone In The Dark!  And I'm curious to see what your thoughts of I'll Be Gone In The Dark are when you're done.   :)
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    JaimieT said:
    I've really liked Steinbeck in the last few years and have been working my way through his novels. Currently I'm reading The Grapes of Wrath. It's slow going since lately I've been needing mindless entertainment and reading is so mindful.
    I read a bunch of Steinbeck in high school English and Lit classes - The Grapes Of Wrath, Of Mice And Men, Cannery Row, some others. I remember liking them at the time, but I’ve not read any since. I should go back to them sometime. 
    JaimieTDaveyMac
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @April_May_June I have read 11.22.63 - except for a bit of a lull in the middle it was really good. I think his film/TV adaptations are very hit and miss. Stand By me is great, so is Misery and Shawshank Redemption. I thought for a while that it was his non-horrors that seemed to translate more successfully, but then 11.22.63 isn’t horror, and It is horror and did gangbusters last year. 

I would like to do a re-read of all the SK books I haven’t read in a couple of decades - his early 1970s/80s ones. Those were my go to once I was too old for Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown, lol. 
    April_May_June
  • jrthebutlerjrthebutler Denton, TX
    Just finished The Outsider tonight.  Loved it!
    April_May_JuneDee
    JaimieT said:
    I've read Of Mice and Men, but that's the only Steinbeck book I've read. 

There's a whole list of classics that are on the list of 'must reads' that I unfortunately haven't.
    I decided in my early 20s to remedy that, and started with The Scarlet Letter.  That was a poor choice, because I just couldn't get past the 'old style English' it was written in, so gave up after the first chapter or so.  I'm embarrassed to say that I never went back to that list, but I think I might try again, just not The Scarlet Letter, lol.
    JaimieT
    edited June 3
    rkcrawf said:
    The Churn
    The Terror
    Caliban's War
    The Clown-Forest Murders
    Just checked out the list you mentioned.
    The Churn and The Clown-Forest Murders both sound like they'd be right up my ally - I will add them to the list of books I want to read - Thanks for the recommendations!   :)

And @jrthebutler - that's a SK novel I haven't read yet - will be adding that one to my list too!   :)
    rkcrawf
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I just finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn, a good thriller that took a few unexpected turns, but nothing spectacular. I think HBO are making a series of it with Amy Adams soon?

Add me to the fan club for I'll Be Gone In The Dark, I read it about a month ago and still think about it often, unfortunately late at night when I'm in bed home alone!

Haven't decided what to read next yet, my biggest problem is always committing to choosing something!
    majjam0770Deeamhatch
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited June 3
    My daughter and I read together every night for 30 min. We just finished "A Wrinkle In Time" and we are about halfway through with "The Secret Garden." Perfect story for an 8-year-old girl, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit. 

For myself, I just finished The Terror, because I watched the show. And now I'm reading "Sapiens" and loving it. 
    DeeMichelle
  • Just finished book one of the expanse series, about to start book two. This third season of the TV show really motivated me to read the books. The first season was just okay to me, but I thought the first book was pretty good. Some stuff was a little boring since I had already seen it on the show, but I'm looking forward to the later books. 
    DeeFlukes
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Catching up on the Expanse, just finished Leviathan Wakes so moving on to Caliban’s War. Also finished the novellas The Churn, Butcher of Anderson Station, and Drive. 
    Dee
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    There are some interesting differences between book and show. 
    Flukes
  • A Feast For Crows
    DeeKingKobraamhatch
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    edited June 3
    Dee said:
    @April_May_June I have read 11.22.63 - except for a bit of a lull in the middle it was really good. I think his film/TV adaptations are very hit and miss. Stand By me is great, so is Misery and Shawshank Redemption. I thought for a while that it was his non-horrors that seemed to translate more successfully, but then 11.22.63 isn’t horror, and It is horror and did gangbusters last year. 

I would like to do a re-read of all the SK books I haven’t read in a couple of decades - his early 1970s/80s ones. Those were my go to once I was too old for Nancy Drew and Encyclopedia Brown, lol. 
    Christine was an ok film for the state of horror movies in the early 80s. 

As a sort of related note to the Stand By Me movie, the train that almost runs them over on the bridge is still around, the engine now pulls tourism trains on the Oregon Coast Scenic Railroad.

https://oregoncoastscenic.org/mccloud-river-railroad-25/
  • emnofseattleemnofseattle Mason County, Washington USA
    seanray said:
    I've tried reading Stephen King off an on, and I've come to the conclusion he's an author who's entire body of literary work is better on the silver screen then the pages. He comes up with great ideas but the books don't really work well to tell the story. 

I bought Desperation several years ago and like a third the way through it I had to stop, it was terrible but I feel a professional movie crew could've made a decent screenplay. 
    seanray
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.