Fear has gotten really really bad

S4 started out strong but has gotten progressively bad and more TWD like. The latest episode was nearly unwatchable.

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Quelle surprise. Gimple gimpling all over it, no doubt. 
    hisdudeness915hitmyvoodooratamhatchFlukes
  • I disagree that it started out strong. Episode one can be tolerated because it was Morgan crossing over and had little to do with Fear, but episode two was already something entirely different than Fear used to be. As much as I tried to find something enjoyable in it, it just looked like the same TWD crap from the beginning. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Scott Gimple, destroyer of shows. How long until he kills off the main characters on this show too?
    The decision to move him over to Fear really just belies how little AMC gives a shit about this franchise, like they have one decent zombie show and what do they do? They take the man who’s only notable achievement is running TWD vanilla into the ground and move him over to fear to similarly do a hack job because any sort of competence on these show is anathema to their business model it seems. Like the only reason I can think of for replacing a good showrunner with an abjectly terrible one is that it’s more worth it to the execs to have a yes man running the show than for the show to be good. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Alkaid13 said:
    Scott Gimple, destroyer of shows. How long until he kills off the main characters on this show too?
    He already did!!! He fucking killed Nick!!!
  • Yeah, killing Nick was super dumb.

And then we have a classic "one camp vs another camp" thing going on later in the season. With a bunch of people being fucking super dumb and irrational.
    edited June 7
    Oh man he’s already at it?! Welp rip Fear, next season we’ll hear about how blond hair mom and knock off Idris Elba are only doing 6 more episodes and then they’re out!
    hitmyTaraC73
    Are there any trash people equivalents yet? That’s how you know it’s the end times. 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I watch this show with my sister every week and she’s hardcore loving the show. She binged the entire show to catch up and start this season with me. WELL even she was like I am kind of confused and don’t like this season.  UGH it was so good up til now! Morgalizing carried over and everything. But you know what I hate the most this season besides nick dying!? Al the swat truck driver. Omg her voice goes through my head and I can’t stand her! She was stupid on Lost and she’s more stupid in this!
  • Man, people sure were just waiting for a quality drop to get the knives out. Although it's not like I can blame you considering all we've been through with TWD. Still, I feel like I should clear up a few things:

- Again, Gimple is *not* the showrunner - he's an executive producer, and it's unclear exactly how much of a role he has. The actual showrunners are Andrew Chambliss and Ian Goldberg, taking over from Dave Erickson, who ran it for the first three seasons. While it's tempting to paint Gimple as this corrosive force who ruins any show he touches, eight years of behind-the-scenes bullshit with The Walking Dead should have made it clear that Gimple is a symptom of the problem, not the cause.

- I maintain the first few episodes of this season, plus the John Dorie/Laura spotlight a few weeks back, were legitimately very good, and had me excited for where this show was going. If I were optimistic I'd say the fact that those episodes were good shows that this is just a shaky transition with the new showrunners coming in and we'll get past it and on to better things. Unfortunately, what's more likely is that Fear has now hit the point The Walking Dead was at a few years ago - for each 8-episode stretch, a few are great, a few are okay, a few are bad: inconsistency across the board. This does not bode well for the future, considering The Walking Dead wasn't even able to maintain *that* level of quality, and instead just kept getting worse and worse. There's still a chance that things could turn around, but I'm not holding out hope at this point.

- Having said that, one thing you definitely can't pin on Gimple, or even on Chambliss and Goldberg, is Nick's death. It wasn't some dumb blunder they made - Frank Dillane asked to be written out, as confirmed in multiple interviews. In fact, everyone involved has been shockingly open and transparent about the whole thing, considering we've had radio silence from both the cast and AMC with regards to the recent TWD cast departures.

Anyway, with the main cast of The Walking Dead finally getting the message and fleeing the sinking ship, I doubt we'll even have a "franchise" to argue about for much longer. It's a shame - Fear really was good for a while there - but you can't say the AMC execs aren't getting what they deserve, at long last.
    KingKobra
  • I watched the first 3 seasons of FTWD and after watching episode 1 of S4, I quit. The combo of Gimple and essentially rebooting the show was enough. 
  • Them ain't us. We ain't them! Good ain't this. This ain't good! 

/Shakes head
    jtmy92
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Man, people sure were just waiting for a quality drop to get the knives out. [...]

- I maintain the first few episodes of this season, plus the John Dorie/Laura spotlight a few weeks back, were legitimately very good, and had me excited for where this show was going. If I were optimistic I'd say the fact that those episodes were good shows that this is just a shaky transition with the new showrunners coming in and we'll get past it and on to better things. Unfortunately, what's more likely is that Fear has now hit the point The Walking Dead was at a few years ago - for each 8-episode stretch, a few are great, a few are okay, a few are bad: inconsistency across the board.
    I far prefer s2-3 of FTWD to this new season, but I too don't see what all the schadenfreude is about.  If Westworld is having trouble making convincing battle scenes, why expect tiny budget FTWD to pull them off?  FTWD's problems this season have mostly been of execution, not the plot.  The Vultures are interesting villains whose only passing resemblance to the Saviors is they both want your stuff.  "Zombies get out or get let out" is a basic rule of the zombie genre so those stockpiled zombies weren't going to stay that way.  Since WD universe zombies are not stopped by fire, sending flaming zombies toward the wood-fortified stadium is a reasonable tactic.

My hope is that the show isn't going to be inconsistent; the multiple timelines nonsense should stop soon and we'll just have the present once they find/save Madison, save Dorie, and all become grudging allies again.  Other people seem to like the larger than life characters, each with their specific character quirks and special weapon, so that may give this new version of the show enough breathing room to find its footing.

• yeah, I guess I'll just have to warmly remember season 3 of Fear, and write the whole universe off. Such a tragedy.
  • amhatchamhatch Wisco
    I think it's been okay. Way over Tank Girl and her unlimited supply of fuel and ability to keep a fucking camcorder charged. I think the Dorie/Laura story is cute but I am so distracted by the fact that TWD/FTWD employs more than one Scientologist and all I've read/heard about the ignorant shite Jenna Elfman has done and said. 

Still better than the last two seasons of TWD. But man, if this multiple timeline BS and killing of Nick doesn't pay off big time, I'm throwing up the dueces and peacing out. 

It's like they got into the writing room after WW and were like "you know what, we can do that multiple timeline stuff too, right?" and Gimple said "it shall be done". 
  • edited June 7
    @lengmo I mean my problem hasn't been poorly staged action (although Fear the Walking Dead dropping the stable of directors they built up over the last three seasons and bringing in the usual suspects from The Walking Dead to replace them can't have helped - Satrazemis has done two episodes already), it's been that everyone has been making stupid decisions for the sake of plot contrivances in the last few episodes - a hallmark of The Walking Dead. Like I said before, this could just be new showrunner shakiness and maybe once they get out from under the split timeline structure things will pick up, but I'm not going to be optimistic.

The schadenfreude is much easier to pin down: people *want* to see AMC punished for how badly they've handled this franchise over the years. It sucks, because like I said Fear is capable of being legitimately good, but with the plummeting ratings and the main cast of The Walking Dead leaving, this thing is finally collapsing under its own weight, and I can't see either show lasting for much longer.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    I think this season has been a LOT more fun than the parent show has been the last 2 years.  I like the new characters. 

I still think people are wanting this to on HBO levels of quality and it never will be.  It's not perfect, but do you really expect a walking dead spin off to be?  

It's way better than the main show and it actually has me caring what may happen or at least trying to guess what is happening.  The main show is just an hour I can read comic books now while I sit with my wife. 
  • Scott Gimple is allergic to talent
  • Dillane and Dickens leaving this show should speak volumes about the direction of this show.  They really managed to somehow make this dumb idea of a spin off into something worth watching over seasons 2-3 (especially 3) and now they threw it all away and the shows top 2 actors bailing speaks for itself. "We don't need to do this show and won't sacrifice prime opportunities a la Andrew Lincoln for a sinking ship." 

NervousRhino
  • Oh and if the bullshit company line about the new showrunners being behind the decision to write her off the show is true? Then AMC's unwillingness to spend money to make money really knows no bounds. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I was reading something today about how Frank Dillane asked to leave because he didn’t like the direction things were going in, which if true, paints a different light on the “He wanted to leave, Gimple can’t be blamed” argument.
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Dillane wanted to leave; Dickens did not.  I assume Dickens was cut for a) monetary reasons and b) there was a petty group of TWD fans who wouldn't watch FTWD because of her and c) with Althea, June, Alicia, Luciana, and arguably Charlie, the show was already in danger of being a female-dominated show, and we can't have that in 2018, no sir.  I would expect Luciana to die before the end of the season.

Anyway, latest episode was very disappointing.  Barring the CGI horde it was clear this was done on the cheap, from bargain basement writing to very cheap staging of the fall of the stadium and almost everything else in the episode.  FTWD s1 and s2 showed you could have a good cheap show if you spend what little you have on good writers and actors.
  • Yeah, I was willing to chalk up Frank Dillane leaving as a case of 'it's been a few years and I'd like to move on to other things', but it's increasingly looking like he saw the writing on the wall and got out before things went to shit. Man, what a mess - I was still willing to somewhat apologize for this show a week ago, flaws and all, but killing off Madison like this is the same standard scummy Walking Dead move we've been having on the main show for years now.
  • So these guys really think Madison/Kim D was the problem with FTWD? I never really had that issue with the show? Did the few others who watched through season 3 hate Madison?
  • lengmolengmo RTP, NC
    Byrdie said:
    So these guys really think Madison/Kim D was the problem with FTWD? I never really had that issue with the show? Did the few others who watched through season 3 hate Madison?
    I doubt the people who watched through s3 and said they disliked here hated Dickens as much as the people who bailed after the six whole episodes of s1.  I think some people are watching s4 after hearing people praise s3.  What I don't get about the Dickens haters is many of them kept watching TWD while seemingly hating half a dozen characters on that show.  If you hate Eugene, Father Gabriel, Rosita, Tara, etc. etc. what makes Madison so much worse?
  • lengmo said:
    Byrdie said:
    So these guys really think Madison/Kim D was the problem with FTWD? I never really had that issue with the show? Did the few others who watched through season 3 hate Madison?
    I doubt the people who watched through s3 and said they disliked here hated Dickens as much as the people who bailed after the six whole episodes of s1.  I think some people are watching s4 after hearing people praise s3.  What I don't get about the Dickens haters is many of them kept watching TWD while seemingly hating half a dozen characters on that show.  If you hate Eugene, Father Gabriel, Rosita, Tara, etc. etc. what makes Madison so much worse?
    Madison is one of the main characters. Didn't care for her myself. I've been on and off watching, bailed again after S4E1.
  • I think I watched Fear up until around the end of season 2. I remember Madison doing at least a couple of annoying things early on. One was the time in season 1 when the family was quarantined in their safe zone and she cut through the fence, leaving a hole for zombies to enter. Another was when the family were on Strand's yacht and she wanted to bring over scores of refugees from a stranded boat, which would have got everyone killed. Also, I remember her being generally bitchy.
  • MmmBopMmmBop United Kingdom
    It’s now the ‘Morgan’ show and terribly boring Since SG  has taken over. One minute Morgan is with the group, next he’s with new people & it’s all very odd. Only 2 of the original cast are left & Lucinana from earlier season. I did think John Dorie was going to great but sadly it’s a f****** nightmare. I’m done. Cheers Gimple for ruining everything. Artsy farsty storytelling is not for FTWD or TWD. 
  • This show will die within a very short window of vanilla Walking Dead because AMC either hasn’t learned the lesson or doesn’t care. 
    MmmBop