New to Book and Show (Unspoiled)

Hey there,

Don't post here much but I have been audiobooking  The Expanse novels (almost through Caliban's War/Book 2) on my bike commute. Really loved the first book and second book is good as well. I started trying to watch the first season of the show and felt like some stuff (particularly Earth stuff) would spoil future books and stopped watching after 3rd episode. I do like the show and hear it gets better. My question is for any of you who have read the books and watched the show. At what point in the books could I say watch the first season without it spoiling the future books. Is there another such point for season 2? Any general guidance would be appreciated. Thanks team (this is all, of course, just so I can start the Beltalowda podcast of course)
Freiberg

Comments

• edited June 19
    Well, I don't remember exactly what they brought from the books to season 1, but once you finish book 2 (which you say you're close to) you're in the clear for the first 2 seasons of the show (and the first half of season 3). Book 3 starts pretty much at the 7th episode of season 3.
    This is such a unique situation as book 1 only had Holden and Miller, I was pretty confused too when I started reading. But it gets closer to following the books later and there won't be such a division.
    Byrdie
  • Great, thanks mate.
    Reni
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    For some reason the first season of the tv show covers the first half of book one. Season two covers the second half of book one and the first half of book two. Season three covers the second half of book two and the first half of book three and so on. 
    Byrdie
  • Right on, that is what I am wanting to know. Roughly how they translate the narrative into chunks of seasons. Also whether there are any landmines of spoilers that get moved early into the narrative because we can see the characters or whatever other narrative conveniences may have been necessary. Appreciate the input. Cheers
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited June 20
    They do advance characters in the show like Avasarala - appears in book 2 and Anna appears in book 3. They also combine characters in the tv show. 
  • Elisa said:
    For some reason the first season of the tv show covers the first half of book one. Season two covers the second half of book one and the first half of book two. Season three covers the second half of book two and the first half of book three and so on. 
    I don't know, I have a feeling they will power through all of book 3 in the remaining episodes. They changed it up quite a bit and I don't think there's enough story left for 3 more eps plus another half season.
    Elisa
  • Okay, I know I’m late getting on board, but I’m here!  Just finished season 1 and I’m about halfway through book 1.  I can’t believe I’ve missed out on this amazing show/book series this long (I basically don’t watch tv unless there’s a Bald Move podcast about it, I don’t have the time to explore new shows but I know if Jim and A.Ron discuss it it guarantees a quality product).  Anyway, I’m powering through so I can start listening to Beltalowda and can join in anxiously awaiting season 4!

A question though, season 3 isn’t on Prime but seems like it’s on the SyFy website.  I haven’t had a chance to sit down at an actual computer and only know that it won’t load on a phone.  Is it available to stream, and if so do I need some sort of SyFy account and/or a cable subscription?  Probably should find a better place to ask these questions, but I don’t want to accidentally spoil myself for future seasons.
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Okay, I know I’m late getting on board, but I’m here!  Just finished season 1 and I’m about halfway through book 1.  I can’t believe I’ve missed out on this amazing show/book series this long (I basically don’t watch tv unless there’s a Bald Move podcast about it, I don’t have the time to explore new shows but I know if Jim and A.Ron discuss it it guarantees a quality product).  Anyway, I’m powering through so I can start listening to Beltalowda and can join in anxiously awaiting season 4!

A question though, season 3 isn’t on Prime but seems like it’s on the SyFy website.  I haven’t had a chance to sit down at an actual computer and only know that it won’t load on a phone.  Is it available to stream, and if so do I need some sort of SyFy account and/or a cable subscription?  Probably should find a better place to ask these questions, but I don’t want to accidentally spoil myself for future seasons.

I bought it for $30 on Amazon. Not an option? I'm betting you can stream it on SyFy if you have a cable login... that seems to be how most networks do it.