World Cup 2018

NoelNoel Dallas, TX
I don’t know how many people would be interested in a thread about the World Cup, but I figured I’d give it a shot! Hopefully I’m not on this island by myself.

Who is everyone else supporting? I know the US didn’t make it this time, but I know plenty of people who are just picking a random country for their own reasons. I will be wearing my Mexico jersey, as that is where I was born and grew up for most of my childhood. 

Who do you think will win it all? I have a hard time seeing anyone outside of Argentina-Spain-Brazil-Germany winning it all. Maybe France? I know the hipster choice is Belgium again. Maybe we’ll finally get a team that is not in Europe or South America! 

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/groups/

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/matches/
ElisaMelonuskwasi

Comments

• Yup I'll roll for El Tri this year, gotta go with the North America pride! I'm excited for it even though the USMNT didn't make the cut, it's always fun to get in the World Cup spirit.

I think it's Brazil's year ... But who knows. I agree that it's hard to pick against one of those 4?

Also I'm pumped about 2026, hoping we get some matches here in Denver.
    NoelDani_Armindo
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    @MrX I would assume Denver gets some of the matches because of their location. What other cities nearby can sustain that many people? Dallas is always competing with Houston for the Texas/south location so I’m a bit worried. BUT apparently the “smaller” cities (all countries) will get group play and the major cities (US, maybe Mexico City) get the knockout rounds.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    my soul still aches from 2014 and that Netherlands game. bounce back time 4 years later! vamonos Alemania! CHICHARITO!! 
    Noel
  • I'm rooting for Mexico and Colombia.  I went to a Copa America match a few years ago hoping to see Mexico and it ended up being Chile and Colombia and the Colombia fans were great.
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Chinaski said:
    my soul still aches from 2014 and that Netherlands game. bounce back time 4 years later! vamonos Alemania! CHICHARITO!! 
     NO ERA PENAL
    Chinaski
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Gotta pull for the Socceroos since the US didn’t make it. Second choice is Germany given my heritage. 
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Happy World Cup day everybody!!!

I’m obviously an England fan through and through, but I’m half Spanish too so the Spain team are also part of my supporting experience.

What’s the first World Cup you can remember? Mine was France 98. I remember making trade offs with teachers at school, doing work at lunch so we could watch the games on on the tiny TV in the hall!

Melonusk
  • MrX said:
     17 US cities applied to host games - Denver was one of them - and from that list 10 will be chosen. 

MrX
  • I'll be supporting my grandparent's homeland...here's to England making it out of the group stage and hoping for the best after that haha!
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    edited June 14
    Definitely a bummer US didn't qualify but back up team has always been Germany (land of my ancestors) so I will be pulling for Germany. Won't be as into it this year with US not in it but World Cup season it always a good time.
  • Noel said:
    @MrX I would assume Denver gets some of the matches because of their location. What other cities nearby can sustain that many people? Dallas is always competing with Houston for the Texas/south location so I’m a bit worried. BUT apparently the “smaller” cities (all countries) will get group play and the major cities (US, maybe Mexico City) get the knockout rounds.

MrX said:
     17 US cities applied to host games - Denver was one of them - and from that list 10 will be chosen. 

Yes Denver is definitely on the short list, is be surprised if they don't get selected.
  • Also it seems very fitting in 2018 that the opening match is Russia v. Saudia Arabia. Maybe Jared Kushner will be an honorary referee.
    CretanBullakritenbrinkMFG
  • MrX said:
    Also it seems very fitting in 2018 that the opening match is Russia v. Saudia Arabia. Maybe Jared Kushner will be an honorary referee.
    I wish there was a way that they could both lose.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I really enjoy cheering for the US, but obviously they're out. I default to Poland because that's most of my mutt background. England is also on my radar but it seems like America has done better than them the last few tries.

I also like a good underdog so I'm hoping Iceland makes some moves again. As most years though, I'll probably end picking someone who I don't want to win and go from there.
  • I'll be using this match by match

link

with the variables of 'freedom', 'beer swilling', and 'freedom of the press' selected.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I'm rooting for Gerrrrsssspainzzzzil???  It's gonna be either Germany, Brazil or Spain....and I gots love for all 3 of those countries. Germany cause of my heritage. Spain & Brazil cause I love the people & culture.  

If I had to choose one, I'm hoping for Brazil to get revenge on Germany now with Neymar's return.  That was so brutal & heartbreaking 4 years ago when he broke his freaking back and Brazil's chances were instantly crushed.  Videos of fans heavily sobbing...so sad.  And then Germany comes in and absolutely mauls a Neymar-less Brazil squad.  It was tough to watch.  Brazilians have been through so much economically with their recession due to corruption.  For work around that time, I remember flying back out of the Rio airport just hours before riots because the people were fed up with another tax, taxing the bus system, basically taxing the poor, to pay for the 2014 World Cup.

I'm not even a really huge soccer fan...it's just hard not to get into the World Cup lately over the last few cups.  
    Dani_Armindo
    edited June 14
    Surprising start from Russia, I had them down to win but only by a goal or two. Saudi Arabia didn’t do anything with their possession and gave the ball away far too easily.

That’s the first game checked off my betting slip, I’ve got an accumulator for the results of all the first group matches. A £1 bet that could return me £80,000 hahaha. Tomorrow I need wins for Uruguay and Spain, and draw between Morocco and Iran!
    Noel
  • I'm rooting for 3 teams. South Korea, Argentina because of Messi, and Japan. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    With so many Spurs playing for England, I'm a Lion for this World Cup.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    With the US out, I am going for Spain, though changing your coach the day before the tournament kinda messes it all up.   :D :p
  • MelonuskMelonusk Ireland
    2010 - Spain, 2014 - Germany; completely in line with the times. Logically, this year should have been Spain's... but they sabotaged themselves with their coach's firing, so I'm not so sure anymore.

France, England are still young teams, not sure if Brazil is ready collectivelly, Germany will be there but twice in a row is very difficult... I see it really open this year.
    amyja89Elisa
  • AjasAjas Seattle, WA
    I'm all for France, but their goalkeeper is a comedy of errors.
  • I cant get into EPL, but every 4 years i get into World cup. I enjoy it way more than the olympics, whether or not The US is involved. Ill be watching Spain and Portugal tomorrow for sure
  • russkellyrusskelly Indianapolis
    I didn't even know it started. I'm not going to be that into it since USA is out. If I have to pick another country, Gimme Mexico. Or Ghana. Is Ghana in? Also, How much of a financial hit (if any...) do you think the World Cup will take since the USA is not in and lot of fat lazy 'Mericans like myself are gonna skip it and not watch it and not buy scarves and not drink budweiser? (as much as i would)
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited June 15
    russkelly said:
    I didn't even know it started. I'm not going to be that into it since USA is out. If I have to pick another country, Gimme Mexico. Or Ghana. Is Ghana in? Also, How much of a financial hit (if any...) do you think the World Cup will take since the USA is not in and lot of fat lazy 'Mericans like myself are gonna skip it and not watch it and not buy scarves and not drink budweiser? (as much as i would)
    No Ghana either :(

The World Cup would definitely be better off with America in it, but I also don't think that your absence will have much of a financial impact...millions will be missing from an event that measures it's financial impact in the billions.  A good part of the money comes from TV deals, and ESPN (I assume they hold the US TV rights?) have already paid up...so they'll be hurt more than FIFA will be (ad sales will be lower without USA games).  A good number of American soccer fans are immigrants, or recent descendants of immigrants - so while they would have cheered for America, they'll be just as comfortable cheering for Mexico, Italy, Poland etc

Side note - Mexico is probably USA's biggest rival, but they're a very likable team...and I think at some point in the future the MLS and Mexican league will merge, so in a round about way Mexican success is good for the future of American (and Canadian!) soccer.
  • I’m from Northern Ireland so not making it to the World Cup every year forces you to make concessions with another nation. 

I fancy Germany to win it. I will be supporting Brazil and Portugal. 
  • Adski said:
    I’m from Northern Ireland so not making it to the World Cup every year forces you to make concessions with another nation. 

I fancy Germany to win it. I will be supporting Brazil and Portugal. 
    You've always got George Best (but screw Man U!)
  • Damn Egypt just took a gut punch
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    That Uruguay goal was nice!!  Took the day off so I just saw it live.

They way down in Eygpt land.  
    edited June 15
    Unimpressed by Uruguay on the whole, especially seeing as some people have them down as dark horses. Suarez looked really off his game.