Petty grievances

DeeDee Adelaide
There are a lot of big shitty things happening at the moment, things many of us find upsetting. But today I would like to lighten the mood a tad and hear about those petty things that do your head in. Those stupid things that have no effect on you and you’re almost ashamed that they bother you, but they still do. What grinds your gears? 

(Let’s be harmless here - I don’t want this to degenerate into a churlish argument about kids screaming on aeroplanes or old people driving or whatnot. Let’s not hurt other people’s feelings.) 

So for me, muffins make me angry. They are just cakes without the fun - they’re generally no healthier. Also, what’s with the size of them now? They’re so huge and you can’t get small ones usually (or at least not in Adelaide), so if you’re starving and in some cafe that doesn’t have much else to choose from (who the hell is eating friands ffs? Why do cafes keep making those?), you’re stuck buying a humungous, disappointing, pretending-to-be-healthy fake cake that you’ll probably only eat four bites of before you’re over it. 

TL;DR - muffins suck. 
ChinaskiKingKobraNervousRhinoMattyWeavesphoenyx1023Frakkin TMichelleTravisDummyduncanpowersand 1 other.

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Can I ban a fellow mod crimes against humanity and baking? You start with off with muffin hate as your non-serious topic Dee?! These are fighting words!!!
    ChinaskiKingKobrahisdudeness915MichelleDeeFlukesTravisTaraC73
  • What a great idea! I like it. 

People that talk to me when I’m reading or start looking over my shoulder with that “Whatcha reading?” Shit!   That racks my nerves more than it should and I always feel bad for snapping. 
    ChinaskiMichelleDeeTravisEine Frau
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    What a great idea! I like it. 

People that talk to me when I’m reading or start looking over my shoulder with that “Whatcha reading?” Shit!   That racks my nerves more than it should and I always feel bad for snapping. 
    would be awesome if one of those people was looking over your shoulder as you typed that.
    NervousRhinoMichelleTravisTaraC73
  • Chinaski said:
    would be awesome if one of those people was looking over your shoulder as you typed that.
    Invade my privacy at your own risk :)
    ChinaskiTravis
  • @Dee I think a revolt is in order now. BTW we have mini muffins still here (so you can have a small snack). They are not as popular as the big ones though so they can be harder to find outside of supermarkets. Of course a nice Coffe Cake Muffin grilled with butter is heavenly....
    JaimieTDeeTravis
    Homemade Blueberry Muffins are the KING (or Queen) of breakfast pastries and I will entertain no arguments on this point!!!
    Frakkin TBelleTravisweeniegirl
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I order almost all my food plain. This apparently is one of the hardest things to comprehend for almost everyone.

"plain hamburger and fries please."

"would you like cheese?"

*me internally exploding*

"no thank you. Just plain."

I can only order from Panera with their app because it let's me order a plain chicken sandwich. There is no chicken sandwich on their menu so I order a turkey sandwich, cancel the condiments, add chicken and change the bread.

If I do this in store, they need to call over a manager.
    Frakkin Tmajjam0770MichelleDeeTravisWarpFoxTaraC73
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    BBQ sauce on burgers. I hate when i get surprised by it. Seems like its becoming more and more popular to have BBQ sauce on burgers. At least the places I have visited recently. Ruins the whole burger and its not like pickles or tomatoes you can just take off. 
    Frakkin TKingKobraMichelleDeeTravisCodyHarris821
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I do like a muffin now and again but I'd rather a bagel or a donut every time. Agree with @Hatorian about the BBQ sauce; it's good if that's what you want but if they do it by default without disclosing that's some shady shit. 

What really gets me is stop signs, or more specifically people who don't come to a complete stop at them. Maybe it's because I didn't start driving until I was 39 but that shit bugs me to no end. Stop means stop, not take your foot off the gas and coast, not slow down to a crawl and creep across the intersection while looking both ways, STOP. If I ever get murdered in a road rage incident, you can be 100% this was the cause. 
    Alkaid13HatorianDeeTaraC73
    Oh god don’t get me started on how no one knows how fucking four way stops without lights or roundabouts work. There’s a clear system people, it’s not just anarchy!
    phoenyx1023ghm3MattyWeavesBelleMichelleDeeTaraC73weeniegirl
  • I had a lady at a grocery store beckon me over, thinking she might need something from a high shelf, I went to her and removed my ear bud (I was listening to Bald Move). 

She popped my my other earbud out and told me I was very rude. 

So this is a two-fer:

My petty peeve is someone who feels entitled to my attention when I have no reason at all to give it to them. 

Hers was having other people not prepared to give their undivided attention to her in case she did something important. 

For the record, I always take out my earbuds if I’m interacting with the cashier/run into someone I know/ask someone a question. I just like to listen to podcasts when I shop on my dinner break. 

BelleChinaskiKingKobraDeeakritenbrinkTravisTaraC73
    people that don’t say please or thank you

people that don’t use their turn signal

people that think it’s ok to clip their nails in the office

close talkers

to name a few  :|
    BelleMichelleKingKobraDeeTravisweeniegirl
  • edited June 21
    My petty grievance is grammar related (Yes, I’m THAT girl). But, it’s only really two things that grind my gears. 

1. When did ‘should of/could of/would of’ find its way into modern language? Seeing or hearing these words instead of ‘should have/could have/would have’ is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me. 

2. Here in Australia, I see or hear the word “youse” and I want to scream. It is usually used as the plural for you, but when spoken, makes the conversation sound like it’s about female sheep.

Okay, I’m done. :smile:
    ChinaskiNervousRhinoMichelleDeeTaraC73Chrissy1125
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Frakkin T said:
    I do like a muffin now and again but I'd rather a bagel or a donut every time. Agree with @Hatorian about the BBQ sauce; it's good if that's what you want but if they do it by default without disclosing that's some shady shit. 

What really gets me is stop signs, or more specifically people who don't come to a complete stop at them. Maybe it's because I didn't start driving until I was 39 but that shit bugs me to no end. Stop means stop, not take your foot off the gas and coast, not slow down to a crawl and creep across the intersection while looking both ways, STOP. If I ever get murdered in a road rage incident, you can be 100% this was the cause. 
    You've clearly never driven in California then.  There's a reason it's called a California stop.  :wink:
    Not that I do them!  Well... ok, maybe here & there but I always *try* to stop when I can!  Just, sometimes.. .I don't all the way,  lol
    ChinaskiTravisTaraC73
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited June 21
    People putting on perfume right before getting in the car.
    DeeFlukes
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Okay, here's my little pet peeve.  People who crack and pop their gum loudly when chewing it open-mouthed.  SO rude!  And also, girls who don't pick up their feet when walking, so their shoes make that sound like they're scuffing/sliding on the floor.   You usually find them at the mall.  
    BelleChinaskiTaraC73
    Michelle said:
    People who crack and pop their gum loudly when chewing it open-mouthed.  SO rude! 
    i almost posted that too haha.  people that chew food loudly and with their mouths open makes me cringe too.
    Michelle
    Hatorian said:
    BBQ sauce on burgers. I hate when i get surprised by it. Seems like its becoming more and more popular to have BBQ sauce on burgers. At least the places I have visited recently. Ruins the whole burger and its not like pickles or tomatoes you can just take off. 
    i don't have a problem with it if it involves onion rings, bacon and cheese. western bacon at Carl's Jr was my jam in my early 20's so maybe that's why.
    MichelleTravis
  • Ok I think I’ve found a compromise. We’ll send everyone who like pineapple pizza to Australia in exchange for all of the muffins. It’s the best deal ever, you’ll never get a better deal than that! 
    ChinaskiMichelleHatorianTaraC73
  • Belle said:

1. When did ‘should of/could of/would of’ find its way into modern language? Seeing or hearing these words instead of ‘should have/could have/would have’ is like fingernails on a chalkboard for me
    I’m so guilty of that, sorry!  Bad habits
    Belle
  • edited June 21
    Oh the people in the store when it’s busy and they stand right in the middle of the aisle with their cart blocking everything and won’t move when they see you trying to get through. 

Man do I hate the traffic lights in my city too! No one is even on the other sides, why are you stopping me at every damn light?!
    Chinaskighm3DeeTravis
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited June 21
    People who correct people who say "I could care less".  Seriously, I could/couldn't care less about your pedantry.
    NervousRhinoTravis
    Man do I hate the traffic lights in my city too! No one is even on the other sides, why are you stopping me at every damn light! 
    when i want a red to send or read a text i get green, when i'm in a hurry i get a red. yeah traffic lights suck. then again i hate areas that need traffic lights that don't have them. sorry traffic lights you can't win.
    NervousRhinoMichelleTaraC73
  • Psh. Next you'll tell my ranting about idiots begging the question and taking the reigns is a bad thing. Prescriptivism IS LIFE!!
    DeeTravis
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    People who block cross traffic at lights in heavy traffic.  Actually, this isn't a petty grievance, I think they should be warned sternly the first time and shot the second.
    Dee
  • Chinaski said:
    when i want a red to send or read a text i get green, when i'm in a hurry i get a red. yeah traffic lights suck. then again i hate areas that need traffic lights that don't have them. sorry traffic lights you can't win.
    That’s all so true. I started using that hack. When I’m stuck at a light and pissed I’ll just pick up my phone and start to text and boom it’s green. 
    Chinaski
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Hatorian said:
    It really is an overwhelming taste. And you definitely have to enjoy that sweetness with your burger to like it. I will say that I like Carl's Jr./Hardy's Western Bacon Cheeseburger. But it's not something I'd like on the regular. I usually avoid BBQ burgers like the plague. 
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    voodoorat said:
    People who correct people who say "I could care less".  Seriously, I could/couldn't care less about your pedantry.
    I wouldn't correct someone. But I am on the other end of the spectrum where that annoys me that people use it incorrectly. But I also get really irritated when people use "literally" wrong. No, the sky was not literally falling, sir. But again, not something I'd correct them on...just a pet peeve. 
    MichelleBelle
  • Oh the people in the store when it’s busy and they stand right in the middle of the aisle with their cart blocking everything and won’t move when they see you trying to get through. 

Man do I hate the traffic lights in my city too! No one is even on the other sides, why are you stopping me at every damn light?!
    So this isn't you I take it:

NervousRhino
  • edited June 21
    @ghm3   You just found my new happy place :)
This discussion has been closed.