310 - Dandelion Sky

Written by Georgia Lee
Directed by David Grossman
Cinematography by Jeremy Benning
Edited by Stephen Roque 

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Dandelion Sky was originally the name of the third book in the series back when it was a trilogy and not a.....nonology?
    Also I just decided to expand the credits because why not. 
    JaimieT
  • Oh goddammit, gonna end it like that.
    Elisa
  • Forget me! That last scene was very trippy.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    My jaw was open that whole ending. So many questions! I can't wait for the podcast... I wish we had the instant cast for The Expanse, not Westworld. /whining
    FlukesMFGMelonusk
    Oof, to be Anna. Responsible for 2 people dying possibly. She'll spiral if that happens, so maybe it won't, but it does seem to be taking that trajectory.
  • The whole flashback sequence was in reverse as noted by showing ring deconstructed to mushroom going into Venus. 

Can't wait for some not-lazy fuck to piece together what that all meant.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited June 14
    Just curious. I found out last week that Syfy edits the fucks to forgets. Is this a blanket change? "Forget you" works and is kind of hilarious. Tonight there was a "what the fuck is that" (I think that was the line). Forget doesn't fit nearly as well there. Did they still go with "what the forget is that?"
  • Push the button. Don't hold Holden back. :-)

Caman9119 said:
    The whole flashback sequence was in reverse as noted by showing ring deconstructed to mushroom going into Venus. 

Can't wait for some not-lazy fuck to piece together what that all meant.

Just like with Game of Thrones, I'm betting spoilers will slip in disguised as earnest theorizing. With those sequences, I'm of the opinion you really shouldn't slow them down and analyze them. They're meant to wash over you. I do the same thing with trailers too. 

But that's just me.
    Flukes
  • Going to be a whole lotta casualties (injured and dead) on the Behemoth, Thomas Prince and the MCRN ship. If the ships were on the float headed toward the nucleus a lot might have been grav-booted down but still at that speed and all that inertia it's going to be bad. From a broken bone perspective being booted down might be worse. Chaos about to ensue in the slow zone.

That ending...man. I have many thoughts but as a book reader I imagine they might be a bit different than show-only reactions. Speculating responsibly, Miller did explicitly state the nucleus was the technology from a billion-year-old civilization, right? And I read it as Holden getting a trippy, crash-course history lesson. His mind couldn't handle it at the end...too many of those synapses firing at once perhaps. 
    JaimieTElisaMelonuskJovial_Falcon
  • Floating Miller was great...needed more floating Miller conversing with Holden and less of pretty much everything else!
  • Floating Miller needs his own show.
    Maybe a time traveling Floating Miller floats in front of people throughout history talking shit to them.
    I would watch it.
    Flukesb_nut
  • Liked the setup of the suicide. They asked if objects could break the speed limit inside of a ship, and then they put it to the test with Lt. Kushner. Yet, clearly, the speed limit was in effect with the Martian guns. Or was that an actual defense mechanism by the nucleus?

I also liked the dynamic of Fagan and Anna. Anna's upset that she ignored someone in need of help. Helping people is Anna's job. Fagan tells Anna about someone else who might need help. Instead of Anna getting directly involved to help this Clarissa as part of her job, Anna tells Fagan to go help Clarissa. :-/

Had a Last Jedi flashback watching Holden and Miller fly through space. The two scenes are filmed differently, and the awkwardness here was intentional, but my brain still made the association.

Not sure what to make of a proto-Miller. I was not getting the benevolent vibe. More like something had assimilated Miller's memory to get him to reactivate tech from a long dead civilization. 

Reminded me of two recent sci-fi movies:

Prometheus meets Annihilation? 

Elisaghm3
  • Yeah @rkcrawf I hear you on not being sure what to make of proto-Miller. I think they've written him sooooo well and TJ is extraordinary. It's Miller but it's not. He seems to only be a tool and projection of the protomolecule but then genuine emotion comes through. He has a clear goal yet shows restraint toward the end of this ep. They are walking -- successfully thus far -- right along the knife's edge with this 'new' character.

rkcrawfElisaMelonusk
    Going to be a whole lotta casualties (injured and dead) on the Behemoth, Thomas Prince and the MCRN ship. If the ships were on the float headed toward the nucleus a lot might have been grav-booted down but still at that speed and all that inertia it's going to be bad. From a broken bone perspective being booted down might be worse. Chaos about to ensue in the slow zone.

That ending...man. I have many thoughts but as a book reader I imagine they might be a bit different than show-only reactions. Speculating responsibly, Miller did explicitly state the nucleus was the technology from a billion-year-old civilization, right? And I read it as Holden getting a trippy, crash-course history lesson. His mind couldn't handle it at the end...too many of those synapses firing at once perhaps. 

Yes, the old civilization theory seems to be confirmed, and I was surprised it happened so early. It's unique that the species itself is aware of that... makes it seem like the protomolecule is not a lifeform but a biological technology... doesn't have sentience, maybe. 
  • JaimieT said:
    Oof, to be Anna. Responsible for 2 people dying possibly. She'll spiral if that happens, so maybe it won't, but it does seem to be taking that trajectory.
    What do you mean two? That ship she blew up was empty?

Did anyone else think it was weird that protoMiller called Holden the patron saint of lost causes? Do you all think the writers have any idea that there actually is a patron saint of lost causes (St. Jude) or that they just thought it sounded cool? 
    edited June 14
    It’s just a turn of phrase. I don’t think many people are aware that there is actually a patron Saint of Lost Causes, it seems like a mostly catholic thing. 
  • Aren't all patron saints a Catholic thing? Anyway it just nagged me all episode thinking there would be a deeper meaning but it seems like it was just supposed to sound cool. And yeah I figure most people wouldn't know that, but they've probably heard of St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, which is what I know it from. 
  • Such a cool episode! Ancient civilisation reaches out is my favorite of all the sci fi tropes!
    Caman9119 said:
    The whole flashback sequence was in reverse as noted by showing ring deconstructed to mushroom going into Venus.
    Totally! Considered in reverse, it looked as if the protomolecule fled its place of origin towards the nucleus-void-hub thingy (not clear if they built that network or just discovered it) and may have spread from there to other places in the universe, like seeds spread from the seedhead of a dandelion ;) Haven't read a single one of the books, so purely guessing. The whole scene reminded me a lot of the history lesson in Mission to Mars (). This show is so, so cool, I haven't felt like this since Breaking Bad! I have a feeling this will be number one in the Baldies this year, they're certainly giving Westworld a run for their money...

JaimieT
  • edited June 14
    So, the protomolecule on board the rocinante was just a transmitter so that Holden could talk to the miller construct? Is it kind of contact in reverse, the dormant molecule is activated, builds and connects itself and the humans to a wider network? It would be cool if there are no makers / engineers anymore and the humans get interstellar travel. Let's push more buttons :-)

MFG
  • ghm3 said:
    JaimieT said:

Did anyone else think it was weird that protoMiller called Holden the patron saint of lost causes? Do you all think the writers have any idea that there actually is a patron saint of lost causes (St. Jude) or that they just thought it sounded cool? 
    Melba / Clarissa is going to have to kill Fagan now to keep her from blowing her cover
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    ghm3 said:
    JaimieT said:

Are you thinking of Melba/Clarissa? Anna, the reverend, is responsible for the Lt's suicide, and now for encouraging Tilly Fagan to go "help" Clarissa.
    JaimieTghm3
  • Flukes said:
    ghm3 said:
    JaimieT said:

Are you thinking of Melba/Clarissa? Anna, the reverend, is responsible for the Lt's suicide, and now for encouraging Tilly Fagan to go "help" Clarissa.

Ah! Yes I completely mixed up who @JaimeT was talking about. I was thinking of Melba/Clarissa because she seemed to be remorseful for killing that first guy and is now seemingly going to kill another, but she blew up that ship so wtf. 

Also I don't agree with that premise now that I understand it. The lieutenant came to her and she blew him off, but with Tilly she had to probe to even get her to talk, and then she listened, so I don't see how that's the same. Also she didn't really even tell her she should go hunt her down, she just said she should trust her judgement. There's no reason for either of them to have any idea of what Melba/Clarissa is up to, so how would any of this make her responsible for anything? I guess the show could easily make her feel guilty thinking she did the same thing again to Tilly but it's really not the same.
  • edited June 15
    Ive only read the first book, but here is my guess on what that last sequence might mean. This is pure speculation on my part btw:

We've already established that the protomolecule feeds off of energy. The scene show it putting out stars, and moving from one system to the next. What if it was sent to our system to basically consume our sun? They show a blue sun with three planets around it. I wonder if whatever ancient civilization that created it was also consumed by it. Is it somewhat sentient and is trying to avoid doing that to us?
    JaimieT
    Giovanni said:
    Ive only read the first book, but here is my guess on what that last sequence might mean. This is pure speculation on my part btw:

We've already established that the protomolecule feeds off of energy. The scene show it putting out stars, and moving from one system to the next. What if it was sent to our system to basically consume our sun? They show a blue sun with three planets around it. I wonder if whatever ancient civilization that created it was also consumed by it. Is it somewhat sentient and is trying to avoid doing that to us?

I like this idea. Except I wonder if it's not necessarily trying to avoid that. It creates urgency...
    Flukes
  • Wow, what an episode.  I feel like I need to watch it at least 1 more time before I even start to think about commenting about it.  Only 2 episodes left and I am even more thankful that Amazon jumped in and picked it up because I guarantee I would have been pissed with the way this series ended if this season was the end of it.
  • edited June 15
    I'm loving the Drummer vs. Ashford stuff, but it feels like it's tipped a bit too far in Ashford's favor. Like, letting your chief engineer ditch out of the most important mission in the history of the solar system on a brand new ship, representing a brand new nation, seems like total insanity. They could have at least lampshaded it a bit by saying they have some other engineer who's as good as Naomi. And of course it reflects even worse on Naomi. Realizing that her real loyalty was to Holden's crew was great, but being willing to abandon the important job that she had already committed to doing, in such a high stakes situation, feels like a big character flaw.

EDIT: Thinking on it more, there is a nice contrast between Naomi and Bobby, who (I think) is committed to her duty over her old friends, and also Anna, who realizes that she's been neglecting her duty and rededicates herself to it. 
    The_Third_ManGiovanniDoctor_Nick
  • Somebody uploaded the ending scene on Youtube, played forwards and backwards. Backwards starts around 1:30.