Succession - HBO

Anyone been watching this?  I was cursing under my breath every time the promos came on for the last couple months because the premise seemed abhorrent to me, and I still don't really understand why this got made, in today's political climate.  It's basically billionaire-white-privilege the show, but it's strangely compelling.  I don't want to care about any of the protagonists, but it's so well-written that I do just want to see what happens next.  I haven't even watched Westworld this week but I got excited about this.  Matthew Macfadyen, Nicholas Braun, and Kieran Culkin bring some quality comedy that almost hits an Arrested Development tone, but in a much more serious setting.  It's weird.  The humor feels British.  To make another comparison, it's a bit like Billions but less sensationalized, if that appeals to you.  The first couple scenes of the first episode were pretty rough, but I do think it's worth a watch, and was kind of surprised not to see any discussion on it yet.
Cecily

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, I kept meaning to start a thread, because if there is one I haven't seen it. Its become my Monday night show. I've really been loving it. Usually it takes a bit longer for a show to get its hooks in me, but this one had me from the jump. I agree with you that it is an odd time to see this being made. I barely remember seeing anyone without white skin and a speaking role. It drips of privilege and insufferable characters, but it is smartly written and the dialogue is snappy.

It does have an Arrested Development feel to it now that you mention it. It has the older matriarch, a (seemingly) conniving mom, a son poised to take over the company, a younger more brash son, a conniving daughter with a problematic male partner, and a bumbling nephew (I think?). 

I also saw that after the second episode HBO had already renewed it. I was not surprised, but also happy to see it. With Game of Thrones ending they are probably holding onto their shows even if they are only moderately successful. Good stuff, and I highly recommend it. But I can easily see people not enjoying it just based on the demographic of characters that are being portrayed. 
    ken haleFreddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 19
    I hate Kendall. Really, I hate everyone in this show (except maybe Roman, and he still sucks too), but Kendall actually makes me want to turn the show off. I do love stock/major conglomerate/corporate espionage talk though, so I'm in for the long haul.
    ken hale
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    It's Westworld without robot cowboys. #TheJamesDelosStory
    RenaisWomn
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    So far I like it. Looking forward to the next episode. And I’d say it’s Westworld without robot cowboys, bad writing, and uninteresting characters. 
  • Agree that the characters are abhorrent for the most part (except perhaps cousin Craig/Greg?) but it really is a compelling story. And in the moments when its stock dips below "compelling," it's still a fun summer soap.  Moreover, it provided a nice boost after the disappointment of the last couple of WestWorld episodes. Excited to see where this goes. 

Matthew Macfadyen is killing it as a midwestern kid at the elite grownups table. He clings to Craig/Greg as a life raft of decency--decency, one suspects, that he recognizes from earlier days--at times abusing him and at others pulling him close. Seems like the way he alternately feels wistful for and yet above his humble midwestern roots. I think he's the most complicated character.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Are we spoilering this thread?

I though it was low key hilarious that they chose a song about Harlan Country with striking coal miners, scabs and the coal bosses to play at the end of Episode 6.
    Man each episode seems to be better than the last. If I had to point out a flaw it’s that I can usually see the general direction and twists of the episode. But when they pull those twists off as entertainingly as they have been I have a hard time complaining. 
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Connor's ranch is hilarious. See that nonsense all over New Mexico. Rich people are all about themes. They really love their themes.
    Freddy said:
    Connor's ranch is hilarious. See that nonsense all over New Mexico. Rich people are all about themes. They really love their themes.
    I loved and hated that thing at the same time. There was something really pretty about it...but then there was SO much of it. I did think the pool was pretty badass though. That was a great final shot to the episode of the camera following Logan as he gets out of the pool. I think we see a bunch of scarring on his shoulders too. I am curious to find out more about that. 
    I doubt Logan continues to recover so robustly.  I wonder what will happen when/if he goes down again and all this nastiness has come out....
  • I love this show.  Because the Big Short is my fave movie, I was already set to like it.  I'm disappointed nobody covers it.  Does any have an opinion as to why it's barely covered?
    Sweshrung said:
    I love this show.  Because the Big Short is my fave movie, I was already set to like it.  I'm disappointed nobody covers it.  Does any have an opinion as to why it's barely covered?
    I can't speak to lack of coverage, but I do think its a strange time for a show like this to be produced. I'm glad as hell that it is, but the political climate of things makes for odd timing to see a show with so much privileged white maleness. I understand that this is poked fun at plenty, but it could be off-putting for many. It must be doing satisfactory though because HBO already ordered a second season. 
    Sweshrung
  • I have a terribly implausible idea that since this is purported to be based on Murdoch’s fam bam, that media recap coverage has been suppressed. 
  • I'm not sure I really like this show, but yet I've watched every episode so far. These are the type of people I really hate, and they do some pretty terrible things. Yet what can i say, it's  entertaining.
    edited 4:03AM
    One thing that's a little weird is that Shiv is such a hot political operator.  You'd think a total lack of grounding in real life would preclude her from being useful as a campaign planner, but perhaps being around all the media and television all her life balances it out.