"Gods of Thrones" or, "A.Ron writes another book!"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited June 19 in Game of Thrones
So today is the officially official launch of the Kickstarter to publish a book I have co-authored, that will probably be called Gods of Thrones. My co-author is Anthony Le Donne, a religious scholar who has published several tomes on Jewish and Christian origins.  Anthony approached me back in January about an idea he had to examine the religions of Song/Game as if they were real, and use connections to their real life historical counterpoints Martin used for inspiration to glean new insights into the plot and characters we all love. I thought his ideas were extremely interesting, and over several lunch / breakfast / skype sessions we hammered out the basic outline of the book and decided on a tone the work should have, which I would describe as irreverent scholarship. 

We shopped the idea around to several publishers, and we had a few offers. The problem was that a lot of the academic press Anthony traditionally has dealt with wasn't too crazy about the irreverence, and the popular press wasn't too crazy on the deep dives into obscure ancient faiths. I think it was me who suggested the "fuck it, what if we Kickstart this thing and publish it ourselves?" And now we're here:

book.baldmove.com

I don't want to belabor the point, because there is a whole page and video explaining what we're trying to do and how you can help and what you can expect to get out of the project as a backer. But I honestly think this is a cool project, I've learned a ton, Anthony has some great ideas, I've laughed aloud at several points in the manuscript we have so far, and I think the average Game of Thrones fan will find this book insightful and entertaining. 

In the weeks to come,  (the campaign lasts until August 8th, 2018) we'll be previewing art, samples text from the book, do a Q&A session, and hopefully entice enough people to help out and we'll get to do this thing.  I'll also start up a FAQ for those FAQs that people tend to have. Maybe you have some.  Maybe we can even discuss them in the space below?
JaimieTgguenotNoelTravisMrXKingKobraReniMichelleFlukescdriveand 18 others.

Comments

• Pledged! Can you sign my e-book at a future BM meetup?
    Cecily
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, publishing houses are run by a lot of people who don't understand what tone appeals to the younger generation. This is smart. It'll do well. And congratulations! Writing books is hard.
    A_Ron_HubbardCecilyMattyWeavesCodyHarris821
  • The real question is ... will this come out before Winds of Winter?
    gguenotMichelleNoelTravisA_Ron_HubbardOliviaDKingKobraFlukesCecilyMattyWeavesand 8 others.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    This is fantastic. And good luck, gentlemen.
    A_Ron_HubbardCecilyMurderbear
  • Where the physical prizes say "ships to only certain countries"... Which countries are those?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    What’s the difference between $8 & $10?
  • Alkaid13 said:
    What’s the difference between $8 & $10?
    $2

/womp womp
    A_Ron_HubbardKingKobraCecilyNoelMurderbearChinaskigjulleenReniCodyHarris821sbench2
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Thanks everybody! The countries are US, Canada, Australia, and the EU. I'm open to adding others, those are just the ones I've setup to start with.

The difference between the 8 and 10 dollar tier is literally 2 bucks. It's limited to 200 to encourage early backing participation.
    gguenot said:
    Pledged! Can you sign my e-book at a future BM meetup?
    Since I will literally sign anything a fan asks me to on general principle, I'll go out on a limb and say, "yes".
    gguenotstevenduran1240darthcaedus1138
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 19
    I'm definitely going to pledge once I get paid this week.  :)
    Good luck!  This is awesome!
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    MrX said:
    The real question is ... will this come out before Winds of Winter?
    I kinda hope so, since a surprise Winds release could potentially invalidate some of our work, haha. But the gauntlet has been thrown. Our shit comes out this November. Your move, George.
    MichelleMrXKingKobrastevenduran1240budesignsdarthcaedus1138
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Pledged. My wife will force me to get rid of a t-shirt to make space for this one, so this is kind of a big deal
    A_Ron_HubbardCecily
    Flukes said:
    Pledged. My wife will force me to get rid of a t-shirt to make space for this one, so this is kind of a big deal
    Good time to get rid of your Nerdist t-shirt, if you have one.
    CecilyFlukesA_Ron_HubbardJaimieTakritenbrinkgguenothisdudeness915
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 19
    Michelle said:
    Flukes said:
    Good time to get rid of your Nerdist t-shirt, if you have one.
    Or your Nickelback shirt. If you have one, you definitely have the other.
    FlukesA_Ron_HubbardCecilyMichelleakritenbrinkhisdudeness915
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    congrats sir. very cool. just pledged. was a little bummed there wasn't a 'Special Edition Audiobook read by Paul Giamatti' pledge option.. but then again that would be priceless.

FlukesA_Ron_HubbardCecilyMurderbearMichellegguenotstevenduran1240
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    You mentioned this before, on a lunch I think, and it sounded awesome then. It looks even better now.

This is out of genuine curiosity, because I think the whole process is ridiculous, but did you guys query any agents?

I like and support the whole, "fuck it, we'll do it live," thing. You'll get so much more control over everything and if Bald Move is any indication, that type of creative freedom is sits pretty well in your favor.

I think with something as popular as Thrones, and feeding into the need for people to analyze and speculate on everything, this is ripe for success. 

Of course... If this exceeds expectations, you'll need to do a small Leftovers spin off.
    CecilyA_Ron_Hubbard
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Michelle said:
    I'm definitely going to pledge once I get paid this week.  :)
    Good luck!  This is awesome!
    Do it before you get paid. Aren’t Jim and Aron always saying to take on smart debt? I think it applies here.
    A_Ron_HubbardMichelleakritenbrinkFlukesKingKobrastevenduran1240
  • edited June 20
    Book's going to be awesome A.Ron!

Officially backed!
    CecilyA_Ron_Hubbard
    edited June 20

This is out of genuine curiosity, because I think the whole process is ridiculous, but did you guys query any agents?

Of course... If this exceeds expectations, you'll need to do a small Leftovers spin off.
    Anthony does have a literary agent. It was a neat experience taking meetings with publishers. The experience will probably be valuable if I ever want to try and get something published in the future. Which I kind of do. That was definitely tempting, as it's long been a dream of mine to write something and have it be optioned. It feels more legit, somehow. On the other hand, this method certainly has its charms! 

It's funny you mention The Leftovers, because that came up during an early meeting! I don't know that it will happen, because it's such a small potential audience and it would probably be the opposite of a "fun" book to write, to say the least.
    MattyWeavesdarthcaedus1138
  • The $50 level (paperback book) does not include the t-shirt? Didn't look like the $100 did, either..? Just double-checking. I think $35 is my limit anyway
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    There's nothing saying you can't publish it through a publisher later if you find the right deal. 
    Good luck with your project! It sounds interesting and unique.
    A_Ron_Hubbardstevenduran1240
    No, there is only one tshirt tier right now. You have to really think hard before you start bundling physical items because it's real easy to get in trouble in terms of money raised vs cost to fulfill. I think we're going to make it an add on option when people finalize their pledges at the end of the campaign.
    JaimieTKingKobrasbench2
  • Plot Twist: everyone receives the Sapiens ebook instead 
    darwinfeeshyMattyWeaveshisdudeness915A_Ron_HubbardKingKobraFlukesNoelMrXmvcpachecoMichelleand 8 others.
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited June 20
    Is there gonna be an entire chapter dedicated to the mystery of whether or not the gold reached Kings Landing? 
    A_Ron_HubbardFlukesMichellegjulleenAussieGregdarthcaedus1138
  • I definitely need to sign up on kickstart so I can pledge.  I looked at it last night and I'm a physical book kind of guy.
  • I definitely need to sign up on kickstart so I can pledge.  I looked at it last night and I'm a physical book kind of guy.
    You don't need to sign up, you can pledge as a guest. That's how I did it.
    Flukes
  • Reni said:
    I definitely need to sign up on kickstart so I can pledge.  I looked at it last night and I'm a physical book kind of guy.
    You don't need to sign up, you can pledge as a guest. That's how I did it.
    Good to know, thanks.  I'm definitely not familiar with kickstart and  I didn't really have time to look into it much last night when I first saw it.  
    Reni
  • mvcpachecomvcpacheco Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Just pledged my 8 bucks. It's not a lot but I hope the book will be successful! I'd love to import a physical copy (No Brazil on the list of countries :( ).
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    Backed.  Good luck!  :)
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    What was your first book?

Pledged.