308 - Kiksuya

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH

Directed by: Uta Briesewitz

Written by: Carly Wray & Dan Dietz

MsAnne

Comments

• Was that Emily and some other guy laughing in the background as Aketcheta decided not to kill that guy crawling on the ground? I could swear it was a woman in a brown hat...?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    This episode is so beautifully shot.  I love his story as well.  This might be one of my favorite episodes of the series.
    MurderbearKingKobrak8bot5000April_May_Junephoenyx1023sarahtatugatom_gDrCynPizMelonuskhisdudeness915and 3 others.
  • Oh, my heart. That last moment.
    MurderbearApril_May_Junesarahtatugatom_gsaraej319Esteban
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    This is the best story they've told. Fantastic, beautiful, heartbreaking episode.
    k8bot5000MichelleApril_May_Junesarahtatugatom_gMelonuskhisdudeness915Esteban
  • Fck beautifully shot and multiple gut punches. It must be allergy season or something. 
    MurderbearMichelleApril_May_Junesarahtatugatom_ghisdudeness915NoobieDooz
  • k8bot5000 said:
    Was that Emily and some other guy laughing in the background as Aketcheta decided not to kill that guy crawling on the ground? I could swear it was a woman in a brown hat...?
    No, think it was random guests. 
    k8bot5000rkcrawf
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    Westworld knows how to tell a character driven story when they go all out on in
    MurderbearApril_May_Junesarahtatugatom_gken halehisdudeness915
  • Will Maeve's daughter ever... grow up? Or will a child host remain a child forever? 
    tom_g
  • What a beautiful episode, maybe my favorite so far. 
    April_May_Junesarahtatuga
  • Cquinn15 said:
    Will Maeve's daughter ever... grow up? Or will a child host remain a child forever? 
    The hosts as far as we know do not age. She will be a child forever unless they move her consciousness to a different body. 
    Cquinn15tom_g
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Easily the best episode of the series.
    MurderbearMichelleApril_May_Junesarahtatugatom_ghisdudeness915
  • Wow. 

Just, wow. 

Not one wasted scene. 

Not one wasted second. 
    Michellesarahtatugatom_gEsteban
  • Who needs Ambien when there's ExpositionWorld? Seriously I really hated this episode which can only mean everyone else absolutely loved it. Say what you want about the actual story, it completely slaughtered the show's momentum; I just really wish they tweaked it and put it way earlier in the season instead of cockblocking the season's climax with it. 

It also just seems like a very labored attempt to re-purpose the dropped story from season 1 (which Ford sort of directly acknowledges). And it really is basically just an hour of exposition; and oh yeah btw fuck you you have to read it all too (which makes no sense because he's telling the story to Maeve and her daughter). 

I may bitch about things here and there about the show, or specific scenes, but I've always been interested in every episode, basically minute-to-minute, and am always a bit disappointed when the episodes are over always wanting more, but 15-20 minutes into this episode it was clear that this would be the whole episode and it was just fucking brutal. 
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    Wow!  What an episode!
    The end made me cry.   :'(
    Michellesarahtatuga
  • I think I may have just seen the single best episode of TV.
    Michelletom_ghisdudeness915
  •  Was that Ser IIyn Payne in cold storage? 
    Murderbear
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    This. I want more of this from Westworld.
    MurderbearMichelleGeomecsarahtatugatom_gsaraej319rkcrawfDrCynPizMelonuskken haleand 1 other.
  • edited June 11
    My affection for Hanzee (Zahn) put this one over the top.  Loved his work and the best episode of S2.
    Blusistersarahtatugatom_gMattyWeaves
  • Excellent ep
    Michellesarahtatugatom_g
  • I thought this episode was great, but I get the pacing issues Jim was feeling. I was hoping they would include the aftermath of the Maeve stuff in this episode. I'm assuming they are moving towards a scene we saw in the trailers and thought it would culminate there at least. Despite its somewhat deliberate pace, this was definitely one where I was shocked to look at the clock when the credits roll. Zahn McClarnon is captivating, especially in the Lakota dialogue storytelling. 
    k8bot5000
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    BroRad33 said:
     Was that Ser IIyn Payne in cold storage? 
    I thought the same thing!!
    BroRad33
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    Ok, in the end, I think Maeve is first speaking through Akecheta to her daughter.  And then she inhabits her daughter's person to hear the response from Akecheta.

My real theory is they thought that dialog was too heavy for the child actor to carry, so they got Zahn and Thandie to do the lines.  Which is-- probably a good idea.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 11
    They did more robot-character-development in this one episode than pretty much in all the previous episodes. I know some will complain about the lack of plot movement, but to me this is exactly what the show has been missing, and they nailed it.

My one nitpick is that I wish they hadn't used "Heart Shaped Box" in the trailer for this season because it was such an awesome musical choice for this episode, it would've been even better if hearing for the first time.
    rkcrawfMattyWeavesken hale
  • MrX said:
    My one nitpick is that I wish they hadn't used "Heart Shaped Box" in the trailer for this season because it was such an awesome musical choice for this episode, it would've been even better if hearing for the first time.
    I hear you. I'm kinda disappointed in the lack of period covers gotten, just cause they were so many good ones in season one. Have there even been any outside the ones in the trailers? I'm still hoping for a Paranoid Android or some other Radiohead to come back.
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    So is it a plot-hole that Arnold didn't bother to have all of Ghost Nation executed as well when he did his grand host purge and suicide?  Or is this part of Arnold's plan, since it seems beyond coincidence that Akecheta would stumble on the purge and discover the toy immediately after it happened.

So if it's part of Arnold's purge plan, that's cool-- but we need to find out more about that plan.  Because canonically "Arnold doesn't make mistakes, does he."
    ghm3
  • Ajas said:
    So is it a plot-hole that Arnold didn't bother to have all of Ghost Nation executed as well when he did his grand host purge and suicide?  Or is this part of Arnold's plan, since it seems beyond coincidence that Akecheta would stumble on the purge and discover the toy immediately after it happened.

So if it's part of Arnold's purge plan, that's cool-- but we need to find out more about that plan.  Because canonically "Arnold doesn't make mistakes, does he."
    I said this on the insta-chat, but it kinda seems like this implies that they're Ford's creatures. Almost like an open beta that exists somewhat obscured in the park. As far as we know Arnold has no maze plan so it would be odd for him to leave survivors.

I was thinking that he had given them the reveries, but looking back it seems like that more a consequence of the slapdick work from the techs giving him the Teddy treatment. So, maybe these were decidedly un-woke hosts that Arnold didn't feel the need to kill. That said he still recalled the maze prior to being turned Ghost Nation.

Are we wrong in taking as fact that the loops occur on a set time frame? We assume everytime that Dolores wakes up this is her reset, but do we have proof that each reset we see doesn't only occur after a "death"?
    jessicat
  • Best episode of the season for me. That was some great emotional storytelling. They also managed to wrap up some interesting backstory. I think the show should do this character investment more often, every time I'll see Akecheta I'll be invested in his outcome. This reminded me about the better parts of Lost, learn about a character and tie it all together with the current story. Amazing cinematography too. 

I hope next week's episode focuses primarily on the MIB. 
    sarahtatuga36Mickchrisk
  • In the preview for next week, I knew her voice as soon as I heard it, and then I saw her:  Sela Ward.  A goddess.  Can't wait to see how she gets MiB further towards "the truth."
  • Ajas said:

I said this on the insta-chat, but it kinda seems like this implies that they're Ford's creatures. Almost like an open beta that exists somewhat obscured in the park. As far as we know Arnold has no maze plan so it would be odd for him to leave survivors.

I was thinking that he had given them the reveries, but looking back it seems like that more a consequence of the slapdick work from the techs giving him the Teddy treatment. So, maybe these were decidedly un-woke hosts that Arnold didn't feel the need to kill. That said he still recalled the maze prior to being turned Ghost Nation.

Are we wrong in taking as fact that the loops occur on a set time frame? We assume everytime that Dolores wakes up this is her reset, but do we have proof that each reset we see doesn't only occur after a "death"?
    We know from last season resets happen in a couple of ways. 

1) after a death
    2) when they go to sleep 

the sleep reset can be overridden if they are with a guest and they are required to follow a storyline. 
  • KingKobra said:
    Ajas said:

We know from last season resets happen in a couple of ways. 

1) after a death
    2) when they go to sleep 

the sleep reset can be overridden if they are with a guest and they are required to follow a storyline. 
    Can you refresh me on where this happens? I remember hosts staying with guests, but I don't recall a host going from sleep to a reset loop or maybe it was in exposition I missed.