What are you watching?/Random TV thoughts thread

This has been a great thread for music so I figured I would put a toe in the water for a TV one. I realize that this could just end up as a big cluster fuck, but worth a try. Anyhoo, here we go:

My wife and I have been re-watching Cougar Town and it's totally great. The first half season of so is pretty clunky (some good episodes in there and certainly some great parts, but it was a little hit and miss), as they seemed to be figuring out their identity as a show but it's just a great assembly of characters. A really fun show about wacky friends hanging out and being wacky. I know that the title turned people off right out of the gates, and I bet a lot more fell off pretty early on, but it's totally worth it if you like these sorts of shows. Really charismatic, super fun, and a whole lot of solid heart. 

We've also been really hooked on Superstore. Another one that is just a ton of fun and has kind of a sneaky "eat your vegetables" factor by inserting incredibly silly versions of a lot of debates on issues of today. Another one with a whole lot of really fun characters. Really good show.
MattyWeaves

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    I spent years telling people at any opportunity to watch Cougartown. “The first 6 or 7 episodes are shit, but then it gets good!” Such a great under-rated show. 
    Travis
  • Totally agree! I do actually think there are a couple of good ones in those first 6 or 7, but it was a pretty rocky start. Man, once they figured it out though it was just fantastic. I love that show.
  • Most of my shows are over already...
    Colony (background watch) currently airing
    12 Monkeys (coming back for finals season this week)
    Animal Kingdom
    The 100

Off air:
    The Magicians
    The Americans
    Billions
    Homeland
    Atlanta
    Ray Donovan
    Shameless
    McMafia
    Snowfall (coming back next month I think) 

i know there are more i more I am forgetting. I also tried to list ones not covered by BM. 
    TravisElisa
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited June 13
    I haven’t been watching much TV of late - I’m kind of over it, and I’ve lost my patience for dense storytelling. I don’t know if I’m getting dumber with age or what, but when I have watched something, it’s usually sitcoms. And not “quality” sitcoms either - in the past few months I’ve rewatched all of Mike and Molly, Birds Of A Feather, Uncle, The Inbetweeners, and at 4:30 in the afternoon here Everybody Loves Raymond is on, and for some reason I always make an effort to watch that show, even though I’ve seen them all a million times and it’s basically the same episode every time. 

I think i have just officially turned into an Old Person. 

Oh, I did watch Safe on Netflix and quite enjoyed it. Michael C. Hall does a decent British accent. That one might be up your alley, @akritenbrink.
    TravisKingKobra
  • Dee said:
    I haven’t been watching much TV of late - I’m kind of over it, and I’ve lost my patience for dense storytelling. I don’t know if I’m getting dumber with age or what, but when I have watched something, it’s usually sitcoms. And not “quality” sitcoms either - in the past few months I’ve rewatched all of Mike and Molly, Birds Of A Feather, Uncle, The Inbetweeners, and at 4:30 in the afternoon here Everybody Loves Raymond is on, and for some reason I always make an effort to watch that show, even though I’ve seen them all a million times and it’s basically the same episode every time. 

I think i have just officially turned into an Old Person. 

Oh, I did watch Safe on Netflix and quite enjoyed it. Michael C. Hall does a decent British accent. That one might be up your alley, @akritenbrink.

I watch The Office, South Park and Seinfeld when they are on. I’ve also been known to get sucked into Matried with Children, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, etc. they are what I call comfort tv, where I can have a good laugh and mentally disconnect. 
    TravisDee
  • We've become pretty similar too, particularly over the last couple of years. We do watch Westworld, but I think that's the only real non-sitcom show that we watch right now. There are a couple that I'd like to catch up on (Legion and Mr Robot most notably), but we're just stuck on comedies. Lately we do Cougar Town and Superstore, and we were watching Brooklyn 99, the Goldbergs, the Good Place, and Ghosted before their seasons ended (I guess Ghosted just started back up out of nowhere). We'll also probably do the new Kimmy Schmidt sometime soon. We also watch an episode or two of something really familiar to zone out right before bed. These days it's almost always either Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, or The Office. We watch WAY more comedies than anything else though.
    DeeBelle
  • Just finished binge-watching Killing Eve. So good, lived up to the hype. Great actors, great directing & style, and I always love a show that hops around Europe.

With Legion wrapping up last night it's pretty much just the Expanse and Westworld for new stuff right now.

Otherwise mainly my wife and I are re-watching Brooklyn 99 on Hulu. A few of those after a long day is just what the dr. ordered.
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    A lot of what I was watching ended last month, so now I am just watching Westworld and The Handmaid's Tale.  If I feel like streaming old stuff my go-to's have been Sex and the City and Friends.  Harlots season 2 starts on 7/11 so I'll be watching that as well.
    Travis
  • I just finished binging 11.22.63 (Yes that’s the name of the show)

I liked it. The time travel structure was awesome, different and I would like to see them play with other periods in time in more seasons if they ever decided to make more episodes but the love story was bleh! Ok at first but it got boring and the acting got weird at times. I did get hooked though and really enjoyed watching it play out. 
    TravisBelle
  • Tried Wild Wild Country, but I got kinda bored half way through the first episode and tuned out. Certainly seems like a crazy story, but I don't know about the presentation (like extended B-roll of people walking in fallen leaves). I dug Evil Genius which is another Duplass Bros. docu-joint, so I'll probably try picking it up again for another shot.
    Travis
  • I’ve been keeping up with The Expanse, Westworld, and Legion.

Killing Eve was amazing. 

I’ve been re-watching a lot of Anthony Bourdain, for obviously sad reasons. But then I’ll switch over to Parks and Rec because escaping to Pawnee is never a bad thing. 
    TravisDoctor_NickcdriveBelle
  • I just finished binging 11.22.63 (Yes that’s the name of the show)

I liked it. The time travel structure was awesome, different and I would like to see them play with other periods in time in more seasons if they ever decided to make more episodes but the love story was bleh! Ok at first but it got boring and the acting got weird at times. I did get hooked though and really enjoyed watching it play out. 
    I dug 11.22.63. Actually, I meant to re-watch it but didn't get around to it. Thanks for the reminder. Good show.
    NervousRhinoBelle
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Last thing I watched was basketball. I feel I’ve been in a real dry state the last couple months. After Barry and Silicon Valley ended no interest. I was thinking about Westworld but the buzz for that has been minimal. Summer tv always sucked and still does.
    Travis
  • Travis said:
    I dug 11.22.63. Actually, I meant to re-watch it but didn't get around to it. Thanks for the reminder. Good show.
    Yeah the vast majority of that show was awesome and I would definitely rewatch. 

I also started to watch Iron Fist last night because everyone said how horrible it is and I couldn’t help but want to see if it was really that bad.  Yeah wow it really is lol. 
    Travis
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I wish AMC On Demand hadn't advertised Killing Eve with the same promo every commercial break during my watch of The Terror.  I now have a pathological aversion to watching that show.  

MrX said:
    Just finished binge-watching Killing Eve. So good, lived up to the hype. Great actors, great directing & style, and I always love a show that hops around Europe.

With Legion wrapping up last night it's pretty much just the Expanse and Westworld for new stuff right now.

Otherwise mainly my wife and I are re-watching Brooklyn 99 on Hulu. A few of those after a long day is just what the dr. ordered.

Travis
  • Yeah, I liked Iron Fist more than many, but it was DEEPLY problematic. Mainly, it's easily the best example of the Netflix/Marvel problem where there are too many episodes. If they had tightened it up to be 4 episodes instead of (was it?) 13 it could have been so much better. That wouldn't have fixed everything (for instance, the Knight of Flowers performance was at times REALLY brutal, on top of the fact that Danny is just kind of an insufferable dude), for sure, but man that show spun its wheels a whole lot. I thought there were things to enjoy about it though. My wife finished it, but totally lost interest in the middle (I'm certain she only let it play out for my benefit), and I was wavering towards the end too. 
    NervousRhino
  • kingbee67 said:
    Last thing I watched was basketball. I feel I’ve been in a real dry state the last couple months. After Barry and Silicon Valley ended no interest. I was thinking about Westworld but the buzz for that has been minimal. Summer tv always sucked and still does.
    Sucks is a strong word for the state of summer TV. There are some shows that are coming that seem to be good and ones returning as well. Summer has never been prestige time as most people are out vacationing or spending time with family and friends during prime time.

I don’t watch much new comedy, so I may not be of much help on new shows for you. I hear good things about Crashing on HBO and what I have seen of it was good. This summer for me will be Colony, 12 Monkeys, Animal Kingdom, Queen of the South and possibly a few others (might try that new HBO series that’s been getting promoted). 

For Westworld I think it depends on what the person is looking for. The audience is divided between thsoe that like/want the puzzle box and those who just want straight forward. Nothing wrong with either view, but for me I’ve enjoyed it. 
    NervousRhinokingbee67TravisElisa
  • Travis said:
    My wife finished it, but totally lost interest in the middle (I'm certain she only let it play out for my benefit), and I was wavering towards the end too. 
    I think I might actually finish it just out of curiosity. I’m actually not hate watching some of it is mildly entertaining and some of it is so bad it makes me laugh and if I’m laughing I’m getting something out of it. We’ll see how it goes lol. 
    Travis
  • I hear that. I will say that one really quick remedy for some of it, and it would assist in this is that it just takes itself so damned seriously, which in itself could be pretty funny at times. I mean, if you're going to take yourself as seriously as The Iron Fist does you really need to be a good show and that show was so bad at times that it made for a pretty funny combination. If nothing else, if you enjoy what the Netflix/Marvel combo is doing (which I ultimately do still, though they really need to pick their game back up) it's worth it to push through to have the full picture of what's going on with everybody, and all in all I thought the Iron Fist was fine and often fun. Could have been much better but I thought it was worth my time.
    NervousRhino
  • Opps almost forgot Snowfall which has been a very good show (IMO) that has flown under the radar. 
    Elisa
  • walktheskywalkthesky New York
    The Expanse
    Westworld
    legion
    homeland
    ray donovan
    the terror
    Elisa
  • ShumShum Utah
    I've mostly been binging Agents of SHEILD.  I originally stopped partway through season 1, but Infinity War made me want to catch up to see if they go full Leftovers.  I'm on Season 4 now and it's way better than I expected.  Maybe the flaws aren't as obvious while binging, but it's been pretty consistently good since the end of season 1.

Other than that, just keeping up with Westworld, The Expanse, Handmaid's Tale, and Ryan Murphy's new FX show, Pose, which has also been really good so far.
    TravisElisa
  • Shum said:
    I've mostly been binging Agents of SHEILD.  I originally stopped partway through season 1, but Infinity War made me want to catch up to see if they go full Leftovers.  I'm on Season 4 now and it's way better than I expected.  Maybe the flaws aren't as obvious while binging, but it's been pretty consistently good since the end of season 1.

Other than that, just keeping up with Westworld, The Expanse, Handmaid's Tale, and Ryan Murphy's new FX show, Pose, which has also been really good so far.
    It’s been fairly good (SHIELD). They found their grove and stick pretty much to it. This lost recent season I’ve let build up on the DVR, but when I watch, I like. 
    Travis
  • edited June 15
    Way behind the times on this one but I just started Black Sails.  Also Humans on AMC just started back up which I stumbled upon during season 1 and absolutely loved.  Otherwise Into the Badlands, The Expanse, Westworld, Legion, just finished up The Terror, Luke Cage and Preacher come back soon.
    KingKobraElisa
  • Way behind the times on this one but I just started Black Sails.  Also Humans on AMC just started back up which I stumbled upon during season 1 and absolutely loved.  Otherwise Into the Badlands, The Expanse, Westworld, Legion, just finished up The Terror, Luke Cage and Preacher come back soon.
    Humans is VERY good (another under the radar gem). With a similar premise to Westworld as far as AI goes, I’m surprised it doesn’t get more play around here. 
    Elisa
  • KingKobra said:
    Way behind the times on this one but I just started Black Sails.  Also Humans on AMC just started back up which I stumbled upon during season 1 and absolutely loved.  Otherwise Into the Badlands, The Expanse, Westworld, Legion, just finished up The Terror, Luke Cage and Preacher come back soon.
    Humans is VERY good (another under the radar gem). With a similar premise to Westworld as far as AI goes, I’m surprised it doesn’t get more play around here. 
    Agreed completely, I've almost never heard it brought up unless I was the one that brought it up.  Humans will probably never overtake Westworld as far as a better show in my opinion but it's right there with it in terms of quality in my opinion.  I couldn't believe how drawn in I got within just a couple of episodes.  
    KingKobraElisa
  • KingKobra said:
    Agreed completely, I've almost never heard it brought up unless I was the one that brought it up.  Humans will probably never overtake Westworld as far as a better show in my opinion but it's right there with it in terms of quality in my opinion.  I couldn't believe how drawn in I got within just a couple of episodes.  
    I also think it focuses on what people want to see from Westworld. There isn’t a lot of mystery box type things and the show focuses on the “meat” of the situation. Unfortunately in the US AMC does an atrocious job of promoting it. 
    letrbuck2006Elisa
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    The World Cup. Been up since 5am watching games.
    Elisa
  • Finally started watching Handmaids Tale.  I guess my thoughts are it’s depressing but entertaining. 
    ElisaTravis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.