AMC's combat against moviepass

AMC is my go to theater of choice so this definitely will have my money once it rolls out.  Especially beings they will also include Dolby theater showings included with this.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/20/amc-stubs-a-list-moviepass/
JaimieT

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    No! Keep the plebs out of my Dolby cinema!
    I'll probably pass on this though. I'm also not a subscriber of Netflix, Hulu, etc, either. I just don't like the pressure of "getting my money's worth," and I don't use any of these things enough for it to matter.

That said, this looks much more appealing than MoviePass. 
  • Are we seeing the death throes of the theater industry here? Like, I can't imagine anyone but people who go to movies all the time buying this, so this could be a huge cut into revenue for them. 
    JaimieT
    asmallcat said:
    Are we seeing the death throes of the theater industry here? Like, I can't imagine anyone but people who go to movies all the time buying this, so this could be a huge cut into revenue for them. 

I can only speak for myself here, but another reason I don't want to get this is I know I'll spend $60/month on concessions. So we're looking at an $80/month, ~$1000/year potential expenditure. Here's the part where I'll try to speak for other people though... many people are not as big-picture about money as I am.
  • JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:
    Are we seeing the death throes of the theater industry here? Like, I can't imagine anyone but people who go to movies all the time buying this, so this could be a huge cut into revenue for them. 

I can only speak for myself here, but another reason I don't want to get this is I know I'll spend $60/month on concessions. So we're looking at an $80/month, ~$1000/year potential expenditure. Here's the part where I'll try to speak for other people though... many people are not as big-picture about money as I am.
    See I'm exactly the opposite.  I don't ever buy concessions so I don't have to factor that in at all.  My Dolby ticket is about $17.00 on a normal day so it dang near pays for it with 1 movie a month and especially the rate I've been going to movies it'll definitely be worth it.  With them limiting it to 3 movies though seems a little low for a $20 dollar a month if you aren't going to a premium showing.  I would only be saving about $12 if I go to 3 showings a month but as long as they do include the Dolby showings with that deal I'm sold.
    JaimieT
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 2018
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:

Go with someone with a big purse.  I never buy concessions.  I buy them beforehand at like Walgreens or wherever, then bring them in in my purse, which is big enough that when I'm paying for my ticket, they can't see what's inside it.  :wink:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:

See I'm exactly the opposite.  I don't ever buy concessions so I don't have to factor that in at all.  My Dolby ticket is about $17.00 on a normal day so it dang near pays for it with 1 movie a month and especially the rate I've been going to movies it'll definitely be worth it.  With them limiting it to 3 movies though seems a little low for a $20 dollar a month if you aren't going to a premium showing.  I would only be saving about $12 if I go to 3 showings a month but as long as they do include the Dolby showings with that deal I'm sold.

It's 3 movies a week.
    KingKobra
    Michelle said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:

Go with someone with a big purse.  I never buy concessions.  I buy them beforehand at like Walgreens or wherever, then bring them in in my purse, which is big enough that when I'm paying for my ticket, they can't see what's inside it.  :wink:

Ha! I thought you meant that metaphorically. "Go with someone who has a lot of money!" 
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    If the ticket prices were keeping us at home, this would be a steal for how often we want to hit the theaters. But nah, it's more about not wanting to ask our parents to watch the little one multiple times in a 2 week span. 

JaimieT
  • JaimieT said:
    JaimieT said:
    asmallcat said:

It's 3 movies a week.
    Yup definitely misread that one.  That's even better yet.  And the biggest reason I don't have moviepass already is because I always prebuy my tickets several days in advance, very rarely the day of so that makes this even better.  
    JaimieT
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    Best news I've heard all day. I pretty much exclusively use AMC so this is right up my alley.
    awookiee
    If the ticket prices were keeping us at home, this would be a steal for how often we want to hit the theaters. But nah, it's more about not wanting to ask our parents to watch the little one multiple times in a 2 week span. 

Same about the ticket prices, but more a time expenditure problem for me. I did 3 movies in one month just now (Solo, Ocean's 8, Incredibles 2), and I am relieved I get a break for a while. 

... It might also be sequels don't excite me that much.

If I could do this during November, December, January, without a big penalty, I'm looking into that. I love watching the Oscar bait.