The Walking Dead Comics (SPOILERS)

So I've been wanting to start a TWD comics thread because a) I wanted to start talking about the newest issues b) there have been some requests on these forums for J&A to do a TWD podcast (but Jim doesn't read this) and c) there have been complaints about dropping comics spoilers on the proper TV threads.

So I figure I'll get the ball rolling with a general TWD comics thread with the main purpose of discussing the new issues and if we need a separate thread for TV/comics comparisons, then we can just start that up as well.

Now on to issue #139 (Spoilers ahead!!):

What did you think of Michonne and Ezekiel's return to the story? And what do you think of Carl's meet up with the Whisperers? Could we be possibly witnessing a defection? Given the boy's hormones, emotional attachment to Lydia and his own insecurity about his appearance, it wouldn't surprise me.

ksa1001

Comments

• I better catch up. The last one I read was 133. Once I catch up I'll come back and play.
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    I enjoyed #139, it moved some plot points forward (Michonne/Ezekial) and opened up the possibility of a new world/trade route with ocean travel. Not sure what to make of Carl/Lydia and the Whisperers yet. But it would appear Michonne/Ezekial could rekindle once Michonne gets over her past.
  • I'm a hardcover collector so I'm always like 12 issues or more behind. But happy to talk about the current TV storyline and the comic equivalent. So who do we think dies(reg or deeana) and who kills them(Pete or Rick). If I rmeber correctly Rick kills deanna in the comic
  • John_NadaJohn_Nada California
    @Hatorian the comic counterpart to Deanna was killed by walkers I think. As far as my predictions sadly I am a member of spoiling the dead website so I must decline to state.
    @AntManBee I was wanting a comic forum thanks. 139 was great. Rick's advice to Michonne was spot on. It was good to see Ezekiel as well. Carl's appearance with the Whisperers has me wanting more. I can't wait to see what is going to happen!
  • what is spoiling the dead website? and what does that mean?
    edited March 2015
    @Hatorian it is a spoilers website and full episode spoiler are posted before the show airs. They have been VERY accurate.
    TaraC73Hatorian
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    <3 spoiling the dead!!!! I haven't visited in a long time but was spoiled (in a good way) about Merle's death. If you dig spoilers, that's a great site :)
    John_Nada
  • John_Nada said:

@Hatorian it is a spoilers website and full episode spoiler are posted before the show airs. They have been VERY accurate.

Then I appreciate the lack of spoilers. Thanks for looking out dude!
    TaraC73John_Nada
  • Im thinking of getting the comics, but unsure if I should start with the compendiums 1 and 2  instead of the individual. Also is their a compendium 3 our?  What number are we up to in the comics?
  • I don't have the compendiums, but the trade issue soft covers are up to #22 with #23 coming out soon. The single issues are up to #139 with #140 coming out two Wednesdays from now.

I haven't heard about compendium #3, but I believe there are 8 trade issues for each one. If that's case, then the first two have the first 16 trade issues, so we would have to wait for trade issue #24 to come out which won't happen until later this year. So I wouldn't expect compendium #3 until very late in 2015 at the earliest.
  • brewseveltbrewsevelt Boston, MA
    There is an FAQ on the TWD subreddit which has a few ways to get caught up:

AntManBee
  • edited March 2015
    I thought the Season 5 finale did an interesting job in adapting the material from #13 Too Far Gone. If Gimple & Co. are going to keep down this road of sticking relatively close to the Alexandria arc, then we should expect a confrontation with The Scavengers sometime early in Season 6 as they start adapting material from #14 No Way Out. Then the big herd attack happens where Douglas/Deanna die and shoot out Carl's right eye. I doubt Kirkman and AMC have the gonads to do this to Chandler Riggs' face, but we'll see.

Another interesting thing to see how it will play out is Jessie's death. At one point in the herd attack, her kid get bitten and then she gets swarmed by walkers as she desperately holds on to Carl's arm. That's when Rick hacks off her hand at the wrist. I wonder how far they'll go with that. Those are two very dramatic, yet awfully dark moments in the comic story. It would be a shame to lose Alexandra Breckenridge this early. I've quite liked her portrayal of Jessie.

One thing that puzzles me about the show is the absence of Heath and Denise Cloyd. They're very likable characters in the comic. Plus Denise is also a doctor.
    Underwood
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA
    Any thoughts on when Negan will actually show up on the show? I've been planning to reread No Way Out - Something to Fear and realized there are two volumes in between, including a lot of rebuilding and Hilltop stuff. I'm guessing Negan won't be introduced until the S6 finale at the earliest.
  • Mr. Blahg and Grace were talking about this on the comic talk section of Walking Dead Cast. I believe they speculated the end of S6 as well. They have to do the No Way Out stuff, then get us to the hilltop and the Kingdom with Ezekiel, then introduce us to Jesus (if Morgan isn't remixed into this as A. Ron wants).

I honestly can't see them waiting until S7 to introduce him.

I'm also warming up to the idea of casting Jon Hamm for this.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Have you all seen the leaks today?  I'm assuming it's April fool's crap until/unless I see it confirmed tomorrow, but what I'm seeing is Jason Moma for Negan and him showing up as early as episode 6 of season 6.  I never thought of Moma as Negan, but -- again, assuming this isn't fucking April Fool's bullshit -- I think that would be an inspired choice.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I was more excited about Stephen king penning an episode - which I read and got too excited about before realizing the date so it *could* be fake.
  • Nah. It's all total buuuuuuullshit.
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

I'm betting they're going to do their best to keep Negan's casting a secret for as long as possible. Which is another reason it would make sense to save him for the S6 finale. If he's spotted filming, that's a pretty major spoiler. They could hide him for one episode, if need be, but probably not much beyond that.

I would so love Jon Hamm in that role, but I never took the idea seriously because I couldn't see AMC wanting one of their few iconic characters to do another one of their shows and sort of dilute the Mad Men brand. But I don't know, maybe they'd love it, too.

edited April 2015
    David Morrissey is proof that AMC can go well outside of the box with the looks of the character.  Getting the looks close to the comic versions do not necessarily seem to be the first priority with some characters.  It then boils down to the ability of the actor to bring the writers version to life on the screen. 

TV Negan will be written differently so I am not sure I am even looking at the right actors who would be perfect in that role.   
    Hatorian
  • John_Nada said:

David Morrissey is proof that AMC can go well outside of the box with the looks of the character.  Getting the looks close to the comic versions do not necessarily seem to be the first priority with some characters.  It then boils down to the ability of the actor to bring the writers version to life on the screen. 

TV Negan will be written differently so I am not sure I am even looking at the right actors who would be perfect in that role.   
    agree that the look doesn't need to be perfect or even that close. But I also side with the Bald Crew that Vinnie Jones is a solid choice. Kevin Durand would be my second. 
    John_Nada
    John_Nada said:

agree that the look doesn't need to be perfect or even that close. But I also side with the Bald Crew that Vinnie Jones is a solid choice. Kevin Durand would be my second. 

@Hatorian I still want to see the inspiration play Negan but that would be a pipe dream I am afraid. 

HatorianAntManBee
  • I got nothing against Henry Rollins and he is a good TV host and musician but I'm not sold on him as a full blown actor. that clip doesn't instill any faith either. I know walking dead ain't emmy winning acting but that's some b grade stuff.
    John_Nada
  • Issue #140 came out yesterday. Some more good stuff. One thing happens that I think was slightly BS, but I'd like to wait until others get to read. This brings me to the realization that I'm trying not to spoil people in an official "Spoilers" thread. But there's a distinction between TWD and GOT. TWD has new material every 2 to 4 weeks, whereas Dance with Dragons came out in 2011. So I'll try to keep calm and remain vague when these come out.

One thing I'd like to say in relation to the show is I disagree with the notion of remixing Morgan into Jesus. Jesus is one of my favorite characters in the books, so I'd prefer that they keep that character separate. One remix I wouldn't mind is casting a black actor as Jesus like they did with Bob, but he needs to be Jesus. Plus, the Morgan remix would also eliminate another gay character and that would also be disappointing.
    John_Nada
    Hatorian said:

I got nothing against Henry Rollins and he is a good TV host and musician but I'm not sold on him as a full blown actor. that clip doesn't instill any faith either. I know walking dead ain't emmy winning acting but that's some b grade stuff.

Yes it is not the best but I think he could still pull it off.  Anyway I am just an old punker so I like to see familiar faces. 
    edited April 2015
    @AntManBee I do not want to talk around anything but are you referring to the ending or the investigation or maybe something completely different?  I know you wanted to give people time but the topic does warn Spoilers and I too want to respect you, the person who started the thread. 
    AntManBee said:

One thing I'd like to say in relation to the show is I disagree with the notion of remixing Morgan into Jesus. Jesus is one of my favorite characters in the books, so I'd prefer that they keep that character separate. One remix I wouldn't mind is casting a black actor as Jesus like they did with Bob, but he needs to be Jesus. Plus, the Morgan remix would also eliminate another gay character and that would also be disappointing.

I really hope Morgan is not a Kirkman remix of CB Jesus.  You're right that would be extremely disappointing to me.  Jesus is such a dynamic character and Morgan has a storyline to his own.     
    AntManBee
  • @John_Nada I was alluding to right at the end.

That's the thing. I do want to give people time to read the new issue. I've gotten into a habit of reading these just as they drop on Wednesday morning. Then I want to immediately talk about it. I see what you're saying though. It is a spoilers thread.

With that said, SPOILER ahead:

I'm not sure I buy the idea of letting Olivia lock the jail door. I think Kirkman could've done that better. In that situation, I would imagine everyone having specific roles. The two guys pointing the guns, Olivia on grooming duties, and Andrea supervising (also armed). As supervisor, Andrea should always be locking that cage. I wished he could have written it as Andrea messing that up or Negan finding a way to compromise the lock. Anyway, it was a disappointing way to reveal a very interesting plot development.

I also really like the counterpoint of discussing what to do with Gregory at the Hilltop and finally deciding on execution. Also, this slow reveal of how the whisperers live is fantastic. It's super creepy and it's great to tell their story through Carl's perspective.
    John_Nada
    edited April 2015
    @AntManBee you are hitting on all points.  I was pretty sure you were talking about the cell not being locked properly leading us to our next cover on 141.  I will tell you I would not have guessed this was the reason I was looking at clean Negan and an open cell.

That Whisper revel was epic!!!!!  The scene was massive.  Carl has got to be thinking WTF and in total shock!  I was not picturing anything like that.

The discussion at the Hilltop and what to do with Gregory from beginning to the end was great storytelling.  The differences between Gregory and Negans situation and the total thought process.

Damn I have to wait till May for another issue!       
    AntManBee
This discussion has been closed.