Succession - HBO

Anyone been watching this?  I was cursing under my breath every time the promos came on for the last couple months because the premise seemed abhorrent to me, and I still don't really understand why this got made, in today's political climate.  It's basically billionaire-white-privilege the show, but it's strangely compelling.  I don't want to care about any of the protagonists, but it's so well-written that I do just want to see what happens next.  I haven't even watched Westworld this week but I got excited about this.  Matthew Macfadyen, Nicholas Braun, and Kieran Culkin bring some quality comedy that almost hits an Arrested Development tone, but in a much more serious setting.  It's weird.  The humor feels British.  To make another comparison, it's a bit like Billions but less sensationalized, if that appeals to you.  The first couple scenes of the first episode were pretty rough, but I do think it's worth a watch, and was kind of surprised not to see any discussion on it yet.
Cecily

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I kept meaning to start a thread, because if there is one I haven't seen it. Its become my Monday night show. I've really been loving it. Usually it takes a bit longer for a show to get its hooks in me, but this one had me from the jump. I agree with you that it is an odd time to see this being made. I barely remember seeing anyone without white skin and a speaking role. It drips of privilege and insufferable characters, but it is smartly written and the dialogue is snappy.

It does have an Arrested Development feel to it now that you mention it. It has the older matriarch, a (seemingly) conniving mom, a son poised to take over the company, a younger more brash son, a conniving daughter with a problematic male partner, and a bumbling nephew (I think?). 

I also saw that after the second episode HBO had already renewed it. I was not surprised, but also happy to see it. With Game of Thrones ending they are probably holding onto their shows even if they are only moderately successful. Good stuff, and I highly recommend it. But I can easily see people not enjoying it just based on the demographic of characters that are being portrayed. 
    ken haleFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 19
    I hate Kendall. Really, I hate everyone in this show (except maybe Roman, and he still sucks too), but Kendall actually makes me want to turn the show off. I do love stock/major conglomerate/corporate espionage talk though, so I'm in for the long haul.
    ken hale
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    It's Westworld without robot cowboys. #TheJamesDelosStory
    RenaisWomn
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    So far I like it. Looking forward to the next episode. And I’d say it’s Westworld without robot cowboys, bad writing, and uninteresting characters. 
  • Agree that the characters are abhorrent for the most part (except perhaps cousin Craig/Greg?) but it really is a compelling story. And in the moments when its stock dips below "compelling," it's still a fun summer soap.  Moreover, it provided a nice boost after the disappointment of the last couple of WestWorld episodes. Excited to see where this goes. 

Matthew Macfadyen is killing it as a midwestern kid at the elite grownups table. He clings to Craig/Greg as a life raft of decency--decency, one suspects, that he recognizes from earlier days--at times abusing him and at others pulling him close. Seems like the way he alternately feels wistful for and yet above his humble midwestern roots. I think he's the most complicated character.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Are we spoilering this thread?

I though it was low key hilarious that they chose a song about Harlan Country with striking coal miners, scabs and the coal bosses to play at the end of Episode 6.
    Man each episode seems to be better than the last. If I had to point out a flaw it’s that I can usually see the general direction and twists of the episode. But when they pull those twists off as entertainingly as they have been I have a hard time complaining. 
    Connor's ranch is hilarious. See that nonsense all over New Mexico. Rich people are all about themes. They really love their themes.
    Freddy said:
    Connor's ranch is hilarious. See that nonsense all over New Mexico. Rich people are all about themes. They really love their themes.
    I loved and hated that thing at the same time. There was something really pretty about it...but then there was SO much of it. I did think the pool was pretty badass though. That was a great final shot to the episode of the camera following Logan as he gets out of the pool. I think we see a bunch of scarring on his shoulders too. I am curious to find out more about that. 
    I doubt Logan continues to recover so robustly.  I wonder what will happen when/if he goes down again and all this nastiness has come out....
  • I love this show.  Because the Big Short is my fave movie, I was already set to like it.  I'm disappointed nobody covers it.  Does any have an opinion as to why it's barely covered?
    Sweshrung said:
    I love this show.  Because the Big Short is my fave movie, I was already set to like it.  I'm disappointed nobody covers it.  Does any have an opinion as to why it's barely covered?
    I can't speak to lack of coverage, but I do think its a strange time for a show like this to be produced. I'm glad as hell that it is, but the political climate of things makes for odd timing to see a show with so much privileged white maleness. I understand that this is poked fun at plenty, but it could be off-putting for many. It must be doing satisfactory though because HBO already ordered a second season. 
    Sweshrung
  • I have a terribly implausible idea that since this is purported to be based on Murdoch’s fam bam, that media recap coverage has been suppressed. 
  • I'm not sure I really like this show, but yet I've watched every episode so far. These are the type of people I really hate, and they do some pretty terrible things. Yet what can i say, it's  entertaining.
    edited July 20
    One thing that's a little weird is that Shiv is such a hot political operator.  You'd think a total lack of grounding in real life would preclude her from being useful as a campaign planner, but perhaps being around all the media and television all her life balances it out.  
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    So after watching the pilot, I thought it was an ok show. It had some crazy and entertaining characters, none you really like though. Not much “meat” to the story either. Boy I’m I glad I stuck around. Its really hitting its stride. The story has really developed and I think it’s a well written, compelling show now. I’m all in.
    The Tom and Greg show is the best.
    RenaisWomn
  • edited July 24
    I liked this show for the most part, I don't think it's great but it's entertaining. Except for the comedy parts it is an otherwise shameless copycat of Billions though (down to the Ortolans), and nowhere remotely as good. I still can't believe the stupid lazy writers had that idiotic scene of a supposedly "air gapped" laptop that a character then clicked a button on and magically printed documents from.  
    Freddy
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited July 24
    One thing that's a little weird is that Shiv is such a hot political operator.  You'd think a total lack of grounding in real life would preclude her from being useful as a campaign planner, but perhaps being around all the media and television all her life balances it out.  
    Maybe it's my bias against most politicians of every stripe, but I don't think it takes being grounded in the average American experience for a smart person to weaponize the ideas of it in their rhetoric during campaign season.

That said, the Shiv + Bernie Sanders campaign plot is one of the more interesting beats that has developed in the second half of the season so far. I think she's right in saying that Bernie stand-in candidate is going to need to pivot more to the middle from where he is once he has sufficiently rallied the base, although I don't think he will. 
    edited July 24
    Isn't Billions the thing I watched where it starts off with the District Attorney of the Southern District of New York trying to nail Damien Lewis's Stevie Cohen character stand in while his wife is actually working for Damien Lewis's character?  Seemed more preposterous than anything on Succession so far. 

ghm3 said:
    I liked this show for the most part, I don't think it's great but it's entertaining. Except for the comedy parts it is an otherwise shameless copycat of Billions though (down to the Ortolans), and nowhere remotely as good. I still can't believe the stupid lazy writers had that idiotic scene of a supposedly "air gapped" laptop that a character then clicked a button on and magically printed documents from.  

• Isn't Billions the thing I watched where it starts off with the District Attorney of the Southern District of New York trying to nail Damien Lewis's Stevie Cohen character stand in while his wife is actually working for Damien Lewis's character?  Seemed more preposterous than anything on Succession so far. 

ghm3 said:

If a show was covering such things in a realistic way it would be boring as fuck. But no, none of those things are as preposterous as an airgapped laptop magically printing. That's about as smart writing as establishing that a car is completely out of gas and the engine has no oil, then at the end of the scene someone starts it up and roars away in it.
    This has been one of my surprises of the summer so far, in that I'm surprised how much I've enjoyed it. It took me and the missus a few weeks into its run to even watch an episode, mostly because she thought it looked dumb and not interesting at all, yet at this point she's loving it more than I am. I'm actually looking forward to Succession episodes on Sunday night slightly more than Sharp Objects, mostly because of the comedy aspect of Succession (whereas Sharp Objects is great, but depressing).

So far Tom is my favorite. Him being such a diva bridezilla was my favorite part of episode 9. The Saga of Greg is my second favorite part of the season. Of course the family and most of the major players as a whole are complete assholes and every negative pathological term you could throw out there, but the game of the power struggle is compelling and the depths of their asshole-ishness and fucked up family dynamic is somehow endearing to me. I don't like any of them as people on an individual level, aside from Greg and maybe Tom for different reasons, yet as a family I'm just eating them up on screen.

I think Mark Mylod says it best in this video (below) when he says "I'm excited for the audience to.. to perhaps do what I did, which was to fall in love with the family despite themselves"

Another bit of praise I think are the sets and locations they are filming in are incredible. The castle, the ranch, the WTC office, the literal underground sex party sets, etc. That's not to mention the sweeping landscape and city shots they get.
    edited July 30
    Shiv and Tom in the car was awesome. Also, the British lady was funny. Still hate the show and everyone in it, but can't stop watching.

"Connor doesn't really do anything."
    All the Chickens
    Freddy said:

"Safeguarding 30,000 acres of wilderness. That's NOTHING?

Being on the verge of setting up a podcast on Napoleonic History with a  considerable level of investment interest, that's nothing?????"
    Freddy
    Freddy said:

"Safeguarding 30,000 acres of wilderness. That's NOTHING?

Being on the verge of setting up a podcast on Napoleonic History with a  considerable level of investment interest, that's nothing?????"
    I was dying laughing at that scene. Might be the best episode yet. So many good one liners.

Still hate the show. Ha ha.
  • edited July 31
    This truly been the best show on TV so far this year. I really don't get the " white rich people on TV " critique and how i should care about them ? It's a TV show it's not reality so why can't we enjoy the story? If anything the show is showing how miserable these rich people are . Also the show been very very funny . This of course comes from a certainly not rich  not white person 
  • "I'm carrying a case on my wedding eve!"

Comedy is easily the show's strong suit and I think it's getting better and better as the characters develop. I laughed out loud more in this last episode than in most comedies. It's also why Roman is my favorite character, he fully embraces his douchiness and amorality so Kieran Culkin can really have fun with the character. He's in many ways the opposite of Connor whom I find insufferable.

As much as I like the intro music to me it's way overused within the episodes, it's pretty distracting and at the top of my head I can't think of any other show that does this.
    RenaisWomn
  • I'm surprised so many people like Tom and Roman. Those are the mty least favorite characters on the show. Maybe because I think they are both the biggest assholes. 

Overall still an enjoyable TV show, but not something I'd typically watch. 

ghm3 said:
    "I'm carrying a case on my wedding eve!"

Comedy is easily the show's strong suit and I think it's getting better and better as the characters develop. I laughed out loud more in this last episode than in most comedies. It's also why Roman is my favorite character, he fully embraces his douchiness and amorality so Kieran Culkin can really have fun with the character. He's in many ways the opposite of Connor whom I find insufferable.

As much as I like the intro music to me it's way overused within the episodes, it's pretty distracting and at the top of my head I can't think of any other show that does this.
    I didn't really find it distracting until this latest episode. It was used for Logan's entrance to the wedding party and just seemed too on-the-nose. I do like the intro music as well. But just like in other shows when theme music is used in an episode proper it takes me out of it.

There are examples where it is used better than others, one of my favorites was in Granite State where at the climax of the episode the composer does a riff on the theme music that you don't know it is coming until your ears and brain put it together in a masterful way. The X-Files did the same thing at times beautifully. Here it was just was just the theme and seemed boring and lazy. With that said, this episode was miles ahead of the last episode, thankfully. 
    ghm3