Plot no longer sole focus in the podcasts?

meatballmeatball Sweden, Europe
First, shouldn't there be like an Ask the Baldmove crew thread in the forum? Regardless, this is that kind of question. 

I listen to and appreciate the Baldmove podcast on series I like. IMHO what has been unique with Baldmove is the heavy focus on the plot. Lately though (e.g. Better call Saul & House of cards) I hear more and more talk about crossreferences such as the producer/writer of this episode has done this and that before. Also some discussion about the craftmanship of shooting movie/tv.

My question to Baldmove or for others to speculate in, is if this is an intentional change of focus or maybe just new personal interests? Is it perhaps something that has been requested by fans? I mean, there are a 1000 podcasts out there that are more than keen to compare producers/actors to previous works and to analyze camera angles. Not so many are doing a *good* breakdown of the plot. Maybe I am the only one, but I would prefer to listen to discussions about the plot.  Any thoughts?

Comments

• @meatball by my ear, I still think 98% of each cast is analysis and recap/plot driven. giving context to relevant creators of a given episode, or mentioning a relevant camera angle, should enrich discussion/analysis, not detract from it. but maybe I want different things from a TV cast than you do. what are the 1000 podcasts analyzing camera angles? Because I wouldn't mind listening to one.
    steph_bTaraC73TravisElisaKenzieschadenfreudianslip
  • I'm definitely more into critical analysis of themes and character motivations. Presumably, 99% of listeners have very recently watched the show being discussed so a recap doesn't add much value beyond serving as a framework to guide the analysis.
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    It's something Jim and I have been playing with the past year. The scene by scene recaps for some shows can get a bit stilted, so we've been steering our discussion by character/theme thread rather than scene by scene. We still go scene by scene most of our "signature" shows. The focus on the writers and directors is to help me get a feel for them, and to improve my general TV education, but that experiment has been less successful.
    ElisaKenzieschadenfreudianslip
  • meatballmeatball Sweden, Europe
    To be clear, personally I don't take any view on if scene by scene is better or worse than character/theme discussion. As long as it contains the quality Baldmove analyses of what drives the plot (or characters if you like). Recap IMO is something much simplier than the Baldmove analysis. A recap is something that teenagers can pod about. I just noted that there now is camera angles and cross references, and for me it brings nothing (never studied film), but I can live with it at this proportion. Well, I guess I have to.
  • meatballmeatball Sweden, Europe

what are the 1000 podcasts analyzing camera angles? Because I wouldn't mind listening to one.

For start I think you could take any podcast that covers True Detectives :-) 
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    As a busy mom of 3, 99% of my TV viewing is distracted and I miss a lot of little things. I really appreciate when the guys discuss things like camera angles and music choices and POV etc... I think their casts are still plot driven, and find the mix of technical stuff and plot/character motivation discussion to be just right.
    hypergenesbsteph_btrippyElisaschadenfreudianslip
  • I'm not going to defend the director / writer stuff at the top of the podcast because I personally find it boring.  As A.Ron said, it was something he wanted to do to see if he could find patterns in quality based on several factors (paired writers, experience, narrowing down the Villigang, etc).

The art of cinema is not something I'm knowledgeable about but it's something that adds a lot to my enjoyment of a show and I like to point it out when I see something especially interesting.  I don't point out everything I notice because I agree that the podcast should be mostly about the plot and characters.

Also, it depends on the podcast.  Shows like Mad Men demand an extra level of dissection when it comes to the art of filmmaking.  Walking Dead or 24.... not so much.

I doubt we'll go any farther down this rabbit hole so don't worry too much about it.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Being that television is a visual medium, I always appreciate it when podcasters discuss when and how the visual aspect is relevant to the storytelling.

I also like acknowledging the writer and director.  Some podcasters will point it out only when the showrunner writes and/or directs an episode, but I feel it's disrespectful to the other writers and directors if it's not a standard segment.   Television is an extremely collaborative medium, and each show has (or should have) its own voice and look, but there will always be certain writers and directors who bring their own thing to the table, and I like acknowledging that.
    hypergenesbsteph_bKenzie
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I don't get the criticism... If the 5 minutes chatting about writer/director of that specific eisode bothers you, skip forward.
    Jeramiahhypergenesbksa1001Kenzie
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    You all will be happy to find that we're giving particular attention to grips, best boys, assistants to the executive producer, and the electricians in upcoming season.  Sure, some might accuse us of just reading IMDB mindlessly, but we like to think we're giving credit where it's due.  
    steph_bTaraC73Kenzieschadenfreudianslip
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    I think BaldMove really shines in contrast to other podcasts in covering all of the essentials. As an example for comparison/contrast. I listen to the Better Call Saul insider podcast, and while they have the actors and people involved in making the show present, 1/2 the time the actors haven't even SEEN the episode, and they'll get so wrapped up in everything BUT the episode, that they rush past the actual plot b/c they are running out of time.

I won't even bother mentioning afterbuzz "bye Felecia"

BaldMove ftw in my opinion