Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Wow. Do you know who the woman she refers to is? 
  • No, who?
  • Dee said:
    Just guessing, but it could be his assistant Katie.
    Dee
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 2018
    Dee said:
    He’s currently married to Lydia Hearst, so it must be her.  If I’m not mistaken, they were dating publicly not long after he and Chloe broke up, then got engaged about a year later.  She’s a model and actress and the daughter of Patty Hearst.

EDIT: Never mind.  I just re-read it and she had known the woman for a year already - I misread it as it had been a year since.  My mistake.  It could very well have been Katie, but it could also have been one of many of his female friends.  Either way, it's super disappointing to say the least.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 2018
    And also, god damn it.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    gguenot said:
    No, who?
    I don’t know, that’s why I was asking. I don’t follow Chris Hardwick or watch Talking Dead so I don’t know who he hangs out/works with. 
  • Oh, I thought you were setting up the reveal lol
    JaimieTDee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I've only seen him once, over a period of 3 hours, on a guest role with Critical Role (Dungeons & Dragons show). He was an attention whore. I didn't get a good impression of him at all. 

And I'm not just saying this after the fact, lol, I could probably dig up reddit comments where I said the same.
    Deegguenot
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited June 2018
    JaimieT said:
    I've only seen him once, over a period of 3 hours, on a guest role with Critical Role (Dungeons & Dragons show). He was an attention whore. I didn't get a good impression of him at all. 

And I'm not just saying this after the fact, lol, I could probably dig up reddit comments where I said the same.

(I’m teasing btw)
    JaimieTFlukesnstinsonMelonusk
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    It's so upsetting how someone can get trapped in an absolutely toxic and vile relationship. Good for her to gather the courage up to say something about someone who is generally really liked by a lot of people. That could not have been easy. (Obviously not as this was her 17th attempt at writing this)

Well, one would assume this could jeopardize his Talking Dead show. I guess they may be looking for a new host. Or hosts....sorry boys.

gguenotchrisk
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Meh, I had this whole thing typed up as a reply but I don't think I can take the words in my head and properly convey them.

This sucks all around.
  • edited June 2018
    Honestly, I’m not too surprised by this news. I can remember when I followed Hardwick a couple years back him snapping on followers who disagreed with him on the direction of the The Walking Dead. He’d just get nasty and take the argument to the next level. I could definitely tell he had a few screws loose up there. I’m happy she got rid of him and found happiness somewhere else. 
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It's so upsetting how someone can get trapped in an absolutely toxic and vile relationship. Good for her to gather the courage up to say something about someone who is generally really liked by a lot of people. That could not have been easy. (Obviously not as this was her 17th attempt at writing this)

Well, one would assume this could jeopardize his Talking Dead show. I guess they may be looking for a new host. Or hosts....sorry boys.

I would be very surprised if this had much of an effect on his career. His hardcore fanbase don’t seem to be the type whose sympathies would lie with women. He will probably just lie low for a while and by the time TWD is back it will be all forgotten. 
    JaimieTgguenot
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    It really saddens me seeing the "when they go low, we go high" advice being misconstrued as victims staying silent. If it was a lie, then you would be going low. If it's truth then it doesn't really have anything to do with that paradigm. I mean, you could work it into that paradigm, but I'd rather not describe nobility to either side. (I know that's a whole discussion that could be had, and I wouldn't fault anyone for saying a victim speaking up is noble; I can certainly see ways that it is absolutely noble.) 

Anyway, it only saddens me to a point. Because I think when they're in the thick of the abuse, they'll latch onto anything as a rationalization to survive. It is what it is.

This is tragic. She describes herself as a trophy girlfriend at the end... more like a personal sex slave, American style.
    DeeMattyWeaves
  • So The Walking Dead is losing Bald Move coverage, Andrew Lincoln, Lauren Cohan and now Chris Hardwick. YIKES!
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I wouldn't say I was ever a big fan of his. I did enjoy him on Talking Dead in the early seasons and thought he was a highlight of the show (I stopped watching about season 5). The thing I gravitated more to him was his sobriety, as I could relate to that. I admired him for turning his life around. But I guess we only get to see small glimpses of these celebs and never really know. Lot of respect for Chloe Dykstra for telling her story. Took a lot of courage.

• Wow, dark triad abuser. They are everywhere. It's sad that at the end of the article she writes that she hopes he's changed into a better person. There's no evidence that people with these pathologies can ever change for the better.
  • AMC is a public company, so I hope that they won’t be able to just let this kind of thing fade into the background over time. I used to enjoy Hardwick on @midnight and for the first 3-4 seasons of Talking Dead, but then I wondered how he could have sold his soul to the point that he could continue to do that show in the way he did it with the quality of TWD deteriorating so significantly.

Turns out that was the wrong question: looks like he sold his soul to ambition and desire for fame long before then.

I sincerely hope that his image suffers for this, and that his career will be forever and inescapably linked with the shit-show that TWD has become, even after AMC cancels his contract (which will hopefully be this month). I hope that the price he was paid for his soul turns to ashes.

Show business is probably full of people who would screw over their own mother to get ahead, but that doesn’t make it okay and I would like to think that these kinds of people crash and burn in the end.

I’m curious how Hardwick will react: contrition, denial, further character assasination, defamation lawsuit, sex addiction rehab? I’m sure he’s talking to a publicist, and a lawyer, about it now...
    MurderbearJaimieT
  • I’ve moved to guilty until proven innocent when it comes to celebrities. I know that’s not fair but it just seems like every other week there’s a new story that disappoints me about someone I respected. Not that I ever respected Hardwick. 
    MurderbearTaraC73
  • I liked him back in the G4 days and I had no problem with him on the few episodes of The Nerdist podcast I've listened to, but seeing him in hosting gigs since G4, I've always gotten any inexplicable icky vibe from him. I chalked it up to my skepticism of his "nerd of all trades" image, but maybe it was some genuine insight. 
  • It's getting to the point where I am never surprised when it turns out a wealthy, powerful, and/or famous man is a complete scumbag. I do wonder if part of the conceit that is necessary to believe you deserve to be famous, rich, or powerful also leads you to believe you can treat other people as objects. 
    Doctor_Nick
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    JTKIII said:
    Honestly, I’m not too surprised by this news. I can remember when I followed Hardwick a couple years back him snapping on followers who disagreed with him on the direction of the The Walking Dead. He’d just get nasty and take the argument to the next level. I could definitely tell he had a few screws loose up there. I’m happy she got rid of him and found happiness somewhere else. 
    I felt the same way when I found out. Used to listen to his podcast when it first started and, even then, I got this vibe from him that he viewed people as networking and business opportunities to be used, so I'm not shocked that he would view his partner as a sexual and emotional object to be used solely for his own gain/pleasure.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I used to listen to Hardwick's podcast, but lost interest over time. When the relationship with Chloe ended, I remember thinking there was something off about the way they talked about it, but I think I wrote it off as just people hurt by a breakup.

It's a basically meaningless thing, but I headed over to Twitter, just to tweet "I believe you" to Ms Dykstra. Sadly, there were already men "explaining" the meaning of sexual assault to her. How much do you have to love Chris Hardwick to go after his victim like that? I just puts a very uncomfortable pit in my stomach to see how broken this celebrity culture is.
    MattyWeavesphoenyx1023
  • edited June 2018
    It has nothing to do with loving Hardwick and everything to do with hating women. 
    FlukesMurderbearCretanBullphoenyx1023gguenotDee
  • So did I read that correctly that she had a serious surgery and lost their child and his first question was when can I have sex with her again and that was asked in front of her mother??
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    asmallcat said:
    It has nothing to do with loving Hardwick and everything to do with hating women. 
    You're right. Fuck, that's depressing.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Yeah, I'm sure there is a certain percentage of his fanbase that will want to defend him but it's mainly going to be the shitball asshats that attack every woman who comes forward with news of abuse and has to point out it's #notallmen. Just like your shitty uncle who just HAD to say ALL LIVES MATTER. Yeah, you're technically right, but that's not the conversation right now.
  • So did I read that correctly that she had a serious surgery and lost their child and his first question was when can I have sex with her again and that was asked in front of her mother??
    I don't say this in defense of him at all, but he's a super sarcastic guy who is also a comedian - I read that comment as a misplaced joke because it would be a shocking/funny thing to say.
    NervousRhino
  • @CretanBull If it had just been in isolation, sure, but taken with the rest of his behavior as described in this piece I find it far more plausible that he was deadly serious. Also...fuck, even if it was a joke, that situation is not even remotely the time or place for a joke like that.
    CretanBullGiovanni
  • As we learned with Louis CK, sometimes the funny jokes reflect a disturbing underlying reality
    JaimieTCretanBullMelonuskTaraC73
This discussion has been closed.