Episode 516 - "Conquer"

Director: Greg Nicotero
Writer: Scott M. Gimple

Comments

• What if Sasha's tired ass shoots my Boo, Darryl? Just got a creepy gut feeling..... Damn damn daayyaaaammmm!!!
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    If I ever start up an outlaw gang during the apocalypse, I'm going to make sure to research obscure traditions practiced by the local founding fathers.
    Original_JosephTravis
  • Louballs77Louballs77 Coral Springs, FL
    Live watch down? Or is it just me
  • SdubSdub Cincinnati
    Looks like it ended after an hour... Maybe a goof b/c of the 90m episode
  • is jim and arron putting it back up
    I'm guessing they'll be back up for the instant cast
    And I hope glen is not the "surprise guest" on talking dead but it's looking that way!
    Aha Glenn lives!
    Travis
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    I'm so satisfied with what TWD has become this half season. This is the best it's ever been and this string of Alexandria episodes were great. 
    Underwoodksa1001TravisElisaSpookycat4
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Gotta say, I've been impressed with the final five episodes.  Not perfect, but so much better, so much more entertaining than the previous half.  And, the table is set for next season, too.  I'm genuinely interested in about everyone's plot except for Gabriel at this point.
    HatorianTravisElisaTaraC73
  • Did anyone else catch the Resident Evil reference? The walker that Gabriel killed had the exact same intro as the 1st zombie in the series.
    Hatorian
  • Carol went from being my favorite after Episode 1 of Season 5 to becoming worse to me than Gabriel- yes!- by the Season Finale. I think she's using "survival" as an excuse to be deceitful and do what she likes.  She was out of line and partially to blame for Reg's death (now with Noah the two "architects" are dead). Carol riled Pete up and made him angry - he had to prove he wasn't small so he went and grabbed the katana. Her way of dealing with him is the exact opposite of the way that might create anything positive, and sure to cause him to give subpar medical treatment to any of the group.  If she wanted to kill him and that were truly the moral thing to do, she could have just killed him. Instead she's trying to make him suffer.  There is definitely a sadistic streak in Carol, also clear by the way she talked to Sam.  Her interest in Jesse/Pete is a projection of her past and an attempt to "fix" her past inability to stand up to her own husband. Not to defend his beating of his wife, but he's clearly an alcoholic with a problem.
    littlemissscifiCoryJudithVA
  • A good finale - was expecting a tad more but overall satisfied.

As a whole, the Alexandria series of episode has been excellent. Whilst zombie killing 
    is great it was good to see the human interactions and tensions building up.

Also, the 2 'W' guys - What threat are they ? It's just the 2 of them ( that we've seen ) and 
    they have no ammo.
    Alexandria has weapons galore and now, Rick and crew.

We'll have to wait and see.

Elisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited March 2015
    Man Norman reedus was full of shit! Seems like a marketing ploy to me. Bring your Kleenex?!..gale Ann Hurd also talked up the episode too much. I'm pretty sure they overestimated our love for Reg WAY TOO much. Unless they expected us to shed a tear over mosquito guy. They got my hopes up and it was pretty much unnecessary to do so.

Also not sure how Glen gets out of that situation without a bite. If this wasn't the season finale I would say there's a chance he is bit but I doubt they can go an entire offseason and then episode 1 shows he was bit. Glad he is alive but seems a bit unrealistic.

Btw what is up with this gun rule!? Sascha had her gun in the walls, dudes that Rick greeted were holding guns. Wtf.

Best thing of the episode was clearly that Morgans payoff was awesome. Very interested to see his dynamic. How does he react to Rick killing a dude and how does his own actions of not killing the wolves impact the group negatively?

Oh and the chain zombie kill was def kill of the week!

Original_Josephlittlemissscifiksa1001FlashGordonCoryJovial_Falcon
  • edited March 2015
    - Man, it sure looks like the writers were playing the internet with that Morgan clue last episode.   It made the fireside scene super tense, especially since I thought the clearing looked the same as the one where Darryl and Aaron found the body parts.  I was waiting for Fabio Wolf to tell Morgan that he wanted Morgan's gloves. Of course, if the writers really planned that, they probably would need a sock puppet to show the clues on Reddit or something ....

- Morgan's bo staff doesn't bother me yet.   In general, it bugs me that these are comic book characters with comic book stuff like signature weapons - one of them uses a sniper rifle, another a hammer, no matter what the situation calls for - but Morgan and Michonne get a pass because they look so cool.

- A lot of the dialogue was great.   Gabriel's counselling of Sasha was darkly hilarious, and I loved Eugene's speech to Abraham and Abraham's to the town meeting.   The town meeting was great - it was very effective to hear the Rickians talking about why the town needed Rick, and they had me convinced.

- I wonder if Carol pushed Pete over the edge on purpose.   At first, I thought that she f-ed up, but from her perspective, Pete going postal would be the best thing that could happen for team Rick,  Pete's enough of a wimp that if he killed someone, it would probably be an Alexandrian (or maybe Tara), and Carol's easily ruthless enough to consider that an acceptable price to redeem Rick and toughen up the surviving Alexandrians.
    ElisaHatorianJudithVAA_Ron_Hubbard
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited March 2015
    Love Love Loved the episode.

The whole opening I was wondering if the W's actually had any ammo left, and sure enough they didn't.

Listened to the instant cast and was amazed that @Jim NEVER heard of the footsteps in the sand poem. I'm 1/2 an atheist and I've heard it several times (even from DMX)

As for @A_Ron_Hubbard & @Jim 's take on the Darryl and Aaron scene and them giving up; I was under the assumption that they only decided to make a run for it AFTER they saw the note (in blood no less) that it was a trap and bad people were coming.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the scene of Carol threatening Pete and wanting him to make a move so she could off him sooooooo reminded me of this scene from "The Breakfast Club". I was 1/2 expecting her to tell him she'd knock his dick in the dirt.

brewseveltElisahypergenesbJudithVA
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    Not exactly the finale I was expecting. But seeing as everyone was expecting someone to die. The biggest twist would be for no one to die. Keeps us all guessing.
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    No one who matters. I mean.
    Original_Joseph
  • I asked Jesus to carry me on the beach once. He was all like "you're from suburban Southern California. You can walk just fine." Whatevs, Jesus.

ksa1001A_Ron_Hubbard
  • I really enjoyed the finale. I definitely understand where there could have been a bit of a let down. It seemed that the "next time on..." pointed to a major clash of some sort, but I felt like the way they constructed the series of smaller showdowns kept me deeply engaged.

About Morgan's staff, I like it personally. Not only because watching him fight with it is very entertaining (which it most definitely is), but also because it is a generally non-lethal weapon to humans, but lethal to zombies due to their softer skulls, which someone with Morgan's leanings would appreciate and take advantage of. Plus again, it's very cool to watch.

I liked Rick's speech at the end a whole lot and it makes me particularly excited for where things will go next season. I don't have anything terribly interesting to say, but I really like the way they have set the table. Conflicts within (how are the Alexandrians going to take to the Ricktatorship, is Deanna going to regret buying into him once the shock of Reg's death wears off and once he starts gaining more power within the community), Morgan obviously wasn't a fan of seeing Rick execute Dr. Douchebag so where does that go? The Wolves are certainly bigger than just the three exiled men. How big is their group? How will the conflict between them and the Alexandrians shape up? Also what of the other "tribes" that the one wolf guy told Morgan about? There is a ton to work with here and I'm really, really excited to dive into it. I just hate that we have several months to wait for it. Great finale, and a great run in general over this last half season or so.

AntManBeeElisaUnderwoodHatorian
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited March 2015

- I wonder if Carol pushed Pete over the edge on purpose.   At first, I thought that she f-ed up, but from her perspective, Pete going postal would be the best thing that could happen for team Rick,  Pete's enough of a wimp that if he killed someone, it would probably be an Alexandrian (or maybe Tara), and Carol's easily ruthless enough to consider that an acceptable price to redeem Rick and toughen up the surviving Alexandrians.
    This was my impression.  Carol is an expert with abusive men, and she wound up Pete then held Rick back from acting on his own, didn't she tell Rick, "Not yet"?  I love Carol, but her ruthless pragmatism combined with her tendency to act on her own gives me pause.  There is a fine line between having leadership qualities and being secretive, manipulative, and arrogant, and I hope Carol doesn't continue to stray to the wrong side of that line.

TravisOriginal_JosephElisaJudithVAA_Ron_Hubbard
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

Maybe it's just me not peeling the onion back far enough, but I honestly looked at the Carol/Pete exchange on more of a face value level. I felt like she was giving Pete the "fuck you" that she was never able to give Ed. I thought that she hated him and wanted to emasculate him and make him feel powerless to turn the tables on him, but I think this all belonged in a smaller box of her personal justice and revenge, not necessarily a master plan. I can see the train of thought where it may have all been a manner to manipulate, and obviously it played out that way, but I don't 100% know that I buy into the fact that it was a plan that she would wind him up in order to have him act out in the future. She is a great manipulator, but it's a lot of foresight and I think it may be giving her a touch too much credit.

AntManBeeElisaHatorianlittlemissscifi
    @Travis  Even if that's true, that is still an incredibly selfish and thoughtless thing to do.  The majority of women who are killed by their abusers are killed when or shortly after they leave the abuser.  (It was also ridiculously stupid to move Pete directly across from his former home, but that's another issue.)  Carol may be projecting her own issues onto Pete, but I think she's too smart to know that he's not going to take that lying down.  
    Travis
  • edited March 2015
    Good point @Travis . I like the emasculation angle you take. I think that also comes through when she orders him to clean the casserole tray before returning it. 
    TravisElisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited March 2015

@Travis  Even if that's true, that is still an incredibly selfish and thoughtless thing to do.  The majority of women who are killed by their abusers are killed when or shortly after they leave the abuser.  (It was also ridiculously stupid to move Pete directly across from his former home, but that's another issue.)  Carol may be projecting her own issues onto Pete, but I think she's too smart to know that he's not going to take that lying down.  

That is totally fair, and I agree, but precisely like you said that's Carol being Carol and I swear it will be her downfall at some point. It is the same thing as her scaring the crap out of the kid, the same as her taking it upon herself to kill the sick people at the prison. I actually thought that her scaring the kid was going to result in a major conflict/divide between her and Rick and it seems that she has dodged that bullet for now, but her hubris is going to be her undoing. I do totally agree with that. I just thought that crediting her with intentionally manipulating Pete to his end/unleashing a crazed Pete to support Rick's case was giving her too much credit.

I definitely think Carol is a problem. A great and compelling problem as a viewer, but a real serious problem for the group. If anything I don't think she "strays" to the wrong side of the line. I think she kind of lives there.

pavlovsbellJudithVA
    @Travis I agree, Carol has been operating on her own in the shadows since teaching the children how to defend themselves and telling Carl to not tell Rick about it.  Her sneakiness and her propensity to act on what she judges to be an acceptable loss kind of makes her the Littlefinger of TWD, except that she is looking out for the group and not just herself.
    Travis
  • @pavlovsbell I really need to get on this GoT train, but from what I know (1 season and 3 books) that sounds like a great analogy. The one thing that I think is interesting going forward is that Rick is both indebted to her and kind of a malleable character and she is in his ear a whole lot. I don't think I can ever see him supporting what she did to Sam, but it would be interesting to see if she does start to bend him and his perspective more and more assuming that he continues to keep her as close as an advisor moving forward. Darryl was proving to be a very healthy voice in Rick's ear, but he's not around so much. Just a random thought that popped into my head.
    pavlovsbelllittlemissscifi
    @Travis I think Morgan will be Rick's advisor, and considering that he seems to be a polar opposite of Carol, that could make for some interesting conflict with both of them advising him differently.  But we also have Glenn stepping up, and he has taken a moral stance, as have Maggie and Sasha, so Carol's ruthlessness might make her feel alienated.
    TravisJudithVA
  • @pavlovsbell You're probably right. I actually hadn't considered a Morgan vs. Carol dynamic yet which could be incredibly intriguing. My only thought is that Carol's point of view tends to be one that can be seductive to a post Shane Rick. I do think that his speech and the circumstances surrounding has landed him the clout that he needs to act as a community leader with the transparency that is good for him to keep Carol's shadowy influence at bay, but (totally just playing all of this out in my head) her perspective is one that can be very poisonous to Rick. That said, I wonder if losing that weight in his ear will lead somewhere too, once he starts to completely buy into the community and feel that her approach is unnecessary. Once he starts making a lot of decisions that she doesn't agree with. That's all a little too much just wheel spinning, but I do feel like something has to come to a head with her in the near future. I'm really surprised that there were no repercussions to her threatening Sam. Something is coming, and I have to believe it's coming soon.
    JudithVApavlovsbell