Cinematography by Ray Dumas
Edited by Stephen Lawrence

313 credits:
Written by Naren Shankar and Ty Franck 
Directed by Simon Cellan Jones
Cinematography by Jeremy Benning 
Edited by Stephen Roque

Comments

• If someone would like to make the case to separate these make it now. 
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    edited June 2018
    Man, I looked at the lineup on Syfys site to check the times and there was a big ass spoiler just right there in the description. I know somebody in another thread warned not to read the descriptions but I forgot so if you care you're better off staying away from the episode description anywhere it shows up.
  • hypergenesbhypergenesb Atlanta
    edited June 2018
    To all Bald Move Beltalowdas: Just want to publicly admit that I was wrong about The Expanse. I tried 3 times to watch Season 1, and I never could get past episode 5. It just seemed too "murder mystery in space" cliche, and frankly, I couldn't get past my irrational hatred of Thomas Jane (I won't go into details). There has never been a show that so many in the Bald Move community love, that I did not. And I just couldn't understand it. So I stuck with Season 3 this year, mainly so I could enjoy & understand the podcast, and hoped I could derive what the love was all about. Right around episode 3.04, it started to really sink in - the appeal of the show. I started connecting with some of the characters, and finally saw how different their portrayal of life in space really was. So in parallel to watching S3, I watched Season 2 (which was f'ing fantastic). After I finished that, I watched Season 1. Yeah, it's a totally ass-backwards way to watch the show, but man, I really love The Expanse now. And Season 3 has been so rewarding. I'm still not ready to say this show is better than BSG, but I'm en route. Thanks for steering my ship into the ring. 
    Alkaid13MFGrkcrawfKingKobraElisaA_Ron_Hubbardphoenyx1023
     It just seemed too "murder mystery in space" cliche, and frankly, I couldn't get past my irrational hatred of Thomas Jane (I won't go into details)

This really threw me off the first season too, I really don't like Miller. He reminded me of a True Detective S2 character and I think I just kind of hate noire and the cheesy tropes that comes with it.
    rkcrawf
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    To all Bald Move Beltalowdas: Just want to publicly admit that I was wrong about The Expanse. I tried 3 times to watch Season 1, and I never could get past episode 5. It just seemed too "murder mystery in space" cliche, and frankly, I couldn't get past my irrational hatred of Thomas Jane (I won't go into details). There has never been a show that so many in the Bald Move community love, that I did not. And I just couldn't understand it. So I stuck with Season 3 this year, mainly so I could enjoy & understand the podcast, and hoped I could derive what the love was all about. Right around episode 3.04, it started to really sink in - the appeal of the show. I started connecting with some of the characters, and finally saw how different their portrayal of life in space really was. So in parallel to watching S3, I watched Season 2 (which was f'ing fantastic). After I finished that, I watched Season 1. Yeah, it's a totally ass-backwards way to watch the show, but man, I really love The Expanse now. And Season 3 has been so rewarding. I'm still not ready to say this show is better than BSG, but I'm en route. Thanks for steering my ship me into the ring. 

I wasn't crazy about Thomas Jane either... despised his whole storyline! On the 2nd watch it was my favorite storyline in the whole show. I'm not saying you'll change your mind about him, lol, just sympathizing that season 1 isn't the most accessible season of TV.
    rkcrawf
  • That's crazy, I love the character of Miller & Thomas Jane's acting. Even more so this season where his gets to play a different type of Miller.

Anyway happy to see that you made it through the ring @hypergenesb. This is such an exciting & creative show and I'm trying my best to promote it around but it's tough as in my mind it only gets very exciting after S1.
    hypergenesbElisa
  • To all Bald Move Beltalowdas: Just want to publicly admit that I was wrong about The Expanse. I tried 3 times to watch Season 1, and I never could get past episode 5. It just seemed too "murder mystery in space" cliche, and frankly, I couldn't get past my irrational hatred of Thomas Jane (I won't go into details). There has never been a show that so many in the Bald Move community love, that I did not. And I just couldn't understand it. So I stuck with Season 3 this year, mainly so I could enjoy & understand the podcast, and hoped I could derive what the love was all about. Right around episode 3.04, it started to really sink in - the appeal of the show. I started connecting with some of the characters, and finally saw how different their portrayal of life in space really was. So in parallel to watching S3, I watched Season 2 (which was f'ing fantastic). After I finished that, I watched Season 1. Yeah, it's a totally ass-backwards way to watch the show, but man, I really love The Expanse now. And Season 3 has been so rewarding. I'm still not ready to say this show is better than BSG, but I'm en route. Thanks for steering my ship into the ring. 
    I totally felt the same way about season 1. I watched it but felt very meh about the show. It wasn’t until season 2 that I actually started enjoying it. If it wasn’t for my wife I probably would have given up during the first season. Season 3 has been some of the best tv I’ve seen in awhile. 
  • That was the best hour plus of television I have watched this year. 
    ElisaThe_Third_Man
  • I also think airing them back to back made it a lot better and syfy gave up a lot of ad time to do it in an hour and a half.

johnnytruantrkcrawfElisaThe_Third_Man
  • God damn. I think The Expanse won the week (season? probably...). Ashford's heel turn was a little much, and Melba's face turn was pretty obvious, but other than that I loved this episode. Even Anna (who I have low-key hated) was giving me the feels. So glad Amazon picked it up. I have no idea what could be up for next season, but I'm excited. Maybe, I should finish the books.
    rkcrawfElisaMelonuskalexander.klassenDoctor_Nick
  • ncat said:
    I also think airing them back to back made it a lot better and syfy gave up a lot of ad time to do it in an hour and a half.

I couldn't even tell when the episode "switched." It didn't really seem like they edited it as two.
    rkcrawfElisa
  • edited June 2018
    I don’t wanna ishh on WW, but that was a supreme way to end a season. Literally on the edge of my seat about Drummer, Naomi, Bobbie, or even Holden biting it. 

312 was good. Might have felt empty if they had aired it on separate weeks, but I thought it was fine. 313 was just beyond impressive. 

Main nitpick is Holden not hearing Anna and Clarissa talking, and a Drummer not being able to just tell the crew that she’s back. The show set up the power base for Ashford, but they also set Drummer up as a charismatic figure with the crew. I also didn’t think Anna really understands that Amos doesn’t hate. He’s the embodiment of The Station. See threat. Eliminate threat. No feelings about it. Bygones. 

A+ season. I’d like to buy the world Amazon Prime so they can watch this show. 
    ElisaMFGA_Ron_Hubbard
  • A giant thank you to The Expanse for washing away my Westworld blues. 
    ElisarkcrawfSchluppJaimieTMFGThe_Third_ManA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Pretty exciting finale! I've holding off reading more after reading book one, but now there is no way I'd be able to wait. 

Who else loves that Bobby is back with Alex? I'm even intrigued by the Amos and Anna stuff. 
    Elisarkcrawf
  • Excellent Finale! My possible nitpick is that I think either Bobby or Mao should have died. With most all thenmakn cast making it, I do miss that feeling of danger for them. I’m not a book reader so I have no idea how things turn out, but especially with Clarissa’s speech itnwoild have made sense to me for her story to end with saving everyone (including Holden). 
    Doctor_Nick
  • edited June 2018
    Just super excellent. Like the polar opposite of Westworld, instead of having more problems than it's possible to list there were more amazing moments than I could process.

My only gripe, which might not be valid, is that I felt at first the only reason to be on Holden's side was meta. We know he's the protagonist so we know he's going to turn out to be right, but any logical person in that situation should not actually be trusting the revelations of someone who could be crazy or deceived. Maybe they should have frontloaded it with his reasoning that "we can't just keep reacting to something we don't understand" instead of putting that at the end, and having most of the 'good' characters blindly following the instructions of a proto-Miller they can't see. But in any case, it's way better than if they had painted the Ashford side as just obstructing what he was trying to do to artificially generate conflict. His motivation was great.

And dear God, I can't wait until next season when this is available on Prime. Paying for it on Google Play and having to wait up to two days for it to show up in the feed, and then getting impatient and pirating a version that's out of order was not the ideal way to watch it.
    rkcrawfMajorMalfunction
  • A thought crossed my mind when the show ended: What would I have felt like if Amazon didn't pick up the show and that was the last Expanse episode?

Instead of being excited about what is to come it would have been depressing knowing that was all there was. I couldn't compare it to Firefly for me because I never knew that show existed until way after it was over. I probably would have ended up re-reading the books over and over picturing the cast in my head and forever flinging hateful epithets whenever someone mentioned SyFy.
    rkcrawfElisa
    CapeGabe said:
    A thought crossed my mind when the show ended: What would I have felt like if Amazon didn't pick up the show and that was the last Expanse episode?

Instead of being excited about what is to come it would have been depressing knowing that was all there was. I couldn't compare it to Firefly for me because I never knew that show existed until way after it was over. I probably would have ended up re-reading the books over and over picturing the cast in my head and forever flinging hateful epithets whenever someone mentioned SyFy.
    I thought this would have been as good a place to end the series as any if they could only get 3 out of the nine season they wanted. You could imagine the story going in any direction from here but there aren't any huge dangling threads or unresolved character arcs unless I'm forgetting something.
    Elisa
  • Did the podcast get cut off at 1:07 ? It seemed to me it cut A.ron off mid sentence? 
  • There seems to be some confusion for some about shooting and the elevator in the slow zone. I thought there was a throw away line in an earlier episode that the ships were subject to the speed limit but not what was in them. I think the confusion arises from the MCRN Marine's bullets being frozen on the station when they tried to shoot Holden. Please correct me if I am misremembering.
    rkcrawfKingKobra
  • I think every season has been better than the one before it. As the showrunners said this could have worked as a series finale but I'm so glad there will be more.

Amos continues to be my favorite character:

"You're pissed, I get it. You want me to feel bad that you're angry. You want me to feel guilty that Cohen is dead, but I don't and I never will." 
    Eine Frauphoenyx1023
  • CapeGabe said:
    There seems to be some confusion for some about shooting and the elevator in the slow zone. I thought there was a throw away line in an earlier episode that the ships were subject to the speed limit but not what was in them. I think the confusion arises from the MCRN Marine's bullets being frozen on the station when they tried to shoot Holden. Please correct me if I am misremembering.
    You are correct. Bullets did not work in the station, but one bullet did work when the Lt killed himself. Not sure if there is a distinction between internal/external to a ship vs. inside the station. 

I could also read it as bullets not being a threat to the alien AI when they're fired on a ship, versus them being a threat when they were on the station. Also, not sure of the relative speed of that falling elevator.

I'm def willing to let it go.
  • @CapeGabe
    I do think the speed limit is somewhat confusing in the show but basically this is how it works: A: the 60mph speed limit only affects sufficiently sized objects like the space ships or nuclear explosions; things like bullets, elevators, etc. that are inside the ships can move at normal speed. B: the nucleus station itself has a separate defense mechanism which it can use to stop bullets in midair and also dissasimble people on a molecular level. Basically it only applies the speed limit to things it considers a threat, fusion reactors = threat so slow that shit down, bullets being shot inside it’s core = threat, people shooting each other in their own ships = I don’t care, do what you want. 
    alexander.klassenrkcrawf
  • You guys are right about the speed limit.  Things inside the ships don't seem to be affected in the same way the ships themselves are.  I thought it was just an hypothesis that one of the people threw out earlier this season but it's pretty obvious that they were right once you see the firefights that take place in the hall between Amos and the marines.  I missed this obvious point until several people emailed me after the podcast.
    KingKobrarkcrawf
  • Can't wait for season 4 on Amazon Prime!
    ElisaJaimieT
  • I think it would actually be really funny if Diogo survives that elevator crash and next season we just get a short scene of him in a full body cast with that shit eating grin. 
    rkcrawfMelonusk
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 2018
    An ancient civilization giving humanity the ability to travel vast distances via wormhole technology ... introduced to a single person by a projection of someone who died ... on a space-beach ....

"Small moves Holden, small moves" 

ElisaJaimieTGiovanniA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Did you see those sexy looks Bobbie was giving Alex at the end? Boblex confirmed.
    ElisaMrX
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Did you see those sexy looks Bobbie was giving Alex at the end? Boblex confirmed.

Yes, the most exciting thing.
    MFG
  • MFGMFG
    edited June 2018
    rkcrawf said:
    I don’t wanna ishh on WW, but that was a supreme way to end a season. Literally on the edge of my seat about Drummer, Naomi, Bobbie, or even Holden biting it. 

I was sooo worried about Drummer, she's one of my favorite characters. I laughed out loud in relief exactly when she did. Now A.Ron and everybody else knows why Naomi doesn't need to carry a gun B)
    rkcrawfA_Ron_Hubbard